E90Post
 


Alpine HID
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > All-Wheel-Drive (Xi / xDrive) Talk > Lack of acceleration top end ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-14-2013, 02:46 AM   #1
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Lack of acceleration top end ?

I was wondering if any other Xi guys here, specifically the N/A motors, are having trouble pulling past 80mph. Usually when I drag my friend (2013 Genisis Coupe 2.0t or the 2012 Honda Accord V6) I'll beat them to 60mph but once I hit 80 the car just becomes a total slug; they start pulling hard. I know that higher end AWD 1. weighs the car down and 2. its harder on the motor to give power to all 4 wheels as opposed to just 2 wheels (FWD or RWD). Its the AWD guys dilemma..although I hear the newer STIs can transfer the power to the rear, and the GTR does it through a computer.

The V6 Accord is a sleeper believe it or not, I don't expect to win against it. But the Genisis 2.0t is easy to beat to 70mph just after that, the awd makes it fall on its face. At least for me. Is it the same with anyone else or have you not noticed? My only hope is to pull the 4x4 fuse out but thats just annoying to do plus it can get sketchy driving around with DTC and ABS completely off due to that fuse. I mean, I can tie a string to the fuse and pull it out mid race

Also, I have a couple other things hopefully some of you can shed some light on. I know this has been covered a million times since the n52 has been out but maybe there's some new hope out there lol.

So far I've got:
-Gruppe M Intake
-Remus Powersound Muffler
-Resonator Delete
-Secondary Cat Delete
-AA Tune Stage 2
-and 1 sticker

What else is there to do? I've seen those few N52 track cars, they've got an upgraded head? (not sure, I hear its from an e36 m3) and cams. Anyone have info on those? Plus input on upgrading the diff. I've also heard about boring the throttle body?

Headers aren't an option for me because of smog laws in CA, but if that law passes about it just being an OBD2 scan instead of a sniffer test then its a possibility for me.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 04:45 AM   #2
TheEd
New Member
 
Drives: 07 328i
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Charlotte, NC

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

The car before my 328i was a Genesis Coupe (Albeit a 3.8 V6), the way the 2.0T is geared and when it spools up (Both stock and modified), it's just their nature to pull away at highway speeds. The stock V6 Coupes would dog even modified 2.0Ts off the line, but once up to speed, that's another story.

I think the best option for you would be a different or custom differential, like Turner offers, with a gear ratio better suited for what you want. That, or just wait for your friend's Coupe to get the dreaded gear grind (Synchros on the M6VR transmission are like they were made from glass).
TheEd is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 01:03 PM   #3
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
 
330xtrai's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
I have a 330xi I've raced a 2012 v6 accord coupe and beat it but it was like starting at like 60 or 70. it was very close but once we hit like 120 my car passed the accord. we did a few runs and i would win every time but it was really close. and my car was heavier too Two guys that weigh like 185lbs each vs 2 chicks that are probably 120lbs max lol. I think it could be due to the 3 stake intake manifold and stock 330 tune and maybe because i had my coilovers it was mostly straight though. Oh and dont say its because she was a girl shes a pretty good driver lol. only peformance mod i have is charcoal filter delete and coilovers lol.
Also it could be that i have 2 stickers :P
330xtrai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 01:07 PM   #4
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 330xtrai View Post
I have a 330xi I've raced a 2012 v6 accord coupe and beat it but it was like starting at like 60 or 70. it was very close but once we hit like 120 my car passed the accord. we did a few runs and i would win every time but it was really close. and my car was heavier too Two guys that weigh like 185lbs each vs 2 chicks that are probably 120lbs max lol. I think it could be due to the 3 stake intake manifold and stock 330 tune and maybe because i had my coilovers it was mostly straight though. Oh and dont say its because she was a girl shes a pretty good driver lol. only peformance mod i have is charcoal filter delete and coilovers lol.
Also it could be that i have 2 stickers :P
Was she "manually" shifting? Makes a world of a difference for that car. I don't know how to tell you but my friends accord is a factory freak...plus he has a J pipe which is comparable to a downpipe. Supposedly adds 20hp (that car is very restrictive) but thats still impressive that you beat them even until 120mph. Although, the coupe is heavier than the sedan. I wonder whats wrong with my car
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |

Last edited by Amini77; 12-14-2013 at 01:15 PM.
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 01:09 PM   #5
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEd View Post
The car before my 328i was a Genesis Coupe (Albeit a 3.8 V6), the way the 2.0T is geared and when it spools up (Both stock and modified), it's just their nature to pull away at highway speeds. The stock V6 Coupes would dog even modified 2.0Ts off the line, but once up to speed, that's another story.

I think the best option for you would be a different or custom differential, like Turner offers, with a gear ratio better suited for what you want. That, or just wait for your friend's Coupe to get the dreaded gear grind (Synchros on the M6VR transmission are like they were made from glass).
I was considering the diff upgrade but I'd only have to get it for the rear right? My car has 2 remember.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 01:24 PM   #6
330xtrai
Do you even post BRO?
 
330xtrai's Avatar
 
Drives: 330xi
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: New Jersey

Posts: 1,412
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 BMW 330xi  [0.00]
Both our cars were auto I don't think she was shifting manually I'm not sure. But after 120 I was leading. she probably hit speed limiter. Idk but it could be 3 stage intake but I doubt it since I think at high speeds/rpm it's fully open but I could be wrong. And her car is completely stock. Maybe that j pipe helped. Yah Hondas are pretty restrictive I think that's how Hondas last so long.
330xtrai is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 02:12 PM   #7
evo335xi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ct

Posts: 317
iTrader: (0)

Power to weight/gearing/aerodynamics etc all play a roll. I don't think Hondas are reliable because they are restrictive hah
evo335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 03:40 PM   #8
CoralRed335XI
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335XI Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: NJ,MD

Posts: 348
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 BMW 335XI  [0.50]
My car is a beast down low, but loses that punch on the top-end... But I have a 335 and that's an artifact of small turbos. If you get a 335, you will smoke all your friends
__________________
2008 E92 335XI, Space Gray on Coral Red, Premium, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, iPod.
CoralRed335XI is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-17-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
My car is a beast down low, but loses that punch on the top-end... But I have a 335 and that's an artifact of small turbos. If you get a 335, you will smoke all your friends
Yeah but that thing is a beast all around haha I guess you can say its semi-beast high-end. I just work with what I have, this is my first car I've had it for 2 and a half years and I've put too much in it so its too late to go back on it lol.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #10
WachYourBac
E6 - SSG
 
Drives: 2007 BMW 328XI
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Philadelphia

Posts: 39
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amini77 View Post
I was wondering if any other Xi guys here, specifically the N/A motors, are having trouble pulling past 80mph. Usually when I drag my friend (2013 Genisis Coupe 2.0t or the 2012 Honda Accord V6) I'll beat them to 60mph but once I hit 80 the car just becomes a total slug; they start pulling hard. I know that higher end AWD 1. weighs the car down and 2. its harder on the motor to give power to all 4 wheels as opposed to just 2 wheels (FWD or RWD). Its the AWD guys dilemma..although I hear the newer STIs can transfer the power to the rear, and the GTR does it through a computer.

I've never had that problem, and mines bone stock. On the highway cruising at 80 in 6th I can drop it to 5th and pull to 100+ easily and continue to pull well into 6th...

I've never drag raced anyone, but I've done a few speed runs, and I've still never had a problem getting well over 130 mph in my stock 328xi
WachYourBac is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 11:42 PM   #11
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WachYourBac View Post
I've never had that problem, and mines bone stock. On the highway cruising at 80 in 6th I can drop it to 5th and pull to 100+ easily and continue to pull well into 6th...

I've never drag raced anyone, but I've done a few speed runs, and I've still never had a problem getting well over 130 mph in my stock 328xi
I'm not saying it can't get there without ease, it certainly can. But if you race someone to those speeds it doesn't perform too well, at least for me.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 09:09 PM   #12
TD27
New Member
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6Mt Monaco Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Atlanta, GA/Clemson, SC

Posts: 24
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
So does the power ratio, from front to back, change at speed? I've seen this on some of the other sport luxury cars to conserve fuel and such.
TD27 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-22-2013, 09:57 PM   #13
Amini77
Brigadier General
 
Amini77's Avatar
 
Drives: SGM E90 330xi
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tarzana, CA

Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 330XI  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TD27 View Post
So does the power ratio, from front to back, change at speed? I've seen this on some of the other sport luxury cars to conserve fuel and such.
I read somewhere that Xi gives up to 80% of the power to the rear wheels.
__________________

instagram: amini77
| KW V1 | LCI rear | 359m Style | Michelin PSS | AA Stage 2 | Gruppe M | Remus | Mtech Rear | M3 Front |
Amini77 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-23-2013, 01:42 PM   #14
v1nc86
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335xi
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: MTL

Posts: 395
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoralRed335XI View Post
My car is a beast down low, but loses that punch on the top-end... But I have a 335 and that's an artifact of small turbos.
Same here! Lack of top end power in my tuned 335...
__________________
2008 E90 335xi | 6AT / Alpina B3 Flash | BMS JB4 G5 | BMS SDL | BMS DCI | BMS CP | VRSF 5" FMIC (not installed yet) | BMW PE | VMR V718 / Kumho KU39 | Bilstein Sport / Eibach Pro-Kit | Best 1/4: 12.64@107.9 | YouTube
v1nc86 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST