E90Post

TireRack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Living with an M3

01-13-2014, 10:59 AM   #23
stevens
Second Lieutenant

Drives: e92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gangzoom View Post
Buying a 335i based on its modding potential is a false economy. You need to spend £5k+ to get a 335 anywhere a M3 interms of handling/power, yet come sale time you wouldn't see a penny of that back.

Having said don't under estimate the running costs of a M3, one of my mates who's on a rather large income is now selling his E90 M3 partly because of running costs, where as my 335i has cost next to nothing to run (excluding all the mods), and I cannot see any reason why I would sell up for a long time yet
Agree with this, whilst I'm saying fuel doesn't concern me (it obviously does but like a 335i and M3 is still a high fuel cost), its due to how/where I drive the car, if I was still going up and down the country then I would need something like the diesel because the running costs would be ridiculous.
      01-13-2014, 12:50 PM   #24
windymissile
Lieutenant

Drives: 335i M Sport

Quote:
Buying a 335i based on its modding potential is a false economy. You need to spend £5k+ to get a 335 anywhere a M3 interms of handling/power, yet come sale time you wouldn't see a penny of that back.

Having said don't under estimate the running costs of a M3, one of my mates who's on a rather large income is now selling his E90 M3 partly because of running costs, where as my 335i has cost next to nothing to run (excluding all the mods), and I cannot see any reason why I would sell up for a long time yet
I see it more about 'real world, usable power'. You can get more from the 335i than an M3 gives for 600ish. In a more useable range. I agree, the M3 will out handle the 335i in all situations. The M3 will out handle almost anything. But how many times do you get to that end of the spectrum in everyday driving? Please don't think I'm knocking the M in any way. I know what a special car it is. I just don't think 99% of people need one 99% of the time. Sometimes it's not about need though. It's about desire. In this case, you should get what makes you happy.

WM

Edit:

The mods on the 335i will always see you get at least 75% of your investment back. Just pull them before you sell the car.
      01-13-2014, 01:04 PM   #25
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Clio 200 Full Fat

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile View Post
I see it more about 'real world, usable power'. You can get more from the 335i than an M3 gives for 600ish. In a more useable range. I agree, the M3 will out handle the 335i in all situations. The M3 will out handle almost anything. But how many times do you get to that end of the spectrum in everyday driving? Please don't think I'm knocking the M in any way. I know what a special car it is. I just don't think 99% of people need one 99% of the time. Sometimes it's not about need though. It's about desire. In this case, you should get what makes you happy.

WM

Edit:

The mods on the 335i will always see you get at least 75% of your investment back. Just pull them before you sell the car.
Why not just get a 320d then ? It almost looks the same, has the same badge, same steering wheel, similar size wheels, much better fuel economy and 85% of the time its exactly the same ...

The answer is "driving passion" ...
      01-13-2014, 01:53 PM   #26
windymissile
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
Why not just get a 320d then ? It almost looks the same, has the same badge, same steering wheel, similar size wheels, much better fuel economy and 85% of the time its exactly the same ...

The answer is "driving passion" ...
Correct. You have to enjoy driving the car. My opinion is that you can have just as much enjoyment driving a 335i for much less money than a M3.
A 320d would be acceptable for 50% of the population 50% of the time. I hate driving dervs. A 320d would be frustrating for the style of driving I have.
If we were all happy at this level then the 320d would be the only car sold.

WM
      01-13-2014, 02:15 PM   #27
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Correct. You have to enjoy driving the car. My opinion is that you can have just as much enjoyment driving a 335i for much less money than a M3.
A 320d would be acceptable for 50% of the population 50% of the time. I hate driving dervs. A 320d would be frustrating for the style of driving I have.
If we were all happy at this level then the 320d would be the only car sold.

WM
I disagree ...

The only valid opinion here is from someone who has owned both cars, or even all three, derv, twin-turbo petrol and v8 petrol, everything else is posturing and guesswork.
      01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #28
too hot
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E92 M3 Alpine White

I've got a white M3 that I am trading in for an RS4 Audi,you are more than welcome to have a drive in it and see what you think.
I'm in Ayr so not a million miles away from you !!
      01-13-2014, 03:35 PM   #29
windymissile
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBBoB View Post
I disagree ...

The only valid opinion here is from someone who has owned both cars, or even all three, derv, twin-turbo petrol and v8 petrol, everything else is posturing and guesswork.
So the OP asks for opinion on both cars.. One of which I have owned and the other I have spent quite a bit of time driving and looking for. Not too far from what the OP is doing himself. And my opinion is not valid..? Only you mentioned Derv. The OP never said anything about it..

No posturing. No guesswork. Just opinion and fact to help the OP make up his mind.
You're on here picking fault with comments I have provided to try and help the OP. I see you offering no help or opinion on anything other than what I have said..
You got some man love for me..?

WM
      01-13-2014, 03:40 PM   #30
phil200tdi
Colonel

Drives: 335i M Sport E90 LCI manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by windymissile
Quote:

WM

Edit:

75% - not in most cases

50% of the original cost on average for a used part sounds more realistic.

But this excludes labour - if you pay to have things fitted and removed it sometimes makes very little to no profit over just leaving the mods in place.
      01-13-2014, 06:52 PM   #31
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
So the OP asks for opinion on both cars.. One of which I have owned and the other I have spent quite a bit of time driving and looking for. Not too far from what the OP is doing himself. And my opinion is not valid..? Only you mentioned Derv. The OP never said anything about it..

No posturing. No guesswork. Just opinion and fact to help the OP make up his mind.
You're on here picking fault with comments I have provided to try and help the OP. I see you offering no help or opinion on anything other than what I have said..
You got some man love for me..?

WM
Not picking fault, just pointing out the obvious, each to their own ... a 335i is not a M3, it may be cheaper to run but it is far from an M3 ... why not consider running a 335D instead, its even cheaper and just as quick as a 335i ...
      01-13-2014, 07:29 PM   #32
sylonien
Major

Drives: M3

Had my 335i for about 3 years.

Owned Manual M3 for about 10 months.
New DCT M3 for about 2.5 months.

Fuel & parts more expensive of course.
Insurance similar.

Totally different when driven hard.
Normal driving - not much difference, just as comfy and quiet (inside).

Can't beat the look and sound though. A M is a M.

I almost went for a 330d for mpg, but couldn't do it.
Then almost went for a XF-R, but that wasn't my boat either.

Not letting my M3 go no matter what!
      01-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #33
SteveC
Captain

Drives: M135i

Curved ball

Sacrifice looks and you can have it all....

30 mpg+
Low tax rates
Lower running costs than a 335i
Comfort button for cruising
Sport and Sport+ for hooning
Faster than a 335i everywhere
A lot faster than an M3 anywhere below 5k rpm
More torque than the V8 everywhere in the rev range, esp. 1300-4000
Handles a lot better than a 335i, although not as well as an M3
Latest Sat Nav - good
Latest adaptive dual Xenons - brilliant
A car with the soul of the E30 M3....compact, light, nimble

M135i.....you won't find more bang for your buck. Does everything except look better than a 335i, outperforms an M3 anywhere under 5K and gets mid-way to M3 handling at the push of a button

Last edited by SteveC; 01-14-2014 at 03:17 AM.
SteveC is offline   United Kingdom
      01-14-2014, 10:24 AM   #34
BoBBoB
Second Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveC View Post
Sacrifice looks and you can have it all....

30 mpg+
Low tax rates
Lower running costs than a 335i
Comfort button for cruising
Sport and Sport+ for hooning
Faster than a 335i everywhere
A lot faster than an M3 anywhere below 5k rpm
More torque than the V8 everywhere in the rev range, esp. 1300-4000
Handles a lot better than a 335i, although not as well as an M3
Latest Sat Nav - good
Latest adaptive dual Xenons - brilliant
A car with the soul of the E30 M3....compact, light, nimble

M135i.....you won't find more bang for your buck. Does everything except look better than a 335i, outperforms an M3 anywhere under 5K and gets mid-way to M3 handling at the push of a button
Also available for under 280 a month on lease, absolute bloody bargain. Although adding DCT and sat-nav raises the cost, but bang for buck I doubt you can beat it.

An M3 would still beat it though :-)
      01-14-2014, 10:33 AM   #35
Lawton438
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335i

If you can afford the m3 then it's a no brainer IMO,

But If not then the 335i is still a very capable car especially if you were to put 3k into mods then in a straight line at least I don't think there would be much between them both, and day to day driving the 335i offers a lot more of a useable rev range without having to scream it to the redline as in an m3
      01-18-2014, 07:31 AM   #36
DavS1
Major

Drives: Emfree

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Thanks for all the input guys! Given me a lot to consider and think about.

My biggest worry about the M3 would be "can I afford it" will I moan every time I go to fuel it because I just filled up a few days ago....when I go to tax it, will I think..."bloody hell, nearly 500 quid...jeesus" these are my main concerns, I'm not rich, I don't owe anyone any money and I have savings and an "ok" job, my current car is paid off so whatever I get would be my deposit on my next purchase.

I do get quite bored after a while unless I can tinker with whatever car I have, I like adding parts which is why I think a 335i would be the better option, but as a few have stated, it's not an "M" car and it wont fully scratch that itch.

The reasons i'd love an M3 are; Looks, power, sound, it's an "M" car ofcourse, I'll probably never be able to afford one once im settled with a mortgage/wife/family

Quote:
Originally Posted by too hot View Post
I've got a white M3 that I am trading in for an RS4 Audi,you are more than welcome to have a drive in it and see what you think.
I'm in Ayr so not a million miles away from you !!
Thanks for the offer mate, that's very kind of you! when are you trading it in?

Windymissile - I don't ever go on track, I do the odd B road blast, and yea I probably do want the looks and the "M" badge, as well as the handling and power...but is that enough an excuse to go for it? I love cars I've loved cars since as long as I can remember and worked on them almost since I left school, cars are a big thing to me so I feel I should give myself the pleasure of owning something pretty cool!

Johnny1987 - Car looks great! v.jealous look forward to more pics and to hear how you're getting on with it!

Stevens - Thanks, good advice i'll keep that in mind when I go test driving! - fuel sounds like a killer, but if it's that worth it, will I care??

dobbo99 - I have a couple of friends with E46 M3's, great cars! especially for the price of them, I have considered them before but the E92 just does it for me!

3s4u2 - That's what I thought too, will I always want that M3 if I pick a 335i?? thanks for the input.

briers - do you mean other than tyres and fuel, I shouldn't really notice much difference in running costs, other than tax as you say?

Sylonien - hearing someone say they wouldnt let their M3 go for anything makes me think I just need to bloody get one! lol.

SteveC - 135i would be a great car, My mum has a 1 series and although great car I just feel it's too small inside for me. can imagine a 135i would be v.fun though!

Lawton438 - See, I do like turbocharged cars, ever since I sold my 200sx a few years ago i've missed "boost" but that was a totally different animal with a huge turbo to a 335i with a smaller unit.

Thanks again to everyone for their views and input, im still undecided & should be spending the money on other more "important" things...but where's the fun in that?
      01-18-2014, 11:59 AM   #37
mob17
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D

Comparing stock 335 and stock M3, its a no brainer. For purely driving, M3 is king. Admittedly i've only driven it once so i don't know its limits, but it felt great.

Currently i have a 335D. Great car for my needs. I'm planning to get a remap and all M3 arms, rear SF bushes, coilies/springs/shocks, and maybe a diff in the future. Thats what i feel would make me happy, and the M3 already has these, and more, set in place.

So, if you can afford to run it, get it. Obviously test drive a few first.
1996 E36 316I SE
mob17 is offline   United Kingdom
      01-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #38
sylonien
Major

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
Sylonien - hearing someone say they wouldnt let their M3 go for anything makes me think I just need to bloody get one! lol.
If you can afford it now, why not get it now and sell it after?
Then you will know for sure? What if there's no more opportunity
in the future for whatever reason?

As mentioned, I almost got a 330d, XF-R, 530d even!
But then tried one at the dealer and fell in love.

Then 10 months later, needed new rear tyres for MOT (sept 2013).
And man maths kicked in to level 11, traded it in and brought another one instead!

Oh and besides the whole M thing, I don't like the turbo feel or sound.
Doesn't feel the same. Even if its faster, the sound is very important to me too.

I think this is THE one. Or is it....? Might get a 2013 model in 3 years time.
      01-18-2014, 07:26 PM   #39
too hot
Private First Class

Drives: BMW E92 M3 Alpine White

Hopefully at the end of the month,however I have to wait till May for the new car.
So the theory is I can keep it till May if I want.its garaged and not been used in Winter so it makes no difference to me.
Btw I had a 335D before the M3 and after a few weeks realised what a mistake I had made.
Lasted 4 months before the M3 bug kicked in !!
      01-19-2014, 04:16 AM   #40
parapaul
Colonel

Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DavS1 View Post
My biggest worry about the M3 would be "can I afford it" will I moan every time I go to fuel it because I just filled up a few days ago....when I go to tax it, will I think..."bloody hell, nearly 500 quid...jeesus" these are my main concerns, I'm not rich, I don't owe anyone any money and I have savings and an "ok" job, my current car is paid off so whatever I get would be my deposit on my next purchase.
Just to add something else in the equation, RFT will almost definitely be available on monthly direct debit from (IIRC) this spring. There goes your 500 outlay, now it's only 40 a month. I know that would help with my budgeting - how about yours?

I can't help with the petrol costs though - I had to sell my old V6 petrol car because I literally couldn't afford to keep filling it up at 23mpg. I loved that car, too - it killed me to sell it
      01-21-2014, 01:57 PM   #41
DavS1
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
mob17, Yea, you can't really compare them both stock...I still think the M3 would feel better all round, plus as stated before...it's an "M" car...the 335i while still being a great car just wouldn't scratch that itch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
If you can afford it now, why not get it now and sell it after?
Then you will know for sure? What if there's no more opportunity
in the future for whatever reason?
Well, that's my thinking as well, I'm going to work out what it would cost for me to have one for a year and what i'd lose on depreciation, just out of interest...Could put of getting a house for a year for a good cause

Quote:
As mentioned, I almost got a 330d, XF-R, 530d even!
But then tried one at the dealer and fell in love.
I do like the F10's, lot of car for the money...stop throwing other indeas into my head it's hard enough lol.

Quote:
Oh and besides the whole M thing, I don't like the turbo feel or sound.
Doesn't feel the same. Even if its faster, the sound is very important to me too.
They do sound bloody good....lol

too hot, Ok cool...well if I convince myself I can afford it i'll give you a shout! Did you miss the low down torque from the 335d when you swapped for the M3?

Parapaul - That would definately sway it for me at 40 a month instead of the 500 quid hit...which is mental but hey ho the roads are in perfect condition...right?
      02-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #42
DavS1
Major

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Well today I finally bit the bullet and I've treated myself to an M3!!!! absolutely buzzing and can't wait to pick it up next weekend.

quick spec;
2011 1 owner car, originally specially ordered for the same dealer Im buying from with just under 20k on clock
DCT
Individual Monte carlo blue,
Competition pack
EDC (part of comp pack afaik?)
black extended leather
all the usual, heated seats, btooth, Pro nav etc..

Pic's don't really do the paint any justice I'd say..

Originally only went for a look not knowing they had one in stock, and after a good test drive I couldn't walk away without it! it's going to be a long week
      02-09-2014, 01:30 PM   #43
gangzoom
Major

Drives: E90 335i M sport

Looks lovely
      02-09-2014, 02:02 PM   #44
AWBimmer
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 335D Pre-LCI

Congrats that looks amazing!
AWBimmer is offline   United Kingdom