E90Post

Extreme Power House

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Improving Bluetooth for phones with limited compatibility

11-03-2007, 12:32 PM   #1
DaveC
Captain

Drives: 330 Touring

Improving Bluetooth for phones with limited compatibility

Not sure how many of you this will apply to, or even if I'm just slow and everyone else has done it already but here goes...

My Samsung has 'limited' compatibility with my bluetooth prep. For me what this means is a) No cradle which I can live without and b) No access to my address book which is annoying.

The phone receives and makes calls (using the radio or voice input) perfectly - I just wanted my address book or some of it available.

I'm assuming a fully compatible phone allows its address book to be queried by the car.

While messing around with the bluetooth I found my BMW has an object push service availble (as well as, oddly, file transfer). In the spirit of experimentation I sent it all my contacts - and they went. After a long pause they started to show up in the A-Z list of contacts in the radio

Things I learnt:

1. The radio (SA663 Professional in my case) has a limit of 30 vcard entries, but can accept more numbers if you put them in the alternate numbers fields. If thats gobbledigook try this - if you have multiple entries for people for their home, work, business, mobile numbers etc then compress them up and put all the numbers for people in the same entry (my phone like most lets me put in mobile and work numbers for people).

2. The contacts stored are on a per handset basis - if you pair with a different handset you wont see the other contacts.

3. There is no direct way to delete entries you create this way but if you delete the paired phone the contacts get erased too.

4. Its slow. Oh so slow. After you send the contacts nothing seems to happen. Then on my radio after a minute or two I get a list of letters that I have contacts starting with - but at this point I cant use them or do anything. After a minute or two more the full contact list is populated and I can use it just the way I hoped.

5. I had no luck sending individual entries oddly, maybe I just didnt wait long enough for them to appear. The letter that starts the name appeared in the list but never got filled out with the full contact.

6. My phone and the BMW disagreed about first name and last name order. For example if I told my phone someone was called Fred Smith then on the car they appear as Smith, Fred. I dont like this so I edited all the contacts I wanted to send and combined first and last name into one field - this at least made it consistant.

I had too many contacts to send but I realised half of them I would never want in the car anyway so I paired my phone to my laptop, uploaded all my contacts, erased the contact list from the phone and downloaded only the ones I wanted in the car. Wander out to car, upload, back to the house, erase contacts and send everything back from the laptop to the phone. Job done.

Disclaimer:
I have no idea which equipment this works with (IDrive, Hi Fi, blah blah) and if it ends up mangling your radio and you need a reprogram to fix it - tough

Again, if this is reposted or common knowledge I apologise. I am just happy I have made my phone fully usable.
DaveC is offline   United Kingdom