E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > OUCH, this is going to need more than a refurb



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-01-2007, 11:06 AM   #23
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

KDS is BMW parlance for a full 4-wheel alignment check. Not only does it look at toe-in, camber and thrust angle, it also checks castor, steering wheel angle and weights the car down to accurately represent how it sits on a normal road. Obviously with a load in the car, the angles of the wheels change ever so slightly, but it seems to have quite a pronounced effect on our cars.

It's the only system that actually resets a car back to exact factory spec.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:25 AM   #24
mjh93sa
Major General
mjh93sa's Avatar
England
59
Rep
5,079
Posts

 
Drives: M135i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Gloucestershire

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Ouch! If it were a pothole then get round there and get some pics of the defect and get onto the council for not maintaining the road and details of how to claim against them.

How fast were you going?
__________________

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman
Now: M135i with lots of toys
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:29 AM   #25
bob mushroom
Second Lieutenant
bob mushroom's Avatar
2
Rep
239
Posts

 
Drives: e90 320d MSport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: a muddy patch in Yorkshire, UK

iTrader: (0)

Pothole??? Are you sure? even when I had my flying excursion over the kerb at 40mph the damage wasn't that bad!
__________________
Le Mans Blue 320D Blacklines MSport 18"193's /Black Dakota Heated leather/Auto Rain & Light Sensors/Comfort Access/Xenon Lights/6FL USB Port/Bluetooth/Sun Protection Glass/Park Distance Control
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:34 AM   #26
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob mushroom View Post
Pothole??? Are you sure? even when I had my flying excursion over the kerb at 40mph the damage wasn't that bad!
guys read the sodding posts!! it wasnt a pot hole, i was saying ive gone down pot holes where the IMPACT felt worse than this one which has wrecked the alloy (curb)

sorry if i am being flippant im just so pissed off still:sad0147:

think it was one of those weird things they put next to the kurb to protect it, loads of weird objects tied together!!

AAAARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:35 AM   #27
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
Ouch! If it were a pothole then get round there and get some pics of the defect and get onto the council for not maintaining the road and details of how to claim against them.

How fast were you going?
about 60 Matt!! no faster, only glanced the fucker, didnt go over it.. im hoping the shell/ geometry will be fine as it was only a glance and it looks like the wheel took the impact well

Carlos
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:54 AM   #28
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
about 60 Matt!! no faster, only glanced the fucker, didnt go over it.. im hoping the shell/ geometry will be fine as it was only a glance and it looks like the wheel took the impact well

Carlos

Bad luck matey. If there was something sticking out from the curb, and wasn't part of the curb structure itself, then if it didn't have any extra markings or warnings to advise motorists then you may have case to claim. If it is part of the curb then unfortunately that'll have to be chalked up to life experience.

The only way to know whether the geometry is out is to get it KDSd I'm afraid. You could try taking your car to a local wheel alignment centre but they most likely don't have the most uptodate settings for your car. Also, they won't be able to check for things like castor angle. Hard to swallow, but better to know that your car is 100% ok and get it checked out at your local friendly dealer. I hesitate to say this, given all the problems I've had, but you might want to give Steve Corrie a call at Sytner's in Harold Wood - say you're a mate of mine off the forum and I've told you to call him, explain what's happened, and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal, just to keep ME happy!! You've got nothing to lose... (01708 371234.. don't go to his voicemail, ask to be put through to Wendy Neville at Service Reception)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 11:59 AM   #29
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Bad luck matey. If there was something sticking out from the curb, and wasn't part of the curb structure itself, then if it didn't have any extra markings or warnings to advise motorists then you may have case to claim. If it is part of the curb then unfortunately that'll have to be chalked up to life experience.

The only way to know whether the geometry is out is to get it KDSd I'm afraid. You could try taking your car to a local wheel alignment centre but they most likely don't have the most uptodate settings for your car. Also, they won't be able to check for things like castor angle. Hard to swallow, but better to know that your car is 100% ok and get it checked out at your local friendly dealer. I hesitate to say this, given all the problems I've had, but you might want to give Steve Corrie a call at Sytner's in Harold Wood - say you're a mate of mine off the forum and I've told you to call him, explain what's happened, and I'm sure he'll do you a good deal, just to keep ME happy!! You've got nothing to lose... (01708 371234.. don't go to his voicemail, ask to be put through to Wendy Neville at Service Reception)

Mate your a star

ill give him a bell tomorrow when i arise from sleepy time after a nights hard work!

is steve the parts guy or whats his title?


Carlos
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:17 PM   #30
squeezebm
Colonel
29
Rep
2,652
Posts

 
Drives: Audi
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Notts

iTrader: (0)

:sad0147:
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:21 PM   #31
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
Mate your a star

ill give him a bell tomorrow when i arise from sleepy time after a nights hard work!

is steve the parts guy or whats his title?


Carlos

He's the Assistant Service Manager. Just speak to him and he'll organise the rest for you. Tell him you know he gave me a good price for my rim and did the KDS for me too (twice). You can also tell him that everyone on the forum knows I've been having major problems with my car, and that you hope he'll be able to check out your car properly. If I were you though, I'd get your tyres (you'll need to replacement both fronts as the difference in tread will be huge) from Elite Direct, who are cheaper. Take the tires from Elite to BMW and the tyre guy at Sytners (name is Lee) will fit them and balance them properly. Have to say he really is bloody good, and only ever accepts a 0-0 balance reading (most companies will accept a 0-5 reading which isn't actually exactly balanced)
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:24 PM   #32
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
dxb335d's Avatar
England
381
Rep
29,293
Posts

 
Drives: E46 M3 CS
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: ''Fandango Towers''

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
He's the Assistant Service Manager. Just speak to him and he'll organise the rest for you. Tell him you know he gave me a good price for my rim and did the KDS for me too (twice). You can also tell him that everyone on the forum knows I've been having major problems with my car, and that you hope he'll be able to check out your car properly. If I were you though, I'd get your tyres (you'll need to replacement both fronts as the difference in tread will be huge) from Elite Direct, who are cheaper. Take the tires from Elite to BMW and the tyre guy at Sytners (name is Lee) will fit them and balance them properly. Have to say he really is bloody good, and only ever accepts a 0-0 balance reading (most companies will accept a 0-5 reading which isn't actually exactly balanced)
im so depressed right now, i just want to cry

how much was your KDS? i know your rim was 290+VAT

thanks for the number mate,

i feel like the car is dead, it will never been the same.. surely something will be amiss and it wont ever handle exactly right ever again? i know im a drama queen but i hate cars which have been spanked.. its like my miswah has had her arse slapped at work, feels like that arse aint mine no more:sad0147:

Carlos
__________________
997.2 GT3
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:28 PM   #33
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
im so depressed right now, i just want to cry

how much was your KDS? i know your rim was 290+VAT

thanks for the number mate,

i feel like the car is dead, it will never been the same.. surely something will be amiss and it wont ever handle exactly right ever again? i know im a drama queen but i hate cars which have been spanked.. its like my miswah has had her arse slapped at work, feels like that arse aint mine no more:sad0147:

Carlos
you should go claim that arse back matey..!

the car will be fine once it's been checked over. It'll cost a bit, but that's life unfortunately. I know I've had my own problems with my car, but I have to admit and be fair to the dealer that it's not the KDS that's been at fault, but an inherent problem with one of the parts on the vehicle.

A KDS will return it to factory spec, a new wheel and two new tyres will make everything new again. I promise you you won't notice the difference. It's not like having half the car rebuilt!! You want me to send him an email to let him know you're going to call? I'll most likely be at the dealers tomorrow if you want to meet me there.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #34
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
sooooo angry

look, its ruined:sad0147:

wonder how much a new wheel will be?!




Carlos:sad0147::sad0147::sad0147::sad0147::sad0147 ::sad0147::sad0147:
Bad luck fandango.

Possibly worth an insurance claim .. it's accident damage after all.

I did something similar (not as bad) a couple of years ago when I clipped a kerb.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:29 PM   #35
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

oh, and i can't tell you how much the KDS was as it was done under warranty, but I think from memory it's around the £250 mark
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:31 PM   #36
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
i can't tell you how much the KDS was
Can you tell us what a KDS is ?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #37
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

If you claim on insurance, you'll claim the KDS, wheel and one tyre. You'll still have to pay for the other tyre to match. So you'll be able to claim about £820 I reckon - pay your excess (don't know how much your excess is, maybe £250?) and lose one years of no-claims. Insurance premium will go up next year by maybe £250 because of the claim?? So is there really any benefit in claiming against the insurance?? Not worth it IMO...
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #38
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
Can you tell us what a KDS is ?


KDS is BMW parlance for a full 4-wheel alignment check. Not only does it look at toe-in, camber and thrust angle, it also checks castor, steering wheel angle and weights the car down to accurately represent how it sits on a normal road. Obviously with a load in the car, the angles of the wheels change ever so slightly, but it seems to have quite a pronounced effect on our cars.

It's the only system that actually resets a car back to exact factory spec
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:32 PM   #39
Evil Diesel
Captain
Evil Diesel's Avatar
United Kingdom
11
Rep
803
Posts

 
Drives: E92 335d M Sport
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: London

iTrader: (0)

Thats really shite - unlucky mate.

One hell of an impact though to rip the alloy. Needs to be checked out properly.

You could always cruise the area, find a meaty pothole (there are bound to be a few thousand to choose from) and blame those useless tosspots at the Council anyway.

I have to drive home occasionally over a speed hump in a 20 mph zone and ground out on the f**ker at 2 mph so, in my view, the muppets being paid to design and maintain the roads deserve all they get.

....... hypothetically of course ......
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:34 PM   #40
PAKMAN
Lieutenant General
PAKMAN's Avatar
North Korea
189
Rep
16,123
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: May 2006
Location: NORTHERN CALIFORNIA

iTrader: (34)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [4.75]
2006 e90 330i  [2.75]
how.// did that happen?
__________________
stock car
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:35 PM   #41
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
If you claim on insurance, you'll claim the KDS, wheel and one tyre. You'll still have to pay for the other tyre to match. So you'll be able to claim about 820 I reckon - pay your excess (don't know how much your excess is, maybe 250?) and lose one years of no-claims. Insurance premium will go up next year by maybe 250 because of the claim?? So is there really any benefit in claiming against the insurance?? Not worth it IMO...
What if your no claims bonus is protected? Does a claim still up your premium?

My insurance is paid though work, so I would just claim for anything and everything.

If Fandango can't drive batten down the 'off topic' hatches
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:37 PM   #42
E92Fan
Moderator
E92Fan's Avatar
United Kingdom
103
Rep
5,492
Posts

 
Drives: .
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed View Post
What if your no claims bonus is protected? Does a claim still up your premium?

My insurance is paid though work, so I would just claim for anything and everything.

If Fandango can't drive batten down the 'off topic' hatches

If your no-claims is protected, the you won't lose your bonus discount, but your premium may still go up because you've had an accident/claimed for damage. You'll still get a loading on your premium because of it, but you'll retain your discount percentage.

Insurance companies will always find a way of charging you more, regardless of the whole protected no-claims..
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:39 PM   #43
NFS
Major General
NFS's Avatar
United Kingdom
113
Rep
9,216
Posts

 
Drives: 335i m-sport LCI
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: UK

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
If your no-claims is protected, the you won't lose your bonus discount, but your premium may still go up because you've had an accident/claimed for damage. You'll still get a loading on your premium because of it, but you'll retain your discount percentage.

Insurance companies will always find a way of charging you more, regardless of the whole protected no-claims..
Harsh .. so they get you either way
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2007, 12:44 PM   #44
330cdsport
Right Responsible
330cdsport's Avatar
United Kingdom
29
Rep
1,640
Posts

 
Drives: AW F21 M135i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: N. Ireland

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Holy f*ck - that is the worst kerbed alloy i have ever seen!!!!
Very sorry to see that, man.

You are very lucky none of the airbags went off in the car.

A few years back when I went round a country road left hand corner in my old E46 330cd, I clipped a sharp edged stone sticking out of the muddy ditch.

I dented both nearside alloys, damaged both tyres, and set off the side airbags in the door and roof.
I had to get 2 new alloys and tyres, new airbags, new leather door card, and new roof lining. (both were ripped by bags deploying)

Total bill 2800 - for clipping a bloody stone
__________________
Last: 330cd Sport - Silver Grey, 335d M Sport Coupe, F10 535d M Sport.
Current: AW F21 M135i, Coral Red, Pro Nav, Vis, HK, & Clunky Adaptive Suspension
Current: X5 XDrive 35d M Sport - Black Sapphire, lots of toys.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:48 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST