E90Post

Motormavericks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > It's gone wrong. Again

11-09-2007, 09:56 AM   #67
E92Fan
United Kingdom

Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Tony, in terms of dealers a mate of mine that lives in London has just recommended Copper Cobham (I asked him as he has an e92 also). Bit further for you to go I guess but might be worth a punt in future.
Ahhhh, yes... James' local dealer. And after hearing about James' woes with the parts guy, I'm not so sure...! Have been thinking about Cooper Banstead because that's supposed to be very good.. I don't mind travelling a bit if it means that things work!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #68
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Drives: E90 335d wheelbarrow

Garage List
Unfortunately you are going to get good bits and bad bits in any dealership. Bad parts guys doesn't necessarily equal bad service department? I think someone in sales there is a mate of a mate of my mates (!) and he reckons its the first garage he's ever felt he'd go back to.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:22 AM   #69
E92Fan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbmwz3 View Post
Unfortunately you are going to get good bits and bad bits in any dealership. Bad parts guys doesn't necessarily equal bad service department? I think someone in sales there is a mate of a mate of my mates (!) and he reckons its the first garage he's ever felt he'd go back to.
You're quite correct I'll grant you that. Maybe I'll give them a go then - can't be worse than the current situation anyway! Plus, gives me a chance to go rag I mean drive James' car...!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:39 AM   #70
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Tony, cracking e-mail you wrote,nicely constructed and clearly did what it said on the tin.
Glad you got something over and above a refurb to the wheel, and I would agree that any monetary gesture is not as good as confidence in the car you have invested good money in.

Coming back to the steering issues - I had my car laser aligned earlier this week,OK I had changed some suspension components which is why I had it done, but none the less it required extensive adjustment over & above that which would have been caused by the mods-according to the techie who did the work.

It might be worth considering having it looked at by an independent,if you have not done so already.

On to Dealers,sounds like you're heading out my way in terms of finding somewhere suitable for a good dealer to replace Sytners.
Word of caution,if you do not find Coopers of Cobham or Coopers of Banstead any good,don't come any further towards Gatwick,because you will be sorely disappointed!

I do hope the car is now fixed & everything is now resolved,if not,fill a wine bottle full of your finest matured first *iss of the morning and present it to the service manager as a gesture of your satisfaction!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:43 AM   #71
E92Fan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotcoupe View Post
Tony, cracking e-mail you wrote,nicely constructed and clearly did what it said on the tin.
Glad you got something over and above a refurb to the wheel, and I would agree that any monetary gesture is not as good as confidence in the car you have invested good money in.

Coming back to the steering issues - I had my car laser aligned earlier this week,OK I had changed some suspension components which is why I had it done, but none the less it required extensive adjustment over & above that which would have been caused by the mods-according to the techie who did the work.

It might be worth considering having it looked at by an independent,if you have not done so already.

On to Dealers,sounds like you're heading out my way in terms of finding somewhere suitable for a good dealer to replace Sytners.
Word of caution,if you do not find Coopers of Cobham or Coopers of Banstead any good,don't come any further towards Gatwick,because you will be sorely disappointed!

I do hope the car is now fixed & everything is now resolved,if not,fill a wine bottle full of your finest matured first *iss of the morning and present it to the service manager as a gesture of your satisfaction!
I might do the 'wine' thing with some of my customers..! kidding

So stay clear of Vines (cough) of Gatwick (cough) then?? Funny that...!!

I take your point about the alignment issues... although, if you've altered the suspension then the geometry of your car will surely change considerably, as the BMWs are setup without a huge amount of tolerance (well, theoretically!)
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 10:47 AM   #72
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom

Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
To be fair to coopers my experience of buying has been second to none, it's my third car from their dealership.

My issue with the Service guy, (not parts he was 1000% percent helpful actually) was that the guy is a little arrogant and takes one look at me in a t-shirt and dirty jeans and, I can only assume, guesses that I'm a rich spoilt twat who thinks that changing the oil will make my car faster.

The fact is he wanted me to sign a piece of paper absolving BMW of any warrenty issues if I insisted on using Castrol 0w 40 Fully synthetic LL04 rather than the SLX they use on site.

When I questioned this, and mentioned 0w40 would have a greater temperature range than the 5w30 they suggested, and was actually the replacement for the SLX range he went off at the deep end and told me me

"Don't lecture me on Oil viscosities"

... Suffice to say I had kevin Bird change the oil for me at less than a 1/4 the price I was willing to pay to BMW... idiot.

I then enquired about any used Differentials coming into the dealership, either from a damaged car, or second hand etc.

He asked why I would want one, I explained that I wished to modify it to contain an LSD, He laughed out loud, said I must be crazy and then asked did I have the 5 to 8k I would need.

Like I said - arrogant man in position of power with limited scope for imagination.

OTHER than him Coopers are a cracking dealership.

SJ
      11-09-2007, 10:52 AM   #73
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Serjames
Like I said - arrogant man in position of power with limited scope for imagination.
SJ
Ahhh yes one of those =

Wall - arrogant man with back against - BANG - arrogant man no more!

Never argue with an idiot on the internet. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 11:04 AM   #74
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Drives: E46 M3 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serjames View Post
To be fair to coopers my experience of buying has been second to none, it's my third car from their dealership.

My issue with the Service guy, (not parts he was 1000% percent helpful actually) was that the guy is a little arrogant and takes one look at me in a t-shirt and dirty jeans and, I can only assume, guesses that I'm a rich spoilt twat who thinks that changing the oil will make my car faster.

The fact is he wanted me to sign a piece of paper absolving BMW of any warrenty issues if I insisted on using Castrol 0w 40 Fully synthetic LL04 rather than the SLX they use on site.

When I questioned this, and mentioned 0w40 would have a greater temperature range than the 5w30 they suggested, and was actually the replacement for the SLX range he went off at the deep end and told me me

... Suffice to say I had kevin Bird change the oil for me at less than a 1/4 the price I was willing to pay to BMW... idiot.

I then enquired about any used Differentials coming into the dealership, either from a damaged car, or second hand etc.

He asked why I would want one, I explained that I wished to modify it to contain an LSD, He laughed out loud, said I must be crazy and then asked did I have the 5 to 8k I would need.

SJ
James what other BMW have you had before from them?? thought the nissan was ya last motor?

Carlosh
      11-09-2007, 11:12 AM   #75
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
Quote:

SJ
To be fair though asking them to use non-standard (in their terms) oil and to assist with sourcing a diff from a car aren't exactly standard requests to compare on. That said if the guy is an arse he's probably like it with all customers. Does he get results though is the question in Tony's case - perhaps he'd have been worse to deal with than the guy Tony has already had to deal with?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 11:28 AM   #76
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Drives: 335D M Saloon

Sytner Harold Wood is 100 yards from my office.....i take my car to Sytner Notts, after Harold Wood bolloxed my M5 up.

They only have one good tech, and he is leaving to teach at Bracknell.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 11:30 AM   #77
silverbmwz3
Colonel

Garage List
Sytner notts is quite a way to go to get stuff done?!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:12 PM   #78
E92Fan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by roofer View Post
Sytner Harold Wood is 100 yards from my office.....i take my car to Sytner Notts, after Harold Wood bolloxed my M5 up.

would that be Graham?
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:25 PM   #79
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Garage List
Quote:

Roofy, what M5 did you have E60 OR E39?

may i ask how they fucked it up?

Carlos
      11-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #80
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
would that be Graham?
It would

Quote:
may i ask how they fucked it up?
Connected new o2 sensors backwards, ran like a pig, it was Graham that sussed it.

Quote:
Sytner notts is quite a way to go to get stuff done?!
Not when you get to play with Alpinas
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 12:55 PM   #81
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Garage List
Quote:
It would

Connected new o2 sensors backwards, ran like a pig, it was Graham that sussed it.

Not when you get to play with Alpinas
And they re-connected it the right way and it was ok? E39 yeah?

Carlos
      11-09-2007, 01:10 PM   #82
NFS
Major General
United Kingdom

Drives: 335i m-sport LCI

Quote:

SJ
He sounds like a cheeky fecker.
      11-09-2007, 01:24 PM   #83
Serjames
Colonel
United Kingdom

Drives: E93 335i M-sport

Garage List
I agree they are not NORMAL questions, though wanting to put my own oil in the car MIGHT have been a clue to the guy I'm not some mug willing to pay over 100 Squid for BMW oil out of a £150 Drum.

The point is, the way they deal with the issue. He would, in my parlence be described as very "Blue" probably knows the service intervals, valve clearances and cost for every BMW since 1971, but that doesn't make him GOOD with customers necessarily.

And being the opposite "yellow" i'm sure I piss him off by just smiling at him when I didn't have an appointment.

Perhaps next time I should put my request onto a spreadsheet like I HAVE to for my accountant guys, maybe he'd understand it then

SJ
      11-09-2007, 01:37 PM   #84
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England

Garage List
Quote:
I agree they are not NORMAL questions, though wanting to put my own oil in the car MIGHT have been a clue to the guy I'm not some mug willing to pay over 100 Squid for BMW oil out of a 150 Drum.

The point is, the way they deal with the issue. He would, in my parlence be described as very "Blue" probably knows the service intervals, valve clearances and cost for every BMW since 1971, but that doesn't make him GOOD with customers necessarily.

And being the opposite "yellow" i'm sure I piss him off by just smiling at him when I didn't have an appointment.

Perhaps next time I should put my request onto a spreadsheet like I HAVE to for my accountant guys, maybe he'd understand it then

SJ
Yes mate, just like my manager, he is very clever and very good at technical aspects to our job, as far as being a Manager he is wank
      11-09-2007, 01:51 PM   #85
Bumps
Captain
United Kingdom

Drives: E92 320i M Sport

Garage List
Tony if you seriously are thinking about coming all the way to Snows in Portsmouth let me know and I can put you in touch with the right people and explain the situation to them before you go. It's a long way to come so it needs to be worth it. I can pretty much guarantee they would be simply pleased to do business and would do whatever they could. Like I said before they bent over backwards to sort out my old 1 Series that I didn't even buy from them, because I had a long-standing relationship with them and they wanted to make sure I came back. Business common sense really, pure and simple. And it worked
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 01:53 PM   #86
E92Fan
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumps View Post
Tony if you seriously are thinking about coming all the way to Snows in Portsmouth let me know and I can put you in touch with the right people and explain the situation to them before you go. It's a long way to come so it needs to be worth it. I can pretty much guarantee they would be simply pleased to do business and would do whatever they could. Like I said before they bent over backwards to sort out my old 1 Series that I didn't even buy from them, because I had a long-standing relationship with them and they wanted to make sure I came back. Business common sense really, pure and simple. And it worked
Excellent fella - if I'm still not happy with my car, I'll be in touch with you. I like the idea of using an in-the-sticks dealer, as surely there business catchment area is smaller, so therefore they need to try harder to be successful... it's a plan!
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #87
roofer
Lieutenant
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
And they re-connected it the right way and it was ok? E39 yeah?

Carlos

Once he replaced the burnt out MAF's......yes,

Appreciate 0
      11-09-2007, 03:17 PM   #88
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e90 320d MSport

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Excellent fella - if I'm still not happy with my car, I'll be in touch with you. I like the idea of using an in-the-sticks dealer, as surely there business catchment area is smaller, so therefore they need to try harder to be successful... it's a plan!
I used this mentality with Sandal in Wakefield as they are independantly owned - thought they would give proper cust service.. no!!

Complete set of tossers on the service desk. Deny things are wrong, send out technicians new to job who dont understand and need to . Damage vehicle but do no let you know so they can get away with it. keep your car for a day and work on an issue so miniscule to avoid the hard work and send you off with the initial fault!!

When competing with catchment areas of Leeds/Bradford/Doncaster/York all franchised dealers I expected more. Once all the mess they created is sorted my car will never be subjected to those rapists ever again!!!

Strong words from a p1ssed off customer.... stronger letter coming - oh and a full explanation I think once all sorted (don't want to jeapordise the outstanding work in case they read!)