E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Worst condition air filter I've ever seen...on BMW service schedule



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-30-2013, 05:06 AM   #1
AzRiz
First Lieutenant
AzRiz's Avatar
6
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330d LCI
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Exclamation Worst condition air filter I've ever seen...on BMW service schedule

Bought my E92 330d a couple of months ago and my usual rule would be to do a full service including all filters and engine oil etc. With this car, due to it being on a full BMW Service Schedule, I made the assumption that it would be Ok since it was last serviced in August. 37.5k mileage.

However, yesterday I decided to have a quick look at the air filter just for the hell of it, and was shocked at what I found when I lifted it out. Filter was clogged to death, with lots of leaves/debris and cigarette butts stuck to it. The suffocation must have had the turbo working its ass off to get the air through to the poor engine...

I replaced the filter immediately as I had one from a purchase a few weeks ago and vacuumed out the bottom of the air box to remove the grit and stones. Feel annoyed at myself for not sticking to my usual rules of checking everything myself.

Car now feels more lively (I was feeling a tiny bit underwhelmed by the performance of this engine before) and economy seems to have improved a small amount, too. I am going to do a full service this weekend with an oil change, replacement of oil filter, and also the fuel filter.

Just goes to show that most dealership service technicians are as much a bunch of monkeys as a dodgy back-alley garage and should never be trusted to go anywhere near a car!

Pic is attached.
Attached Images
 
__________________


Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 05:25 AM   #2
AWBimmer
Brigadier General
AWBimmer's Avatar
United Kingdom
70
Rep
4,966
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK

iTrader: (4)

Damn that's shocking! At least you've replaced it now.
__________________
BMW E92 335D | The Custom Cars
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:25 AM   #3
Icekube
Captain
United Kingdom
7
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Livingston

iTrader: (3)

mine was exactly the same, bought the car at 180k with a full main dealer service history, with the last service done at 175k, and the filter was just as bad as yours

(my fuel filter was also horrendous, i could bearly blow through it, so if you haven't changed that, I would get that swapped out too)
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:37 AM   #4
new 335d m sport owner
Enlisted Member
new 335d m sport owner's Avatar
Scotland
2
Rep
48
Posts

 
Drives: 335d m sport
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Edinburgh

iTrader: (1)

Cool

Did you buy it from Vardy in Edinburgh - http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/approved-used-bmw/

At Peter Vardy our qualified technichians go a long way to ensure all our vehicles meet the standard of an Apporved Used BMW. We want you to have complete peace of mind when buying with us and carry out independant milage and history checks. As a guarntee of the level of quality all Approved Used BMW's come with 12 months unlimited milage warranty, emergency service cover and MOT cover.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #5
Icekube
Captain
United Kingdom
7
Rep
607
Posts

 
Drives: E91 320D
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Livingston

iTrader: (3)

I didn't, no. Do you work there?

Given the amount of effort it takes to get to a 320D air filter, I'm not surprised that the BMW techs cant be arsed doing it....

what were they thinking when they buried such a common service item in the depths of the engine bay....
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2013, 10:44 AM   #6
AzRiz
First Lieutenant
AzRiz's Avatar
6
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330d LCI
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWBimmer View Post
Damn that's shocking! At least you've replaced it now.
Yeah man, looking forward to dropping the oil out for some fresh golden oil and replacing the oil+fuel filters.

So are you back from holiday now? How was it? I could tell that you were loving it out there :P

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
mine was exactly the same, bought the car at 180k with a full main dealer service history, with the last service done at 175k, and the filter was just as bad as yours

(my fuel filter was also horrendous, i could bearly blow through it, so if you haven't changed that, I would get that swapped out too)
Yeah it's absolutely disgraceful to be honest, people trust the "technicians" at stealerships way too easily!

Thanks for the tip on the fuel filter, this is definitely on the list already as I'm not leaving it to chance!

Quote:
Originally Posted by new 335d m sport owner View Post
Did you buy it from Vardy in Edinburgh - http://www.petervardybmw.co.uk/approved-used-bmw/

At Peter Vardy our qualified technichians go a long way to ensure all our vehicles meet the standard of an Apporved Used BMW. We want you to have complete peace of mind when buying with us and carry out independant milage and history checks. As a guarntee of the level of quality all Approved Used BMW's come with 12 months unlimited milage warranty, emergency service cover and MOT cover.
LoL! Best plug ever. Thing is, every dealership says this same thing unfortunately
__________________


Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 03:37 AM   #7
Ajerthan
Bimmaaaa
Ajerthan's Avatar
5
Rep
544
Posts

 
Drives: E92 325D & YZF R125
Join Date: May 2012
Location: West London

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2009 BMW 325  [0.00]
Say facked.
__________________

| E92 BMW 325D | alpinweiß | Red VMR 710 Rims | Black Kidney Grills | M Sport| Navigation | 1m Bumper |
| Sexy Angle Lites |
InstaGram: Ajerthan
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #8
Alex.J
Major
Alex.J's Avatar
United Kingdom
16
Rep
1,207
Posts

 
Drives: BMW E60 535d MSport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Nottingham

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icekube View Post
I didn't, no. Do you work there?

Given the amount of effort it takes to get to a 320D air filter, I'm not surprised that the BMW techs cant be arsed doing it....

what were they thinking when they buried such a common service item in the depths of the engine bay....
The above is the n47 engine air filter and is really easy to get to!

So its not even an excuse they can use, the m47 filter as in the most horrendous place ever!
__________________
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 08:44 AM   #9
Black Steel
Private
England
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Checked out my air filter the other day. It was exactly in the same con as the one shown in the pic!

Inside the air filter box/housing were leaves, twiggs and dirt (can't figure out how so much got in there?)

Yet the car had a major service around 6 months ago!

I decided to replace the standard filter with a K&N performance filter, so far so good and the motor seems to be running better.

I wonder whether by fitting this filter (as it's claimed),that it does actually increase the power slightly?
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
AzRiz
First Lieutenant
AzRiz's Avatar
6
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330d LCI
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ajerthan View Post
Say facked.
Yeahhh pretty much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex.J View Post
The above is the n47 engine air filter and is really easy to get to!

So its not even an excuse they can use, the m47 filter as in the most horrendous place ever!
N57, no? But yeah, I'm so glad I don't have the M57n2 or M47 lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Steel View Post
Checked out my air filter the other day. It was exactly in the same con as the one shown in the pic!

Inside the air filter box/housing were leaves, twiggs and dirt (can't figure out how so much got in there?)

Yet the car had a major service around 6 months ago!

I decided to replace the standard filter with a K&N performance filter, so far so good and the motor seems to be running better.

I wonder whether by fitting this filter (as it's claimed),that it does actually increase the power slightly?
6 months ago? More negligence and lazy 'workmanship' by whoever 'serviced' it.

Power would probably increase a small amount as it does on many cars, but it would not really be noticeable by the driver/passengers. A remap, however, would make more significant use of it where the power gains would probably be seen on the dyno. Mainly in the higher end of the rev range.
__________________


Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2013, 12:59 PM   #11
Black Steel
Private
England
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
Yeahhh pretty much.


N57, no? But yeah, I'm so glad I don't have the M57n2 or M47 lol.


6 months ago? More negligence and lazy 'workmanship' by whoever 'serviced' it.

Power would probably increase a small amount as it does on many cars, but it would not really be noticeable by the driver/passengers. A remap, however, would make more significant use of it where the power gains would probably be seen on the dyno. Mainly in the higher end of the rev range.
I'm seriously thinking about a remap or fitting a tuning box, as these could increase the power to another 25-35 bhp.

I'm going to start saving!
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 07:58 AM   #12
Kuroblack
Private
0
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330d
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Lancs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzRiz View Post
However, yesterday I decided to have a quick look at the air filter just for the hell of it, and was shocked at what I found when I lifted it out...
Top stuff, do you fancy doing a quick idiots guide (presume there isn't one already?)

Wouldn't mind swapping mine out if it's a simple job, how much would I be looking at for the filter?

Presume all 330d's regardless of age will be very similar?
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 08:10 AM   #13
regy53
Private First Class
United Kingdom
1
Rep
178
Posts

 
Drives: 335d
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Leighton Buzzard

iTrader: (0)

looked at mine earlier, identical to this also.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:43 AM   #14
AzRiz
First Lieutenant
AzRiz's Avatar
6
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: E92 330d LCI
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
Top stuff, do you fancy doing a quick idiots guide (presume there isn't one already?)

Wouldn't mind swapping mine out if it's a simple job, how much would I be looking at for the filter?

Presume all 330d's regardless of age will be very similar?
Hey man, unfortunately pre-LCI 330ds are a PITA to access the air filter, whereas the LCI 2010+ N57 engine are a 2-minute job. Which one have you got? What year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by regy53 View Post
looked at mine earlier, identical to this also.
Was yours last serviced by BMW or someone else?
__________________


Progress Thread | Instagram: @azriz
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2014, 09:59 AM   #15
Black Steel
Private
England
0
Rep
64
Posts

 
Drives: 320D (184) M Sport Saloon
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Kent

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroblack View Post
Top stuff, do you fancy doing a quick idiots guide (presume there isn't one already?)

Wouldn't mind swapping mine out if it's a simple job, how much would I be looking at for the filter?

Presume all 330d's regardless of age will be very similar?

Yes it's a very simple job, should'nt be more than 10-15 mins max and that included cleaning all the shite from the box/housing area.

I got mine from fleabay, cost me £40. Not to sure though, whether the 330d filter is the same as the 320d? You need to shop around for the best price obviously, as you'd be amazed how it varies (£40 -£65).
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:58 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST