E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Looking at trading for 335

01-07-2014, 01:17 PM   #1
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 08 328xi E92

Garage List
Looking at trading for 335

Hey guys, Ive had my E92 328XI for one year as of next week and have been looking for a 335 since the day I drove off the lot, went over to local dealership last week and they just took a 08 E93 335 Sport package with Nav 6-Speed with a couple months left on CPO and only 49k miles on it, Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red, my perfect combination of everything for what I have been looking for a while now. My question is what do you think is a fair price to pay for it? Considering its still under CPO for another month or so? Also I havnt driven it yet it is still being conditioned because it was just taken in, Could anybody that can run autochecks help me out on seeing it its clean? I can give the vin when needed. Thank you in advance!
PS it has already had one HPFP done at 27k miles in late 2011 but has not had turbos replaced.

EDIT: Asking price is 25,700

Last edited by CjonesE92; 01-07-2014 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Added asking price
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:29 PM   #2
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2011 BMW 335xi E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by CjonesE92 View Post
Hey guys, Ive had my E92 328XI for one year as of next week and have been looking for a 335 since the day I drove off the lot, went over to local dealership last week and they just took a 08 E93 335 Sport package with Nav 6-Speed with a couple months left on CPO and only 49k miles on it, Black Sapphire Metallic with Coral Red, my perfect combination of everything for what I have been looking for a while now. My question is what do you think is a fair price to pay for it? Considering its still under CPO for another month or so? Also I havnt driven it yet it is still being conditioned because it was just taken in, Could anybody that can run autochecks help me out on seeing it its clean? I can give the vin when needed. Thank you in advance!
PS it has already had one HPFP done at 27k miles in late 2011 but has not had turbos replaced.
What's the price on the 335? And honestly what was the point of getting a 328 when deep down you wanted the 335 in the first place ?
      01-07-2014, 01:31 PM   #3
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Delta0311 View Post
What's the price of the 335?
The initial price they gave me was 25,700 which I feel is a little high
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:32 PM   #4
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
What's the price on the 335? And honestly what was the point of getting a 328 when deep down you wanted the 335 in the first place ?
I had to get a car at the time there wasnt time to wait and search. I wish I had another option but I didnt at the time.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:33 PM   #5
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Given the fact I paid $33 with change (total, taxes and everything) on a CPO 2011 335xi (loaded) with just about 25k miles on it; yeah I would say the price is a bit high. I also did a trade, in my case it was a 07 328 with 94k miles.
      01-07-2014, 01:40 PM   #6
CjonesE92
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Given the fact I paid $33 with change (total, taxes and everything) on a CPO 2011 335xi (loaded) with just about 25k miles on it; yeah I would say the price is a bit high. I also did a trade, in my case it was a 07 328 with 94k miles.
Yeah I was thinking it was high
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I think if you're car shopping, err BMW shopping, and are interested in Autocheck or Carfax reports you should buy a subscription yourself...

Running reports for others is against the user agreement; people can be charged if found out or lose their subscription.

Also, most dealers will be happy to give you the report for free.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #8
Mardio
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2013 335is space grey

Not sure about your neck of the woods, but where I live 335s are going pretty cheap through private sellers. Worth looking into?
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:48 PM   #9
UKBasketball
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: 09 E92 328xi

With that yr/mileage, The car is probably worth close to $22K. I wouldn't pay a penny more than $24K out the door and on the road. <That's with taxes, and trade included.

I hope you do not plan to finance negative equity by trading in your 328. IF you were rushed the fist time(a year ago) then take your time this go around.

If you do plan to trade in your 328, please let us know what they offer you for it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 01:53 PM   #10
Delta0311
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by UKBasketball View Post
With that yr/mileage, The car is probably worth close to $22K. I wouldn't pay a penny more than $24K out the door and on the road. <That's with taxes, and trade included.

I hope you do not plan to finance negative equity by trading in your 328. IF you were rushed the fist time(a year ago) then take your time this go around.

If you do plan to trade in your 328, please let us know what they offer you for it.
I got offered 8k for my 328 which had 94k miles. Went to another dealer (one I bought the 335xi from) and told them I was offered 9 originally. Then I haggled for another 1k. I also made sure to do go in at the end of the month.

I checked KBB and a few other car price sites and my car was listed between 11-13k. So I have to say I got a fair trade.
      01-07-2014, 02:03 PM   #11
ezmaass
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: '14 550xi / '15 Audi R8 V10

While it's great that it has a few months on CPO, I'd consider that pretty much non-existent. It seems every other day someone is posting on this board that they're being hammered by repair costs on their 335 and they're not mentally, or financially, prepared for it. So before you buy one, make sure you're OK with what type of commitment the car will take. It's not a 328, as I'm sure you're aware, when it comes to problems.

Also, don't get lulled into any false sense of security by looking at what's been fixed already. Many 335 owners have had repeat problems. It's great to know the car's history, but as they say in the finance world, "past performance is not an indicator of future performance."

If you're going to buy a 335, I'd recommend two things right now:

1. Buy an N54, but make sure you have enough spare cash to deal with regular maintenance and repairs. A budget of $2k/year is probably the low-end if you're going to be driving the car 12k - 15k miles a year. Be prepared that more catastrophic issues can run you significantly more if and when they occur.

2. Buy an N55 and go CPO, ensuring you have a few years covered under warranty. The car will be more expensive, but you can get something with lower mileage, and you'll worry less about budgeting for repairs.

Now, whether the price is good on this particular car? I think we'd need to see the complete options list (you can get it via a VIN search online if necessary). As you're aware, BMWs can have $20k of options - cold weather, premium, nav, sport package, etc. I'd make sure to get all of the details. And then at the end of the day, it's about what the car is worth to you. As long as you're within a few thousand of other comparable cars, it's about the UNIQUE car. Unlike a new car, each used car has it's own unique history and situation that can cause the price to fluctuate from even an equally equipped car elsewhere - was it garaged, is the paint swirl/scratch free, are the tires and brakes in better condition than another (brakes and tires can run you a few thousand when they need replacing), etc, etc.

Last but not least, I'd consider not buying a 335 at all - at least not now. They're great cars and tons of fun. But you have a 328 that's only been in your possession for a YEAR. Cars are depreciating assets, and the more frequently you "flip" them, the more you get burned (in most cases) financially. The 328 is a solid car, and it'll go for several hundred thousand miles if treated right. I'd honestly say drive this car, maintain it well, and have fun with it. When it's facing the "knee in the curve" - where repairs start to outweigh the cost/convenience of a new vehicle, trade it in then. BMW will continue to build the 335i, and you'll always be able to pick up a later model at that time.

My 0.02 cents.
      01-07-2014, 03:33 PM   #12
silver07335i
Captain
Rep

Drives: 335i titanium silver metallic

Quote:
The price is too high! I would be patient and keep searching since you don't have any rush to replace your current vehicle.
Other mods: BMW cargo liner, 20% window tint, alarm system, Weathertech floorliner, 40W AE LED bulbs, Philips X-treme Vision H7 bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 04:43 PM   #13
ping65810
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2007 328xi

All depends on options, condition, etc for the price. I paid $19k in April for my 2007 328xi. Many would consider it high, expect it had a clean car fax, had 6mt, sport pack, premium, idrive w nav, cold weather pack, xenons, shadow line trim, blacklines, and only 40k miles. It also was PERFECT, with not a single scratch or issue, and had just had brakes, tires, fluids changed, etc. For me, it was worth it given the rarity and options.

All day long in New England you can find E90s cheap, but they are usually stripped out, even the 335i models, and so it really varies by car. My 328xi my be a 328, but new it was $48k, so thats quite the amount of options...
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:00 PM   #14
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
I know that convertibles are usually more expensive than sedans, but a couple weeks ago I bought my 2008 335i E90 N54 w/85k miles and 2 months left on the CPO (which was in almost perfect condition and a full service history on Carfax) for "only" $16k from a private party which was $3k less than the retail/dealer price but right on the mark for a private sale.

When I checked on KBB, one in "very good" condition w/the Sport & Premium Pkg is worth about $19k in a private sale and around $21k from a dealer. As one other person mentioned, I'd discount the value of the CPO to zero since there are only a couple months left on it.

So, if I were you and you feel you just HAVE to buy it, I'd set a max price of around $20k on the 2008 335i E93 and offer them that to see what they say, but I wouldn't go over $21k and, if you're financing the car, you need to talk w/them about how much they are going to lend on it before you sign a contract (or make the contract on getting financing "acceptable" to you, so that you can back out if the lender will not loan you enough $ on it).

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:26 PM   #15
exploringtim
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

I would say this is very sound advice. Funnily enough i'm in the same situation, but i have a 2008 335i with literally every option (nav, sport etc etc) and extended warrenty is up in may. Looking to spend the 6k for the warrenty extension or trade in is a difficult choice, but as the below, flipping rides can get expensive, so know why you're doing it is really important.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post
While it's great that it has a few months on CPO, I'd consider that pretty much non-existent. It seems every other day someone is posting on this board that they're being hammered by repair costs on their 335 and they're not mentally, or financially, prepared for it. So before you buy one, make sure you're OK with what type of commitment the car will take. It's not a 328, as I'm sure you're aware, when it comes to problems.

Also, don't get lulled into any false sense of security by looking at what's been fixed already. Many 335 owners have had repeat problems. It's great to know the car's history, but as they say in the finance world, "past performance is not an indicator of future performance."

1. Buy an N54, but make sure you have enough spare cash to deal with regular maintenance and repairs. A budget of $2k/year is probably the low-end if you're going to be driving the car 12k - 15k miles a year. Be prepared that more catastrophic issues can run you significantly more if and when they occur.

2. Buy an N55 and go CPO, ensuring you have a few years covered under warranty. The car will be more expensive, but you can get something with lower mileage, and you'll worry less about budgeting for repairs.

Now, whether the price is good on this particular car? I think we'd need to see the complete options list (you can get it via a VIN search online if necessary). As you're aware, BMWs can have $20k of options - cold weather, premium, nav, sport package, etc. I'd make sure to get all of the details. And then at the end of the day, it's about what the car is worth to you. As long as you're within a few thousand of other comparable cars, it's about the UNIQUE car. Unlike a new car, each used car has it's own unique history and situation that can cause the price to fluctuate from even an equally equipped car elsewhere - was it garaged, is the paint swirl/scratch free, are the tires and brakes in better condition than another (brakes and tires can run you a few thousand when they need replacing), etc, etc.

Last but not least, I'd consider not buying a 335 at all - at least not now. They're great cars and tons of fun. But you have a 328 that's only been in your possession for a YEAR. Cars are depreciating assets, and the more frequently you "flip" them, the more you get burned (in most cases) financially. The 328 is a solid car, and it'll go for several hundred thousand miles if treated right. I'd honestly say drive this car, maintain it well, and have fun with it. When it's facing the "knee in the curve" - where repairs start to outweigh the cost/convenience of a new vehicle, trade it in then. BMW will continue to build the 335i, and you'll always be able to pick up a later model at that time.

My 0.02 cents.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 05:28 PM   #16
exploringtim
Registered
Rep

Drives: 2008 335i Convertible

Had my 2008 335i with 72k miles on the clock appraised yesterday: dealer would give me 19k but thought they could sell it for 24k.... hope that is a useful data point :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swingshiftworker View Post
When I checked on KBB, one in "very good" condition w/the Sport & Premium Pkg is worth about $19k in a private sale and around $21k from a dealer. As one other person mentioned, I'd discount the value of the CPO to zero since there are only a couple months left on it.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:14 PM   #17
Smooth 330i
Major
Rep

Drives: Sleepy 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezmaass View Post

My 0.02 cents.
This right here!!

Pay know or pay later! N54 is fun to mod if you have patience and dough. I would get N55 with 2-3 year of CPO left if you really want 335. Keep in mind that N55 would probably keep a higher value when you need to sell it.

E90 330i Sport | JRZ RS1 | Dinan | Quaife | Evolve
M3 Bits | GC | Apex | Braile | Supersprint | Reccaro
Stoptech BBK | BMW Perf | Macht Schnell | Turner
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 06:18 PM   #18
Dark_Knight_335
Came to the N55 Darkside
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335 E93 M-Sport

No worse feeling in the world than settling for a car you really didn't want deep down inside and are miserable with, as opposed to holding out and getting what you really want.
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 07:02 PM   #19
SSW
I Can't Drive 55
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2008 BMW 335i (E90)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by exploringtim View Post
Had my 2008 335i with 72k miles on the clock appraised yesterday: dealer would give me 19k but thought they could sell it for 24k.... hope that is a useful data point :-)
That would mean I got a really good deal on mine, which of course makes me happy.

FWIW, I turned in a leased 2010 Prius w/43k miles on it last week to my local Toyota dealer. It was in great shape but the car only "books" for around $15k and is listed for around that in both private and dealer ads on Craiglist but the dealer bought my car from Toyota and had it for sale on the lot yesterday for $22,999.

Go figure . . .
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2014, 09:29 PM   #20
parabola
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 328i

If your car is paid off, sell it privately, why get raped by the dealership on your trade in.
If it's not, I'd drive it and enjoy it for the next few years and then spend proper time to locate and buy the car you want.
And spend extra $50 for 5 Carfax reports, you are going to spend $25k+ on a car, I think $50 up front for car history is money well spent (at least that's what I did prior to purchase).
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:23 PM   #21
AzureHaze
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011 335d Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
No worse feeling in the world than settling for a car you really didn't want deep down inside and are miserable with, as opposed to holding out and getting what you really want.

I was fine with the car when I got it but it just wasn't the color that I wanted. The fully-loaded and rare (for a 335d) LMB M-Sport was right next to mine with a MSRP of $57k but supposedly it wasn't eligible for any incentives. It was strange that the salesman didn't even try to push me to buy but I should of fought for it.

OP, don't make the same mistake I did and really be sure whether that's the new car you want!
Mods: JBD @ 100% | Weisslicht LED side lenses | CF pillar trim | Cyba 4" dry carbon tips | CF trunk spoiler | LUX H8 V3 | 193M w/ Michelin PSS | BMS 12/15mm spacers | LTMW CF interior wrap | BSW Stage 1 | CF shifter trim | CF steering wheel trim | m-sport steering wheel | CF pedal set | CF license plate frames | Ziza LED interior kit | Euro side mirrors | M3 rep front bumper | Coded
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2014, 12:37 PM   #22
_Sinister_
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: e90 335i mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Knight_335 View Post
This +2
Test drive the one you want till you fall in love and you'll never have any RAGRETS
Attached Images

Last edited by _Sinister_; 01-08-2014 at 12:46 PM.
Appreciate 0