E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Identifying leak! Any help appreciated

01-07-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
matthew721
Private

Drives: E90 2006 325i

Identifying leak! Any help appreciated

So during Christmas I was out of town and saw this exact leak, at the time I checked the bottom of the car out, saw nothing, so assumed it wasn't mine. Well I had the oil changed yesterday, and this morning I see this! :-O

I checked the oil level, was exactly and the ok level, I smelled it and seems like oil, any ideas as to what I should be looking for or possible problems? Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance
Attached Images

matthew721 is offline   United_States
      01-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #2
f0xfire021
Private

Drives: '09 e91 328xiT | 6mt

Best bet is to get under the car and look at it, and to look into the engine bay with a flashlight. It looks like it's in the area of the oil pan drain plug, so might be that. Leaks higher up (oil filter gasket, etc) will drain down, but you can see signs of that sort of leak on the engine itself when you look in there.

I had a faulty oil pan (manufacturing defect apparently) that didn't seal correctly and slowly leaked oil. It showed up under the center of the car, not off to the side, but the oil was visible in many areas on the underbody panels. Again, getting in there and looking is your best bet.
      01-07-2014, 03:52 PM   #3
benzo23
Colonel

Drives: 14 F30 AW MSport

If it smells like oil its prob your valve head cover gasket leaking or your oil filter housing gasket, oil drain plug, . Did you try opening the hood to look around the topside of the motor?
      01-07-2014, 04:17 PM   #4
trk06
Lieutenant

Drives: with no spare

possible brake fluid but it's usually closer to front wheel. the oil must be travelling through bottom cover. i have replaced my valve cover gasket and getting ready to change the engine oil pan gasket ( f*in bolts ) in either case oil was accumulated beneath the engine bay area.
      01-07-2014, 05:03 PM   #5
matthew721
Private

Drives: E90 2006 325i

Thanks guys for the replies!

Well i do know I have a leaking oil filter gasket, but between oil changes it never drops below the minimum.

I checked the level this morning before I left and it still showed at the upper "ok" level? Could it be that much oil from the bad gasket alone and not have registered yet? I'll do an visual and oil check once I get a chance. Thanks
matthew721 is offline   United_States
      01-07-2014, 05:23 PM   #6
Hirschman
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthew721 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies!

Well i do know I have a leaking oil filter gasket, but between oil changes it never drops below the minimum.

I checked the level this morning before I left and it still showed at the upper "ok" level? Could it be that much oil from the bad gasket alone and not have registered yet? I'll do an visual and oil check once I get a chance. Thanks
That is a very small percent of your 7 quarts of oil, you would not see a difference in your oil level