E90Post

VIBE Motorsports

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > USB Retrofit Question - EBAY cable from Hong Kong

12-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Drives: E90 - Jet Black on Black

USB Retrofit Question - EBAY cable from Hong Kong

Hello,
I retrofitted bluetooth in my e90 pre lciusing a Mulf2 unit. Coded it and it works. I never installed the USB as I didnt wasnt sure which wires to buy at the time. Does any one know if the wires in the attached link will work? I dont plan on using a USB hub. Will the green wire in the picture go directly into the MULF2? thanks for your help.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/161162914100...84.m1438.l2649
Mrgiz13 is offline   United_States
      12-16-2013, 08:30 PM   #2
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Bump bump. Anyone
      12-16-2013, 09:27 PM   #3
PichaDis11
Captain

Drives: 08 328i

Have a look at this p/n: 61119129360 at ecs and judge for yourself. I bought the same cable and only had to shave off one of the notches for it to fit on the mulf2.
PichaDis11 is online now   United_States
      12-17-2013, 06:26 AM   #4
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11
Have a look at this p/n: 61119129360 at ecs and judge for yourself. I bought the same cable and only had to shave off one of the notches for it to fit on the mulf2.
Thanks for the reply. Did u use that cable to go from MULF to usb hub or mulf straight to usb aux in arm rest? Thanks
      12-17-2013, 05:08 PM   #5
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgiz13
Quote:
Thanks for the reply. Did u use that cable to go from MULF to usb hub or mulf straight to usb aux in arm rest? Thanks
Went straight from MULF2 to USB/Aux in arm rest. I ditched the Hub bub idea altogether as it was getting too complicated for an e90.
      12-17-2013, 06:26 PM   #6
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Nice. That's what I'll do. Did u have to reroute the Aux wire to the mulf as well?
      12-18-2013, 08:10 AM   #7
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Nice. That's what I'll do. Did u have to reroute the Aux wire to the mulf as well?
Yes sir.
      12-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #8
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Quote:
Quote:
Yes sir.
Thanks for the help. Did u use the original aux cable or did u buy a new aux cable? Thanks again.
      12-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #9
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

I think im going to give the Ebay cable a shot. Cheap enough so low risk. hopefully it works.
      12-19-2013, 12:37 AM   #10
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrgiz13 View Post
Thanks for the help. Did u use the original aux cable or did u buy a new aux cable? Thanks again.
Actually an aux cable isn't actually sold by bmw. I bought one that was built by a member here. Easy diy however. I could get you the pin out for aux on the mulfif you like as well

Quote:
I think im going to give the Ebay cable a shot. Cheap enough so low risk. hopefully it works.
Well to be honest it looks safe.. You could repin the aux portion ofthe cable to your liking too it seems. Thats is if the pins are removable.

Good luck though.
PichaDis11 is online now   United_States
      12-19-2013, 09:16 AM   #11
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Actually an aux cable isn't actually sold by bmw. I bought one that was built by a member here. Easy diy however. I could get you the pin out for aux on the mulfif you like as well

Well to be honest it looks safe.. You could repin the aux portion ofthe cable to your liking too it seems. Thats is if the pins are removable.

Good luck though.
Hey PichaDis, Thanks for all your help. I would def need the pinout for the Aux on the mulf. Ive been searching but cant find it. I know I saw someone post it somewhere.
      12-19-2013, 09:41 AM   #12
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Quote:

Good luck though.
Hey PichaDis, Thanks for all your help. I would def need the pinout for the Aux on the mulf. Ive been searching but cant find it. I know I saw someone post it somewhere.
Pins 4, 5, 22, 23. In my setup I haven't attached 23 as yet but all seems to work fine.
      12-19-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Quote:
Pins 4, 5, 22, 23. In my setup I haven't attached 23 as yet but all seems to work fine.
Great. Any of the wires to those slots or do specific wires have to go into specific slots?
      12-19-2013, 04:38 PM   #14
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E91 330D

Quote:
Went straight from MULF2 to USB/Aux in arm rest. I ditched the Hub bub idea altogether as it was getting too complicated for an e90.
Quick question and hope you do not mind answer.
I know bmw sell the retrofit kit for mulf high 2.
So in your car, did it work if you put the usb cable + new aux in to mulf high 2?

And if yes, then do you require Y cable or does it work with simple apple cable?

Thanks.
      12-19-2013, 05:22 PM   #15
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by makkan00
Quote:
Quick question and hope you do not mind answer.
I know bmw sell the retrofit kit for mulf high 2.
So in your car, did it work if you put the usb cable + new aux in to mulf high 2?

And if yes, then do you require Y cable or does it work with simple apple cable?

Thanks.
Have no problem in you asking man.

Yes. Both wires straight from the mulf2 to USB/Aux socket. I think with the kit, they give the USB hub also for a second USB port in the glove box.
The y-cable is needed for audio and control by radio/swc. The apple cable charges the phone however. I haven't tried with the new lightening connector though.
      12-19-2013, 05:25 PM   #16
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Quote:
Great. Any of the wires to those slots or do specific wires have to go into specific slots?
Umm with this I think the cable I got was already tagged with the pins marked off to go. But it is just input analog audio so feel free to try them all man. Just left and right channels.
      12-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #17
makkan00
Major General

Drives: E91 330D

Quote:
Have no problem in you asking man.

Yes. Both wires straight from the mulf2 to USB/Aux socket. I think with the kit, they give the USB hub also for a second USB port in the glove box.
The y-cable is needed for audio and control by radio/swc. The apple cable charges the phone however. I haven't tried with the new lightening connector though.
Many thanks mate.
      01-12-2014, 04:12 PM   #18
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Need some Help please. Hooked up the Ebay cable. Aux cable is working after routing it through the mulf. I connected it to pins 4,5, 22,23. USB is not working however. It is grayed out in my Idrive. I can't select the usb option. The cable does power my iphone so I suspect this is a coding issue. I added 6fl, iPod to VO and coded cappl with expert mode. Any ideas???
      01-12-2014, 07:32 PM   #19
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Edit: ok just realized my USB is working, just not working with my Iphone 5. I plugged in a USB stick and it played perfectly. Anyone know how to make the Iphone 5 work, plugging right into the USB or do I need a Y cable for that?

More Information...
I recently retrofitted bluetooth and USB using a Mulf unit. Bluetooth works great but I cant get the USB to work. When I try to access it the USB in Idrive, it is grayed out and I can not select it. The Aux now works after rewiring it through the Mulf. When I connect my Iphone to the USB it does charge. i believe I'm missing some coding. I have added $6FL, +IPOD, and KMP3 to the VO. I coded CAPPL using expertmode profile. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.
FYI , I have a 07 E90 with idrive.

Last edited by Mrgiz13; 01-12-2014 at 09:18 PM.
      01-12-2014, 10:05 PM   #20
PichaDis11
Captain

Quote:
Edit: ok just realized my USB is working, just not working with my Iphone 5. I plugged in a USB stick and it played perfectly. Anyone know how to make the Iphone 5 work, plugging right into the USB or do I need a Y cable for that?

More Information...
I recently retrofitted bluetooth and USB using a Mulf unit. Bluetooth works great but I cant get the USB to work. When I try to access it the USB in Idrive, it is grayed out and I can not select it. The Aux now works after rewiring it through the Mulf. When I connect my Iphone to the USB it does charge. i believe I'm missing some coding. I have added $6FL, +IPOD, and KMP3 to the VO. I coded CAPPL using expertmode profile. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.
You need the BMW y cable and the 30 pin to lightening adapter for the iPhone 5 to work.. Well it may or may not work. Some members have reported it doesn't work for them but it's worth a shot.
      01-13-2014, 07:35 PM   #21
Mrgiz13
Private First Class

Thanks P. I just ordered the Y and a viseeo wma 1000. I'll report out when it's all hooked up.
      01-14-2014, 11:37 AM   #22
BOTUS
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
. I have added $6FL, +IPOD, and KMP3 to the VO. I coded CAPPL using expertmode profile. Can anybody help? Thanks in advance.

what does added +IPOD mean?

I have 6FL using ulf hi.... and an iphone just works... ???