E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > E93 Audio Overhaul



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      01-14-2014, 06:58 PM   #1
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

E93 Audio Overhaul

hey guys, first time i'm posting in this section of e90post lol... when i get this done, i will do a write up and help people as much as i can, just hoping you guys can help me because atm i'm a noooob...

just a background on me, i did a full tear out of my old e46 and did all the sounds, but it was a 'juvenile' set-up, it was all based on getting the loudest possible sound, not really an audiophile set up... this, however, i do want to be high quality, but still loud... i have AKG K550s which are regarded as one of the best reference headphones ever made, and a full custom designed 5.1 surround sound system for my home cinema system - so you have an idea of what kinda person i am with sound lol....

soo, i want to do a complete tear out of the sounds in this e93... i want to keep the stock HU (it's a CIC system)... i'm guessing i have the base set-up as i do not have tweeters, buttt i have read somewhere that e93s have an amp even with the base set-up? need someone to clarify this pleaseee (the car sounds much bass-ier than my dad's e60 which does have tweeters so must have a better speaker package?)

anyways, this is my parts list (feel free to suggest anything else):
Processor - Audison Bit Ten D or JBL MS-8
3 x Amps - shown below
Front - Focal 100KRS
Mid-bass - Kicker SSM8
Rear - Focal IC100
Centre - Focal 100CA1
Technic Harness
Tweeter door grills
Centre console speaker grill
Sound deadening
Foam sealing
Wiring
Distribution block

Processor
Audison Bit Ten D
Fronts - 2 Channels (possibly send signal for rears and centres)
Mids - 2 Channels
Sub - 1 Channel
or JBL MS-8
Fronts - 2 Channels
Mids - 2 Channels
Rears - 2 Channels
Centre - 1 Channel (split to 2 channels for front and rear)
Sub - 1 Channel

Amp 1 - Kenwood KAC-X4D
Fronts - 2 x 50W RMS @ 4ohms
Mid-bass - 2 x 120W RMS @ 4ohms

Amp 2 - Kenwood KAC-6405
Centres - 2 x 50W RMS @ 2ohms
Rears - 2 x 50W RMS @ 2ohms

Amp 3 - Kenwood KAC-9105D
Sub - 1 x 600W RMS @ 4ohms

So everything explained:
Not sure on what processor to use, MS-8 seems popular with you guys, but I've heard really good things with the Audison... you guys let me know... not sure about my choice in amps but the kenwoods have always been reliable and sounded good to me (get good reviews too)...

Not sure if it works like this... but if I had the Audison, could i send the output signals to an amp for the fronts and split it to send a signal for the rears and centres (and then adjust the gains on the amps myself to what I like)?
or if I used the MS-8 split the single centre channel to give a signal for 2 speakers...

and this talk of a 2nd centre - basically I wanted to build a custom enclosure for a 2nd centre speaker to be put in the arm rest bit of the rear seats... I think it'll look cool and sound pretty good too, but correct me if im wrong lol...

Cos bootspace is limited, I wanted to build a custom subwoofer enclosure which will fit in the skipass hole and use the alpine shallow sub facing inwards (like this)... Atm there's a false wall but i'm sure it can be removed... And then I wanted to mount the amps on a false floor and wall in the rear section of the boot... Make it a clean build but it doesn't have to be showy!

that's everything! please do let me know if you think this is a terrible build or it's actually interesting... i haven't seen many e93 audio builds so know what i can do is actually hard to research!

any help will be much appreciated!
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-14-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
mathematics
Captain
 
mathematics's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

suggestions:

processor: Helix DSP or Mosconi 6to8, def not an audison or JBL

amp(s): Helix Competition A4, Mosconi, Focal

rears: i don't believe in rear/center speakers because stereo should just be left and right front channels and the sound from rears in a car makes me want to rip my hair out.

speakers: Jehnert Flatline kit

sub: i have a Dynaudio Esotar 1200 mounted IB in the ski pass (no box), pics of this are on the first page in this section under the other e93 thread

hateeeeeee how centers and rears sound. i can't stress that enough lol.



Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
hey guys, first time i'm posting in this section of e90post lol... when i get this done, i will do a write up and help people as much as i can, just hoping you guys can help me because atm i'm a noooob...

just a background on me, i did a full tear out of my old e46 and did all the sounds, but it was a 'juvenile' set-up, it was all based on getting the loudest possible sound, not really an audiophile set up... this, however, i do want to be high quality, but still loud... i have AKG K550s which are regarded as one of the best reference headphones ever made, and a full custom designed 5.1 surround sound system for my home cinema system - so you have an idea of what kinda person i am with sound lol....

soo, i want to do a complete tear out of the sounds in this e93... i want to keep the stock HU (it's a CIC system)... i'm guessing i have the base set-up as i do not have tweeters, buttt i have read somewhere that e93s have an amp even with the base set-up? need someone to clarify this pleaseee (the car sounds much bass-ier than my dad's e60 which does have tweeters so must have a better speaker package?)

anyways, this is my parts list (feel free to suggest anything else):
Processor - Audison Bit Ten D or JBL MS-8
3 x Amps - shown below
Front - Focal 100KRS
Mid-bass - Kicker SSM8
Rear - Focal IC100
Centre - Focal 100CA1
Technic Harness
Tweeter door grills
Centre console speaker grill
Sound deadening
Foam sealing
Wiring
Distribution block

Processor
Audison Bit Ten D
Fronts - 2 Channels (possibly send signal for rears and centres)
Mids - 2 Channels
Sub - 1 Channel
or JBL MS-8
Fronts - 2 Channels
Mids - 2 Channels
Rears - 2 Channels
Centre - 1 Channel (split to 2 channels for front and rear)
Sub - 1 Channel

Amp 1 - Kenwood KAC-X4D
Fronts - 2 x 50W RMS @ 4ohms
Mid-bass - 2 x 120W RMS @ 4ohms

Amp 2 - Kenwood KAC-6405
Centres - 2 x 50W RMS @ 2ohms
Rears - 2 x 50W RMS @ 2ohms

Amp 3 - Kenwood KAC-9105D
Sub - 1 x 600W RMS @ 4ohms

So everything explained:
Not sure on what processor to use, MS-8 seems popular with you guys, but I've heard really good things with the Audison... you guys let me know... not sure about my choice in amps but the kenwoods have always been reliable and sounded good to me (get good reviews too)...

Not sure if it works like this... but if I had the Audison, could i send the output signals to an amp for the fronts and split it to send a signal for the rears and centres (and then adjust the gains on the amps myself to what I like)?
or if I used the MS-8 split the single centre channel to give a signal for 2 speakers...

and this talk of a 2nd centre - basically I wanted to build a custom enclosure for a 2nd centre speaker to be put in the arm rest bit of the rear seats... I think it'll look cool and sound pretty good too, but correct me if im wrong lol...

Cos bootspace is limited, I wanted to build a custom subwoofer enclosure which will fit in the skipass hole and use the alpine shallow sub facing inwards (like this)... Atm there's a false wall but i'm sure it can be removed... And then I wanted to mount the amps on a false floor and wall in the rear section of the boot... Make it a clean build but it doesn't have to be showy!

that's everything! please do let me know if you think this is a terrible build or it's actually interesting... i haven't seen many e93 audio builds so know what i can do is actually hard to research!

any help will be much appreciated!
__________________
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
mathematics is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2014, 02:59 PM   #3
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathematics View Post
suggestions:

processor: Helix DSP or Mosconi 6to8, def not an audison or JBL

amp(s): Helix Competition A4, Mosconi, Focal

rears: i don't believe in rear/center speakers because stereo should just be left and right front channels and the sound from rears in a car makes me want to rip my hair out.

speakers: Jehnert Flatline kit

sub: i have a Dynaudio Esotar 1200 mounted IB in the ski pass (no box), pics of this are on the first page in this section under the other e93 thread

hateeeeeee how centers and rears sound. i can't stress that enough lol.
thank you for the suggestions!

i will check out the amps and processors you suggested... are the rears really that bad lool, why don't you turn down the gain from them??
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2014, 07:43 PM   #4
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (5)

You should also consider the Alpine H800 sound processor.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-15-2014, 09:43 PM   #5
mathematics
Captain
 
mathematics's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 328i e93 alpine white
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Queens, NY

Posts: 649
iTrader: (0)

can't turn down the gain. i don't have any rears =)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
thank you for the suggestions!

i will check out the amps and processors you suggested... are the rears really that bad lool, why don't you turn down the gain from them??
__________________
iPhone 5s (iTunes library/iTunes radio/Waze, etc) to Airport Express via AirPlay to Tru Technology SSLD6i via aux out of Airport Express to Helix A4S Competition. Dynaudio MD102, Esotar 1200, and MW152. Jehnert Door Cards and mid-bass'.
mathematics is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 05:24 PM   #6
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

changed it up a bit... i decided i do want to run centre and rear speakers, not really for SQ reasons, more for SPL, but i do like the sound from rears and centres...

and i decided im going to buy a 2nd hand Audision Bit One... it will be better than a new ms8 or anything else...

so here's the plan:
DSP - Audison Bit One
3 x Amps - see below
Front - Focal 100KRS
Mid-bass - Kicker RMB8
Rear - Focal IC100
Centre - Focal 100CA1
Subwoofer - JL 10TW3-D4
Custom enclosure
Technic harness
Tweeter door grills
Dash speaker grill
Installation materials

Amps
Amp 1 - Pioneer GM-D8604 - 130
Fronts - 2 x 50W RMS @ 4ohms
Mid-bass - 2 x 150W RMS @ 2ohms
Amp 2 - Pioneer GM-D8604 - 130
Centres - 2 x 50W RMS @ 4ohms
Rears - 2 x 50W RMS @ 4 ohms
Amp 3 - Pioneer GM-D8601 - 120
Sub - 1 x 400W RMS 2ohms
Total - 380 - 1000W RMS
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-19-2014, 08:52 PM   #7
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (0)

FYI

Best System examples
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445266
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=processor
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727760
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=level
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590420
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581379
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451941
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324214
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495855
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=technic
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Dotech
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=BSW
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...morel-jbl.html
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494299
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=550771
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540446
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532585
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+upgrade
http://www.bilstereoforum.se/showthread.php?t=2356
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443043

The one I like
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=level+3

You need to read the audio build thread it will answer a lot of questions
and has lists for the components that fit and work well.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

Recoding the Head Unit output to Hi Fi should be considered or cic

more info

BMW stereo types
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352586
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780605
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323
http://bmwcoders.com/forum/3-er-8/bm...1-e92-e93-291/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780865
http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf
http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1278871872

Last edited by ctuna; 01-19-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: BMW stereo types http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352586 http://www.e90post.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmen
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 07:05 PM   #8
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Best System examples
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=445266
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ight=processor
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=727760
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ighlight=level
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=590420
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=581379
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=451941
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540954
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324214
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=495855
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=technic
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=Dotech
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...&highlight=BSW
http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/...morel-jbl.html
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494299
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=550771
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=540446
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=532585
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+upgrade
http://www.bilstereoforum.se/showthread.php?t=2356
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443043

The one I like
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=level+3

You need to read the audio build thread it will answer a lot of questions
and has lists for the components that fit and work well.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323

Recoding the Head Unit output to Hi Fi should be considered or cic

more info

BMW stereo types
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=352586
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1266451970
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=343673
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=138949
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...2&d=1260829447
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780605
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=641323
http://bmwcoders.com/forum/3-er-8/bm...1-e92-e93-291/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...1&d=1209780865
http://www.bawarec.ru/manuals/3er/e9...3er-e90-12.pdf
http://www.musicarnw.com/page-2/
http://www.e90post.com/forums/attach...4&d=1278871872
thank you for this gold mine!
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

changed it once more lol, decided to not go for the focals as they are overpriced imo:
DSP - Audison Bit One
3 x Amps
Front - GZ Radioactive 100FX
Mid-bass - Kicker RMB8
Rear - GZ Hydrogen 402X
Centre - GZ Radioactive 42XII
Subwoofer - JL 10TW3-D4
Custom enclosure
Technic harness
Tweeter door grills
Dash speaker grill

Amps
Amp 1 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Fronts - 2 x 70W RMS @ 4ohms
Mid-bass - 2 x 150W RMS @ 2ohms
Amp 2 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Centres - 2 x 60W RMS @ 4ohms
Rears - 2 x 60W RMS @ 4 ohms
Amp 3 - Pioneer GM-D8601
Sub - 1 x 400W RMS 2ohms
Total - 1080W RMS
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 07:55 PM   #10
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (0)

Most of the rest of the Gold Mine

Install procedures
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=door+wires
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=19
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571803
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+install

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e90
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...DIY+door+panel
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553388
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=speaker
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf

Repair resources
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635672
http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...ioQ5fVideo#ht_
http://www.diyparadise.net/bmw_cd73_repair.html
http://www.bmwradiorepair.com/?gclid...FccbQgodIEn0Cg

coding
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604297
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802793
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480261
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1517538
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603002
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CPqY7sEC#gid=0
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-ELM-...d_rhf_ee_shvl2
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626106
http://forums.5series.net/topic/1060...g/page__st__15
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QBEN1T21N1M4QB
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603585
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=usenet

If you are in London the go to guy is Makkan00 he has a sticky on one of the
UK sub forums and can be of help with stereo and coding.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 05:59 PM   #11
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Install procedures
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ght=door+wires
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=19
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=571803
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ht=amp+install

http://www.bimmerdiy.com/dir/e90
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...DIY+door+panel
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=553388
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=speaker
http://bavariansoundwerks.com/produc...dan_Logic7.pdf

Repair resources
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=635672
http://www.bmwgm5.com/Logic7_6941681.htm
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-C...ioQ5fVideo#ht_
http://www.diyparadise.net/bmw_cd73_repair.html
http://www.bmwradiorepair.com/?gclid...FccbQgodIEn0Cg

coding
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=604297
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=802793
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=480261
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1517538
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603002
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...CPqY7sEC#gid=0
http://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-ELM-...d_rhf_ee_shvl2
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=626106
http://forums.5series.net/topic/1060...g/page__st__15
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...QBEN1T21N1M4QB
https://wiki.bentleypublishers.com/d...4242A6C62198A5
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=603585
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...ghlight=usenet

If you are in London the go to guy is Makkan00 he has a sticky on one of the
UK sub forums and can be of help with stereo and coding.
thank you so much!

and yup i know Makkan00 personally lol...

any thoughts on my parts list?? i'm questioning the Ground Zero speakers but they have good reviews... also the amps, i do like a Pioneer amp, feel they're better than JBL or Kenwood (the only 3 brands i've had)...
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:28 PM   #12
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (0)

None of your parts are the common ones

None of your parts are the common ones except the Technic
Harness. So its not something I have any knowledge off.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-21-2014, 09:35 PM   #13
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
thank you so much!

and yup i know Makkan00 personally lol...

any thoughts on my parts list?? i'm questioning the Ground Zero speakers but they have good reviews... also the amps, i do like a Pioneer amp, feel they're better than JBL or Kenwood (the only 3 brands i've had)...
I've never heard of Ground Zero, but I would recommend the Jehnert kit that mathematics suggested earlier.

As far as amps, there are definitely better quality amps than Pioneer. More power wouldn't hurt either.

You could use this for the front, rear, and sub.
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-.../dp/B007VSXGOQ

And this for the underseats.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Youd have
150W x4 Front and Rear speakers
200w x2 Underseats
500w x1 Sub
1200 watts total
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 03:11 PM   #14
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
None of your parts are the common ones except the Technic
Harness. So its not something I have any knowledge off.
yeah it's difficult to source all the common stuff in the UK... just reading reviews and asking fellow audiophiles to choose stuff lol...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
I've never heard of Ground Zero, but I would recommend the Jehnert kit that mathematics suggested earlier.

As far as amps, there are definitely better quality amps than Pioneer. More power wouldn't hurt either.

You could use this for the front, rear, and sub.
http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-V9-.../dp/B007VSXGOQ

And this for the underseats.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...F8&me=&seller=

Youd have
150W x4 Front and Rear speakers
200w x2 Underseats
500w x1 Sub
1200 watts total
i was looking at the Alpine setup as well, it was a tad more expensive but I wouldn't mind spending the extra if it was definitely worth it... i'll have a look! thanks
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      01-22-2014, 03:50 PM   #15
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
yeah it's difficult to source all the common stuff in the UK... just reading reviews and asking fellow audiophiles to choose stuff lol...



i was looking at the Alpine setup as well, it was a tad more expensive but I wouldn't mind spending the extra if it was definitely worth it... i'll have a look! thanks
Well the amps are more expensive, but you'd only need 2 of them so it shouldn't be much more. I also like that the pdx's put out the same power at 2 and 4 ohms.

The alpine sound processor is also nice. It has auto tune so it's easy to setup and you can still make all the adjustments you need.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0088K9O56
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008ADZ7FW

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=744658
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-01-2014, 07:50 PM   #16
335DieselPower
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: BMW 335D stock engine
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: London

Posts: 349
iTrader: (0)

Another Matte Blue 335 based in London.. I thought I was alone!!
335DieselPower is offline   England
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 12:40 PM   #17
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335DieselPower View Post
Another Matte Blue 335 based in London.. I thought I was alone!!
haha yeah, there's an m3 coupe about as well... not sure of any more but i'm sure more will pop up, this matte blue is becoming quite popular...
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 12:52 PM   #18
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

changed up the setup once more... spoke to a unbiased audio tech and he told me the ground zeros can run more power but wont be as nice as the focals so i bought them instead

and found a good deal on the Alpine DSP which outperforms anything...

so i've bought these parts so far:
DSP - Alpine PXA-H800
Amp 1 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Amp 2 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Amp 3 - Pioneer GM-D9601
Front - Focal 100KRS
Mid-bass - Kicker RMB8
Rear - Focal IC100
Centre - Focal 100CA1
Tweeter door grills
Dash speaker grill

i was gonna buy the Alpine amps, but i wanted to run more power to the sub... i figured with this setup, if 400W RMS isn't enough for me i won't be able to run more power... so i'm gonna take up the bootspace with an enclosure like this:


i'm probably gonna get the amp to run at 1200W RMS @ 1ohms... that should be plenty power for me and otherwise there's no point taking up that much bootspace... just deciding on what sub to get now... i'm thinking Sundown SA-12 but feel free to recommend me something else

waiting on delivery, gonna get the installation materials and the sub and start the build!
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS

Last edited by achu; 02-02-2014 at 02:49 PM.
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 01:12 PM   #19
ctuna
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Santa Cruz, Ca

Posts: 4,217
iTrader: (0)

Are you exceeding the capacity of the electric system

Are you exceeding the capacity of the electric system.
At some point you need a bigger alternator .
and extra battery . I have heard that is around 2000 watts
but that is only from info read on this board.
ctuna is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 01:19 PM   #20
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Are you exceeding the capacity of the electric system.
At some point you need a bigger alternator .
and extra battery . I have heard that is around 2000 watts
but that is only from info read on this board.
Over about 2000 watts that starts to become a problem. I'm using close to 3000 with an upgraded battery. I wish I could find a high output alternator that fits.
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 01:25 PM   #21
bmw325i
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: United States

Posts: 4,271
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achu View Post
changed up the setup once more... spoke to a unbiased audio tech and he told me the ground zeros can run more power but wont be as nice as the focals so i bought them instead

and found a good deal on the Alpine DSP which outperforms anything...

so i've bought these parts so far:
DSP - Alpine PXA-H800
Amp 1 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Amp 2 - Pioneer GM-D8604
Amp 3 - Pioneer GM-D9601
Front - Focal 100KRS
Mid-bass - Kicker RMB8
Rear - Focal IC100
Centre - Focal 100CA1
Tweeter door grills
Dash speaker grill

i was gonna buy the Alpine amps, but i wanted to run more power to the sub... i figured with this setup, if 400W RMS isn't enough for me i won't be able to run more power... so i'm gonna take up the bootspace with an enclosure like this:
http://www.soundevo.co.uk/installati...39_2_large.jpg

i'm probably gonna get the amp to run at 1200W RMS @ 1ohms... that should be plenty power for me and otherwise there's no point taking up that much bootspace... just deciding on what sub to get now... i'm thinking Sundown SA-12 but feel free to recommend me something else

waiting on delivery, gonna get the installation materials and the sub and start the build!
Here is my suggestion for amps. I am not sure what your budget is though.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXF6-P.../dp/B003FJJROS

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-F4-.../dp/B003GFZ6RI

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXM12-.../dp/B003GFXYNG

Here are a few pictures of my setup which is similar to what you had in mind.


Another option is to do an infinite baffle setup. 500 watts would be plenty for that.
Attached Images
  
bmw325i is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      02-02-2014, 02:47 PM   #22
achu
Captain
 
Drives: E93 335i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: London

Posts: 927
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
Are you exceeding the capacity of the electric system.
At some point you need a bigger alternator .
and extra battery . I have heard that is around 2000 watts
but that is only from info read on this board.
i dont think so, the total RMS is gonna be around 1800W... should be fine

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw325i View Post
Here is my suggestion for amps. I am not sure what your budget is though.

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXF6-P.../dp/B003FJJROS

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDX-F4-.../dp/B003GFZ6RI

http://www.amazon.com/Alpine-PDXM12-.../dp/B003GFXYNG

Here are a few pictures of my setup which is similar to what you had in mind.


Another option is to do an infinite baffle setup. 500 watts would be plenty for that.
ahh i wish i had that boot space! setup looks lovely... but mines a convertible lol...

and those Alpines were over my budget here in the UK! it's okay, the Pioneers are really good
__________________
2007 E93 335i 6MT

Facebook: Achu Ckr|Twitter: AchuCkr|Instagram: AchuCKR|Flickr: AchuCKR|G+: achu.ckr
THE BUILD THREAD|COMPILATION OF PHOTOS
achu is offline   United Kingdom
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:29 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST