E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Just curious, how many BMW drivers here lease their cars?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-31-2007, 05:03 PM   #1
Eberhard
Private
 
Drives: '08 335i Monaco
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Just curious, how many BMW drivers here lease their cars?

After looking at the demographics on a recent post, and reading others - it seems as though most folks lease their cars. I could be off here, but those who post indicate leasing is the most common way that even the 3 Series are procured

So, could those of you that are more astute in financial matters than I explain why you would lease your BMW – or any new automomobile? By no means am I saying that leasing a new car is wrong (where do all those CPO's come from?).

Heck in my younger days the wealthy folks would buy a new Caddy or Lincoln “when the ashtray got filled” as they bragged - but they never leased their cars.

Just curious,

Eberhard
Eberhard is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 06:00 PM   #2
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,173
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
After looking at the demographics on a recent post, and reading others - it seems as though most folks lease their cars. I could be off here, but those who post indicate leasing is the most common way that even the 3 Series are procured

So, could those of you that are more astute in financial matters than I explain why you would lease your BMW – or any new automomobile? By no means am I saying that leasing a new car is wrong (where do all those CPO's come from?).

Heck in my younger days the wealthy folks would buy a new Caddy or Lincoln “when the ashtray got filled” as they bragged - but they never leased their cars.

Just curious,

Eberhard

I lease (BMW's specifically) for a few simple reasons....
  • Lower out of pocket expense
  • I don't drive many miles a year
  • Historically, I have changed cars every few years, so I prefer to lease
  • My car is always under warranty
  • Open end leases give me the option to walk away
  • Market risk is on the manufacturer


Leasing does not work for everybody, nor is it always the best financial decision for everybody. Sometimes leasing works in the favor of the individual, sometimes it doesn't. With BMW, and the better than average resale value, it isn't uncommon for a lease to work in favor of the individual. Alas, too many variables, an over abundance of conjecture.

Now let's hear it from the people who are pro-lease, and the inevitable viewpoints of those who are anti-lease.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Robert
Major General
 
Drives: 135i, current is350
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Socal

Posts: 6,893
iTrader: (1)

Make it a poll!
Robert is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 07:43 PM   #4
achien
AC
 
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 2,378
iTrader: (0)

make it a
__________________
Your Supreme Leader
achien is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 07:51 PM   #5
Eberhard
Private
 
Drives: '08 335i Monaco
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I lease (BMW's specifically) for a few simple reasons....
  • Lower out of pocket expense
  • I don't drive many miles a year
  • Historically, I have changed cars every few years, so I prefer to lease
  • My car is always under warranty
  • Open end leases give me the option to walk away
  • Market risk is on the manufacturer


Leasing does not work for everybody, nor is it always the best financial decision for everybody. Sometimes leasing works in the favor of the individual, sometimes it doesn't. With BMW, and the better than average resale value, it isn't uncommon for a lease to work in favor of the individual. Alas, too many variables, an over abundance of conjecture.

Now let's hear it from the people who are pro-lease, and the inevitable viewpoints of those who are anti-lease.
Thank you Sedan_Clan for a concise and well explained reason for leasing. I would find it difficult to argue the merits. Well put.

Sincerely,

Eberhard
Eberhard is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 07:54 PM   #6
imolazhp_ci
Major
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orange county

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

i only lease... again, with BMW's typically on their cars with special lease... you end up paying the same or a little bit less if you lease then purchase... with the M Coupe i just leased, if i lease it first, as i am.. and THEN purchase, i would save $4,000 over purchasing it outright.
imolazhp_ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 07:55 PM   #7
Eberhard
Private
 
Drives: '08 335i Monaco
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Northern California

Posts: 71
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbo View Post
Make it a poll!
New to the forum and unfamiliar with the process - I passed. But I agree that a poll would be of greater value.

If someone can modify my post or show me the path to create a poll - I will submit one directly.

Cheers,

Eberhard
Eberhard is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 09:14 PM   #8
SteveMD
Colonel
 
SteveMD's Avatar
 
Drives: '12 X5 50i, '11 GTI DSG
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Raventown!

Posts: 2,386
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2012 X5 50i  [0.00]
BWM leases are very favorable for some models. The equivalent APR for example on my wife's car was 4.6%.

Don't lease until you fully understand the process and calculation. Don't shop by the payment. Rather, nail down the price of the car first and go from there.
__________________
2006 E90 330i (retired)
2009 E90 335i (retired)
2012 E70 X5 50i M Sport, JB Stage 1, 4.6 secs 0-60.
2011 VW GTI/DSG
SteveMD is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 09:55 PM   #9
Grizzles
First Lieutenant
 
Grizzles's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 550XI MSPORT
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NNJ

Posts: 376
iTrader: (0)

i lease because i can. i want to switch to 24 mo. next time, i get so impatient
Grizzles is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-31-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
imolazhp_ci
Major
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orange county

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveMD View Post
BWM leases are very favorable for some models. The equivalent APR for example on my wife's car was 4.6%.

Don't lease until you fully understand the process and calculation. Don't shop by the payment. Rather, nail down the price of the car first and go from there.
exactly... on my M Coupe it was 6.6% which is still better than any finance rate from a bank.
imolazhp_ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 02:15 PM   #11
Sedan_Clan
California Highway Patrolling
 
Sedan_Clan's Avatar
 
Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: On 2 wheels clipping an apex!

Posts: 11,173
iTrader: (25)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eberhard View Post
Thank you Sedan_Clan for a concise and well explained reason for leasing. I would find it difficult to argue the merits. Well put.

Sincerely,

Eberhard
Anytime!
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 04:50 PM   #12
Zeeman
Captain
 
Zeeman's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 335 SG
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Vancouver

Posts: 661
iTrader: (0)

I purchased all of my past cars. The last one was a BMW that I kept for 7 years, and only put 75,000 kms (less than 50,000 miles) and actually paid cash for.

I decided to lease my current 335 since there is a high probability that I will have to give up my car in the next three years (either personal or work circumstances). Leasing made sense in this case, as I would otherwise have to take a big hit on depreciation and sales taxes. (Where I live in Canada, we have the *pleasure* of paying anywhere from 13-16% sales tax on a new car purchase. If you lease, this tax is only paid on the lease payments)
Zeeman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-01-2007, 05:28 PM   #13
Year's_End
RWD only.
 
Year's_End's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E92 335i
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: St. Pete, FL

Posts: 12,171
iTrader: (0)

Nein. 'Twas purchased.
__________________
E92 335i: Space Grey|Coral Red|Aluminum Trim

Future Ride: 2015 Mustang GT Premium |Guard|401A|PP|Recaros|6MT
Year's_End is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-02-2007, 05:40 PM   #14
ACZakka325i
Lieutenant Colonel
 
ACZakka325i's Avatar
 
Drives: X1 3.5 M-Sport
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: CT

Posts: 1,756
iTrader: (2)

I pay cash straight up .
__________________
2013 535i xdrive(Current)
2008 E92 M3 (Gone)
2006 E90 325i (Gone)
2002 E46 325xi (Gone)
1991 E30 325i (Gone)
ACZakka325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:18 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST