E90Post
 


Lux Angel Eyes
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 AE bulb type



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-12-2014, 07:39 PM   #1
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

E90 AE bulb type

So I'm looking to do 2500k Yellow AE's on my 08 E90 to match my fog lights. Only thing is I can't find the bulb type for the life of me. Wish it was the easy H8 bulb like the coupes. Any input as to which bulb type I should be looking for? seems to be a unicorn. I do NOT want 6k whites.

I'd like this, just on my non-M E90.



thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:02 AM   #2
uber
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 328i E90
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: San Jose

iTrader: (0)

lci e90s with xenon use h8 bulbs for angel eyes.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 01:03 AM   #3
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

08 is pre-lci
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
schmidtp
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
I also was thinking about doing Yellow LEDs. Here are some from eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-CREE-20W...e94faf&vxp=mtr
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2014, 12:13 PM   #5
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
71
Rep
3,086
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

pre-lci E90 xenon headlights use a unique bulb that cant be bought in stores. You need to go with either stock or an aftermarket LED bulb. We offer the LUX E90 V5.2 in a 6500k white, but i could make it in a different color if you wanted as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:02 AM   #6
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
pre-lci E90 xenon headlights use a unique bulb that cant be bought in stores. You need to go with either stock or an aftermarket LED bulb. We offer the LUX E90 V5.2 in a 6500k white, but i could make it in a different color if you wanted as well.
interesting, do you have access to 2500k yellow LED's? Only thing is the fact that LUX AE's don't fade in/out when you lock/unlock which I really like...

-Justin
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:02 AM   #7
rondeeezy
New Member
rondeeezy's Avatar
0
Rep
15
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

My LUX AE's fade in and out..

& Also I didn't know that I could request a certain color from lux for my pre lci. I wanted the amber color but it was only for LCI
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 01:54 AM   #8
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rondeeezy View Post
My LUX AE's fade in and out..

& Also I didn't know that I could request a certain color from lux for my pre lci. I wanted the amber color but it was only for LCI
noted. I could swear I remember seeing LUX comment about something with the type of LED's they use not being able to fade in and out like the "cheaper" alternatives
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
71
Rep
3,086
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudeLobster View Post
interesting, do you have access to 2500k yellow LED's? Only thing is the fact that LUX AE's don't fade in/out when you lock/unlock which I really like...

-Justin
Hi justin,
Well 2500K isnt really yellow, its a just a warm white, closer to a candle color. Most places never stock anything below 2700k however whcih would be the same color as the stock angel eyes. As well for the e90 pre-lci Sedan our LUX E90 V5.2 lights do fade in/off normally.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #10
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Hi justin,
Well 2500K isnt really yellow, its a just a warm white, closer to a candle color. Most places never stock anything below 2700k however whcih would be the same color as the stock angel eyes. As well for the e90 pre-lci Sedan our LUX E90 V5.2 lights do fade in/off normally.
well this isn't my car but he has the same foglights, nokya 2500k. This is the color I'd like to match:



which is a far cry from the OEM halogen "color" :/
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2014, 12:17 PM   #11
LuxAngelEyes
Banned
United_States
71
Rep
3,086
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

iTrader: (12)

2700K is the warmest in stock i can find anywhere. It would look like the stock angel eyes, just a lot brighter
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:31 AM   #12
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

gah, tempting, though I'd really hate to order it and then have it not match. It would really bother me if the fogs and angel eyes were so close in color yet didn't actually match. I may try pulling my halogens and spraying the bulbs with yellow glass stain first.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 10:24 AM   #13
schmidtp
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Now that you bring all this up it has me thinking if I even want to try those amber AEs. I wonder if there are some halogen fogs that would appear to be slightly more amber than yellow so it would match
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 01:42 PM   #14
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,349
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Now that you bring all this up it has me thinking if I even want to try those amber AEs. I wonder if there are some halogen fogs that would appear to be slightly more amber than yellow so it would match
In my experience the HID Yellow Fog Lights are more yellowish white. The Halogen 2500K Nokya are more of a pure yellow but I've yet to see a good amber color out of halogen (that wasn't designated for turn signals) or HID.

Perhaps an LED alternative but I've yet to try it personally. I know you can get some good amber color with LED and that is likely what it would take.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 02:26 PM   #15
schmidtp
First Lieutenant
4
Rep
300
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i 6MT
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Madison, WI

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
In my experience the HID Yellow Fog Lights are more yellowish white. The Halogen 2500K Nokya are more of a pure yellow but I've yet to see a good amber color out of halogen (that wasn't designated for turn signals) or HID.

Perhaps an LED alternative but I've yet to try it personally. I know you can get some good amber color with LED and that is likely what it would take.
Would an LED fog give good light output? I remember hearing a few years ago that LED fogs replacement bulbs were more for looks than output. The only reason I wanted yellow fogs is I only use my fogs in bad weather so I would want the best light for fog and snow. Wish pre lci xenons didn't make it so difficult to change the AE bulbs
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2014, 04:05 PM   #16
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Jeff@TopGearSolutions's Avatar
United_States
244
Rep
18,349
Posts


 
Drives: C6 Z06, GSXR-750, 09 335i
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: TopGearSolutions.com

iTrader: (32)

Send a message via AIM to Jeff@TopGearSolutions
Quote:
Originally Posted by schmidtp View Post
Would an LED fog give good light output? I remember hearing a few years ago that LED fogs replacement bulbs were more for looks than output. The only reason I wanted yellow fogs is I only use my fogs in bad weather so I would want the best light for fog and snow. Wish pre lci xenons didn't make it so difficult to change the AE bulbs
With todays technology they can be just as bright as HID. I personally have yet to test one on the latest BMW's though.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:21 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST