E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > 2007 335i NAV - Which update can I get ?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-10-2014, 04:04 PM   #1
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
5

 
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

2007 335i NAV - Which update can I get ?

Hey guys,

I have the crappy 2007 I-drive NAV, How can I update this to something which actually has the streets I live on ?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:10 PM   #2
Maniac0908
Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Maniac0908's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD


Posts: 585
iTrader: (2)

Do you mean upgrade whole system or update the maps? Upgrade will cost you some money and update is a new map dvd from online or dealership. You can check your map year on the disc.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #3
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
5

 
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

I've been reading about this and not sure I completely understand. Is there a way to update the idrive software only ?

My original question is about updating the maps. Judging by your answer, I'm guessing I have a DVD with the maps inserted ? I never checked, I only got the car 4 days ago. Is the DVD drive able to read it if I burn it ?
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #4
AWD Addict
Chief Executive
35

 
AWD Addict's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi 6spd Coupe
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Boston


Posts: 2,483
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
If you're just looking for maps, you need a new DVD.

If you want the slick new operating system, you need a much more involved and expensive retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2014, 04:56 PM   #5
Maniac0908
Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Maniac0908's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD


Posts: 585
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by datbimmer View Post
I've been reading about this and not sure I completely understand. Is there a way to update the idrive software only ?

My original question is about updating the maps. Judging by your answer, I'm guessing I have a DVD with the maps inserted ? I never checked, I only got the car 4 days ago. Is the DVD drive able to read it if I burn it ?
Ya theres a dvd there. Look at your system youll see 2 slots. Top one is for cd's bottom is map dvd. (No it cant play dvds ) eject the bottom one. And see the date on it. If its old buy a new one at dealership. I think they sell online too. Not sure if it will read a burned one. As for the software im not 100% sure theres a update for it. Hopefully someone who codes or knows will chime in and tell you cuz id like to know too.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 08:11 AM   #6
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK


Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
Ya theres a dvd there. Look at your system youll see 2 slots. Top one is for cd's bottom is map dvd. (No it cant play dvds ) eject the bottom one. And see the date on it. If its old buy a new one at dealership. I think they sell online too. Not sure if it will read a burned one. As for the software im not 100% sure theres a update for it. Hopefully someone who codes or knows will chime in and tell you cuz id like to know too.

doesn't necessarily have 2 slots...

later 2007 cars had one slot, for both. Once u set a journey you can eject the map disc and play a cd (and I think play DVDs, need to check), it must have some form of memory - not sure if its a hard drive.

And NO I'm not talking crap thats how it is on my car and what it says this in the handbook. Mines a Business nav system....

I just posted what the firmware update looks like. (See pic below). Whole car intregration level updated to latest by main BM dealer Jan 2014 This car was on its original software and had never had anything updated. Even after two faults under warranty were probably software issues. They changed mechanical parts and left half baked, buggy software on the car. Took a lot of persuasion to get them to do the update... they just couldn't get why I wanted to do it and said they've only ever had one other customer request this.

What's criminal is this stuff isn't part of a std service. Read below and you get why they should do it.

Gear change is transformed (its like a new gearbox), change points and quality of shift is like its should be). The engine is much better, the throttle response is more linear, making driving smoother and easier. Its doing much better MPG, early days but I'd say at least 10% better. Mid range and top end power is far healthier. Performance wise there's a 0.6 mile steep hill near me and it how I check performance... mine is an auto you don't need to worry about shift points, you just nail the throttle and wait till you hit the top and look at the speedo. Before it struggled to pull 100 MPH up there, post software update its doing 110 MPH.

I've not noticed the entertainment stuff doing anything better or different menus. Nor the sat nav respond better or have any new features.... I hope its more accurate...

I had an e90 hire car in germany a few years back with same system and it couldn't tell which motorway we were on when one ran parallel to us. It kept jumping from one motorway to the other... very helpful with junctions on one and not the other. Mine did something similar before the update driving round M25 in December (I filled with petrol at South Mimms) got back on the motorway, where it decided I was actually driving 1/2 mile away 90 degrees to the motorway heading south on a road I couldn't have joined then for next half a mile I was rallying in a field.

There used to be a limit to how accurate nav systems were, with up to 6 or was it 10 m inaccuracy built in by law, (a security thing)... I believe this was changed a few years back.


Last edited by BOTUS; 01-11-2014 at 11:11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:48 AM   #7
Maniac0908
Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Maniac0908's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD


Posts: 585
iTrader: (2)

How mich did it cost for dealership to ipdate?
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:09 AM   #8
datbimmer
Wastegate Rattle
5

 
Drives: 335i m6t nav sport
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 493
iTrader: (0)

also interested to know. Thanks a lot for the info.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #9
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK


Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

read above I've just been updating it...

Well when we fist put autologic tool on the car it said 7.5 hrs of updates could be applied, but they didn't want to do any of them.

A second more experienced and more skilled bloke who does dyno mapping as well. Said well if autologic says 7.5 hrs then that's really 9 hours. He too was warning of doom and gloom can befall multiple systems when doing this. And its more likely to give problems if you are going from very early software... Then because they need to nurse maid it through, checking things are working / acknowledging etc. it means they have to charge more labour than main dealer.

Because he uses his autologic tool all the time he said he'd have to charge a lot as it stops him doing other work. With a remap he wanted 900 ($1400, at 1.6 xrate)

Another independent said 3hrs labour.

I gather most main dealers want to charge 2 hours labour. But if it goes smoothly then work wise its 1 hrs at a BM dealer.... and two hours plugged in to their better (for this kind of work) system.

BUT it didn't, 2 modules lost the plot and they had to fight to get it to programme. I was lucky !!! they kept to agreed price.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2014, 10:17 PM   #10
Maniac0908
Lieutenant
United_States
5

 
Maniac0908's Avatar
 
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silver Spring,MD


Posts: 585
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
read above I've just been updating it...

Well when we fist put autologic tool on the car it said 7.5 hrs of updates could be applied, but they didn't want to do any of them.

A second more experienced and more skilled bloke who does dyno mapping as well. Said well if autologic says 7.5 hrs then that's really 9 hours. He too was warning of doom and gloom can befall multiple systems when doing this. And its more likely to give problems if you are going from very early software... Then because they need to nurse maid it through, checking things are working / acknowledging etc. it means they have to charge more labour than main dealer.

Because he uses his autologic tool all the time he said he'd have to charge a lot as it stops him doing other work. With a remap he wanted 900 ($1400, at 1.6 xrate)

Another independent said 3hrs labour.

I gather most main dealers want to charge 2 hours labour. But if it goes smoothly then work wise its 1 hrs at a BM dealer.... and two hours plugged in to their better (for this kind of work) system.

BUT it didn't, 2 modules lost the plot and they had to fight to get it to programme. I was lucky !!! they kept to agreed price.
O ok. Ill have to check my local shops for prices. How do i get to that hidden menu you have up in those pics? I want to see what dates i have. Also, is the newest version 2008?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2014, 09:27 AM   #11
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK


Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maniac0908 View Post
O ok. Ill have to check my local shops for prices. How do i get to that hidden menu you have up in those pics? I want to see what dates i have. Also, is the newest version 2008?
Mine had the "integration" updated to latest version in Jan 2014...
Each car is different. BMW do everything in one go based on what their records show it should have and they pretend anything else you had fitted (options added) outside the official BMW network can not be accommodated.

It seems very clear to me this is what gives all the issues. Without them trying to programme the whole car based on what's fitted it plays up and modules crash (and sometimes die permanently), they get stressed the owner's car gets broken and often money changes hand.

I believe they don't even have a clue (or maybe any ability to check when using the dealer tool to programme) what systems, toys, extras etc. are on the vehicle order. They plug it in and push the go button. It dies and breaks things, wastes time and money and gives a lot of stress to everyone involved.

However checking parts system last night I came across a very interesting comment that CLEARLY states a dealer can add the extras to the car easily and code the whole thing properly.... Typical I can't find it now... but it tells the BMW tech how to add the non factory fitted option codes to the programming (add to asps or whatever it was) BUT maybe they don't know what's on the vehicle to start with or know what toys an owner subsequently had put on the car...

I suppose if they GUESS what's on it and get it wrong it will fail to programme and THEY might be responsible for breaking things. Hence their adversity to do so.


Mine was built Oct 2007 and had never had anything updated. The info I posted was screen shots from CCC before and after (one file goes to May 2010) this is not a list of everything updated (just a tiny little insignificant part). What changes for the whole car is massive. Just the module updates (not the details within) was 3 full pages of A4 and they wouldn't let me get a copy !!! They even said they have no idea what changes, why it changes or if an owner will notice any difference.

To see the bits I showed in iDrive


Step 1: Use the secret iDrive menu to determine what's your NAV version. Here's how:

Turn on ignition (you can do it with engine running makes no difference)

early CCC

Press the iDrive knob down for at least 10 seconds
Turn the knob 3 clicks clockwise
Turn the knob 3 clicks counterclockwise
Turn the knob 1 click clockwise
Turn the knob 1 click counterclockwise
Turn the knob 1 click clockwise
Press the knob down firmly and release

later CIC

The procedure for starting the Service menu with the "safe grip" has changed:

• Call up Start menu
• Push controller in up direction for at least 10 s
• Controller 3 notches to the right
• Controller 3 notches to the left
• Controller 1 notch to the right
• Controller 1 notch to the left
• Controller 1 notch to the right
• Press controller once
• The Service menu is now added as the last submenu to "Settings"
Four selection menus are available in the Service menu of the CIC:
• Navigation
• Telephone and BMW Service
• TV (Not for US)
• Gracenote

I wouldn't go to silly goodness knows what you could break.
Doing above brings up some new menus, I went in the Nav and the Versioncontrol (german spelling, on the car)
exiting was as simple at go back to info screen or turn off the car.
I even got a phone call doing it and TMC cutting in and out doesn't seem to upset it.

Last edited by BOTUS; 01-12-2014 at 09:33 AM.
Appreciate 0
      01-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #12
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant
2

 
Drives: E90 335d
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: UK


Posts: 226
iTrader: (0)

found so more improvements today after integration update

already mentioned gearbox is transformed and its a lot quicker..

MPG change on display is incredible.... before anything over 80 MPH the gauge showed the scary side of 30mpg... now at 85 MPH its sits at 45 and drift up to 50 MPG


and now what I couldn't believe was missing.... when I use screen washers the auto wipe feature is there... never had it before.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:07 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST