E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N57 / M57 Turbo Diesel Discussions - 335d > Thinking of purchasing a 335d, upgrading from VW Jetta TDI

01-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #23
bvanlieu
Private
Rep

Drives: Alpine 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadget728 View Post
The long term "uber" cost carbon issues with the 335d are what I'm most concerned about. My Jetta TDI has had some minor issues with carbon and soot in the EGR and intake manifold, nothing serious and definitely nothing that has left me stranded on the side of the road. It was easy to remove and clean and I have a spare intake manifold that I swap out when needed. A 5sp to slushy isn't a deal breaker for me and the 335d auto trans has +1 extra gear to work with. The nice thing about my Jetta TDI is that fact that there are good service manuals available for it and I do service my own car for major cost savings. I'm not sure to what degree I'll be able to work on a 335d after warranty expiration, especially if service manuals aren't available for it. I wonder if anyone out there services their own 335d. I must say, the 335d is one beautiful automobile! Thanks so much for your advice and your candor!
For the past 15 years I have done about all of my own work save some jobs I just didn't feel like doing. I have given up on that with this car save for basic maintenance once the warranty expires. So many things require service tools and such: its just the way it is. Doesn't mean I can't do things myself and I may (already wrapped interior plastic: hate the wood, and just spent $20 doing a DEF between oil changes .

If shopping take your time. I knew I wanted sport, had a few color options and started looking. Sport suspension was a must for me, along with heated seats. I got very lucky finding a used white m-sport < 100 miles away but I was willing to travel for the right car: its a keeper car.

The paddle shifters IMHO are fun and I do use them but they are not a necessity (sport mode is nicely aggressive over normal mode in the auto). All of our other cars are manuals so I always can scratch my sports car itch.

- b
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 08:06 AM   #24
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2009 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
welcome to this forum

Did you get any codes, since you blocked off the EGR valve?
Thank you, and yes I did, code P0401 EGR flow insufficient. Cleared it and drove normally. I bought a Bluetooth OBD2 reader and got the torque app to watch it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:09 AM   #25
dixy2k
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335d

Was it a one time event in your case?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:18 AM   #26
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixy2k View Post
Was it a one time event in your case?
Dont know yet. Drove it once and it wasn't there after reset. The car is torn apart while i wait for a oil return line to come in. Wont be able to know till prob Friday .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #27
acerboo
Brigadier General
England
Rep

Drives: e92 335d lci

Quote:
I'm considering purchasing a 335d as an upgrade to my 2003 Volkswagen Jetta TDI 5-speed with 148K miles. It's been a fun and economical car for me and I find it easy to work on. I'm now thinking about upgrading. I really like the 335d (especially the performance/torque) and I've been seeing some attractive prices on pre-owned cars. I've been browsing this and other forums and gathering info. I am a little concerned about some of the issues with the 335d. Any thoughts/advice? Should I upgrade from a 2003 Jetta TDI to a 335d?
whats to think about the 335d is a fantastic car, I don't know what issues you have in the US with the car but in the UK they are pretty unbreakable
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:50 PM   #28
GadgetBMW
Torque........I'm Loving it!
Rep

Drives: 335d M/Sport

I greatly appreciate the comments and advice from everyone, THANKS! I'm leaning towards purchasing a 335d AND keeping my 2003 Jetta TDI. In this purchase scenario, the 335d won't be a daily driver and I most likely would tuck it away during the winter. Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase a discounted off warranty 335d or pay extra for a CPO 335d with warranty.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:52 PM   #29
JDG
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I greatly appreciate the comments and advice from everyone, THANKS! I'm leaning towards purchasing a 335d AND keeping my 2003 Jetta TDI. In this purchase scenario, the 335d won't be a daily driver and I most likely would tuck it away during the winter. Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase a discounted off warranty 335d or pay extra for a CPO 335d with warranty.
I'd go CPO and drive it! Mine came with a aftermarket warranty, but I would rather have a cpo for sure
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 10:24 PM   #30
ficklerx
Enlisted Member
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d M-Sport

Quote:
Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase a discounted off warranty 335d or pay extra for a CPO 335d with warranty.
CPO unless the cost difference is significant enough AND you are willing to set aside the saved cash for what seems to be relatively inevitable. Right now CBU repairs are expensive through the dealer. I haven't read many cases or repairs by indies, although I have no doubt it can be done.

Mine is being still awaiting parts but being repaired under warranty. I am looking to purchase an extended BMW warranty even after the repair. And, hopefully there will be a cure before 6yr/100k.

The warranty has provided me a loaner that is convenient. So far I have put ~6500 miles on someone else's car!

My wife had a Beetle TDI for around 100k miles. Being yellow, I avoided driving it as much as possible. It was a great car but there is absolutely no comparison.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Now I just need to decide if I want to purchase a discounted off warranty 335d or pay extra for a CPO 335d with warranty.
CPO, no doubt about it brother. If the price is right (which mostly likely should be), jump on it like white on rice. Other than the carbon build-up issues, these diesels are built like Panzer tanks. Luckily for me, mine's almost clocking in at 35k with no red flags *knock on wood*. It's just too bad we can't do any preventive maintenance on them such as walnut blasting every 50k like on the gasoline variant. The effectiveness of lubricants and additives are a touchy subject around here.
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:57 PM   #32
Mark M
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30M3 E83X3 E90335D

CPO every day of the week!!!!

One injector alone is $550 plus labor. Those of us that had the carbon/soot issue would easily have been out of pocket ~$10,000 if it were not for warranty.

Those buying a 335d without warranty are like a guy taking home a hooker without a condom.
      01-08-2014, 01:39 PM   #33
CT_335D
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 2009 BMW 335d

I purchased my 2009 335D CPO. It's just a piece of mind that any major problems are covered with the CPO warranty for a total of 6 years / 100k miles.

There is a $50 fee every time you bring the car in for service while under the CPO warranty.

FYI - The CPO warranty does not cover paint or any interior issues.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 01:41 PM   #34
CT_335D
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkUSMC View Post
Yes it's with the Wagner IC. I believe there is a pressure gain of 2lbs over the stock as well.

This purchase will actually pay for itself in 8.5months for me.
Does installing a Wagner Intercooler make that much of a difference in MPG?

I do mostly highway driving with some city driving and I average about 34 MPG. The best I ever got, mostly highway driving, was around 38 MPG.

If I install the Wagner Intercooler, what kind of numbers could I expect? Also, how hard is it to install the intercooler? Are there any directions available on the web?
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 02:53 PM   #35
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark M View Post
Those buying a 335d without warranty are like a guy taking home a hooker without a condom.
You'd bring a hooker to your own house?! Such a classy guy!
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 08:03 PM   #36
Wrecker335d
Wondering what to do..
United_States
Rep

Drives: like a cock

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT_335D View Post
Does installing a Wagner Intercooler make that much of a difference in MPG?

I do mostly highway driving with some city driving and I average about 34 MPG. The best I ever got, mostly highway driving, was around 38 MPG.

If I install the Wagner Intercooler, what kind of numbers could I expect? Also, how hard is it to install the intercooler? Are there any directions available on the web?
Recently I've hit 54mpg highway. It might be skewed, but I left with a full tank, and topped it off when I got home to see the results. I drove 24miles and I used .45 gallons. My scangauge reads OBD MPG's and begins a new recording every startup. Most of the time I stay in the 42mpg range cruising 75+mph (I noticed better MPG's after 75)

I've noticed a consistent 3-4mpg increase overall. The install was annoying, but not hard. There was trimming required, at least for me. It was this plastic piece in front of the fan, right above the bumper.

OEF Veteran
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 04:24 AM   #37
totitan
United_States
Rep

If finances permit the way to go is to own both. I have a 12 JSW tdi and a 09 335d. The VW is definitely better for short trips, traffic, hauling stuff, and tight parking. On the road the BMW has no peers. Also at speeds of 80+ the 335d gets better mpg than the VW and the faster you go the wider the gap. TDI extreme mpg only happens if you dont go past 75 mph, turn the ac off, etc. I like to cruise at 80-85 with the ac on. Under those conditions its VW 35 mpg and BMW 38 mpg. I would have never believed it, but from owning both I know its reality.
2004 Nissan Titan
1969 Hemi Roadrunner
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:34 AM   #38
Puerto Rican 335d
Colonel
Puerto Rico
Rep

Drives: Montego Blue 335d

Correcto Monk the WAGNER IC will give you better MPGs on the HWY. I was getting around 42 mpg at 70 mph and A/C on but due to the roads and traffic i went down to 33-37 mpgs
Amsoil Cetane Boost Diesel Fuel Additive
Amsoil Diesel Fuel Additive Concentrate
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:14 PM   #39
GadgetBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzureHaze View Post
CPO, no doubt about it brother. If the price is right (which mostly likely should be), jump on it like white on rice. Other than the carbon build-up issues, these diesels are built like Panzer tanks. Luckily for me, mine's almost clocking in at 35k with no red flags *knock on wood*. It's just too bad we can't do any preventive maintenance on them such as walnut blasting every 50k like on the gasoline variant. The effectiveness of lubricants and additives are a touchy subject around here.
Well....I'm seeing off warranty 2009 335d's as low as 19K US or less with bargaining with an average of 70K-90K miles on them. I'm looking at a 2011 335d for $29K US with CPO to 6yr / 100K. The 2011 CPO 335d has about 42K miles. This is about a 10K difference for the 2009 335d that's off warranty.

What I'm seeing from this forum is that even for those who still have warranty on their cars, they are well aware of what may potentially await them maintenance cost-wise with their 335d after the warranty expires based on the current issues and the high costs to fix those issues. I would think that these "off warranty" cars will be a little harder to sell to an "educated" / well researching buyer after warranty expiration unless a deep discount is offered.

This is what concerns me because I typically buy my cars and keep them for a long time, well after the warranty period. Even with the current issues that the 335d's seem to be having, if I could get a decent service repair manual with some electrical schematics AND if I had a decent choice between dealer parts (pricey) and aftermarket parts (less pricey?), I wouldn't hesitate and I would jump all over a purchase. I would hate to have a car that is problematic, has the potential to be a little difficult to unload after warranty expiration, offers no practical way to DIY it without a service manual and is expensive to fix especially since I can't DIY it.

For example, $500 for a single injector on a 335d? Really BMW? I can get an injector for my Mk4 Jetta TDI for about $50 and I can change it myself, fortunately my Jetta still has the original injectors after 148K miles. For everyone that currently owns a 335d and has had injector issues by 60K, it's likely that by 120K, those expensive injectors may need to be replaced again and will cost BIG bucks without warranty! I'm not sure that I want to buy a 335d only to have to unload it for a significant loss after the warranty expires. But... I'm in love with the 335d's torque and combination of performance and fuel economy.

Truly, I can't thank everyone enough for your advice and input! So....I'm still pondering a purchase...............
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 03:52 PM   #40
335dFan
Jumping Jack Flash
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d

Garage List
Quote:
...I typically buy my cars and keep them for a long time, well after the warranty period...I would hate to have a car that is problematic, has the potential to be a little difficult to unload after warranty expiration, offers no practical way to DIY it without a service manual and is expensive to fix especially since I can't DIY it...I'm not sure that I want to buy a 335d only to have to unload it for a significant loss after the warranty expires. But... I'm in love with the 335d's torque and combination of performance and fuel economy...I'm still pondering a purchase...............
I feel your pain brother. I have loved my car and have yet to have any problems with it, but I'm only at 28k miles. I also spent a lot on modifications to the suspension and wheels. After reading your post, I asked myself: "would I do it again, knowing what I do now?" I couldn't come up with an answer. I too had planned to keep it for the long haul, planning to use it instead of a casket. It is such a great car for me at this time in my life: good for long trips, great at the track, great toolin' around MD suburbia. For me I have decided to defer that decision until the 4 year / 50k mark. The four year mark for me is 4 May 2016, but I imagine 50k will roll around before that. At my stage in life, if I decide to unload it for something else, I will just say to myself "what a great ride that was!" and try to not fret too much about the bean-counting aspects of my ownership.
Mods-Etc: Quaife LSD w/VAC finned diff cover, M3 Rear SF Bushings, M3 sways & OEM Susp Front/Rear Cmpnt Kits ('cept strut brace), GC Caster/Camber Plates, AC Schnitzer M3 Sport Springs, JRZ RS1 dampers, JBD 100%, Goodrich SS brake lines, non-stggrd APEX ARC-8 18" wheels with Nitto Motivo tires (winter OEM 17" wheels and Blizzak LM-25).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 06:23 PM   #41
explorer2
Private
Rep

Drives: 06 325xi

My advice (what I did): buy a used one under 50k miles and buy the bmw extended warranty from one of the dealers that sell cheap. I picked up a loaded with extended maintenance minus sport package '11 with 40k for 29k. I had my dealer look it over and fix anything needed under warranty, and then purchased a platinum bmw warranty from a dealer across the country. I've had a few small issues in 12k miles, but all were resolved easily.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2014, 09:11 PM   #42
ewodzien
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2012 X5 3.5d

I'll throw my 0.02 in..

I own 2 2006 Jetta TDis and a 335d and drive them back-to-back all the time.

My findings:

-The Jetta is roomier and easy to drive
-The Jetta is our goto car when we travel with friends
-The Jetta gets much better gas mileage
-The Jetta has some nice creature comforts on long travel (110V power outlet, telescoping visors, etc.)
-The Jetta doesn't tramline like the 335d with stock RFT tires

-The 335d is much more fun to drive
-The 335d is A M A Z I N G on the track with non-RFT tires
-The 335d's power is intoxicating and keeps me coming back
-The 335d is much better looking
-The 335d's trunk is *much* smaller than the Jetta's.
-The 335d is kinda "exclusive". You don't see them everywhere. I like that.

Honestly I would be happy driving either the TDi or the 335d to work everyday, but I prefer the 335d because of the power.

Like others have said, keep both if you can. The Jetta will be cheaper to run long-term. I, too, worry about the 335d outside of warranty. If the DPF delete and EGR block gets addressed in the aftermarket, I'll keep it until the wagon 335d comes out..

-Ed
Previous rides:2011 335d Jet Black / Black w/ Sport Pkg - Loaded
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:25 PM   #43
GadgetBMW
Rep

It seems like the consensus is to definitely get a 335d with warranty!

Would any of you advise staying away from the 2009 (1st year in US) model year 335d?

I normally don't ever buy a first year model and I did it only once in my life. It was a 1991 Toyota Previa (very dependable) and last I checked (2012), it was still driven daily. I'm seeing some good deals on 2009 335d models!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 03:33 PM   #44
GreekboyD
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Garage List
2009 BMW 335d  [3.75]
Quote:
It seems like the consensus is to definitely get a 335d with warranty!

Would any of you advise staying away from the 2009 (1st year in US) model year 335d?

I normally don't ever buy a first year model and I did it only once in my life. It was a 1991 Toyota Previa (very dependable) and last I checked (2012), it was still driven daily. I'm seeing some good deals on 2009 335d models!
Nope. Every year from 2009-2011 has seen similar issues.
Appreciate 0