E90Post

GetBMWParts

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > fuel injector or spark plug/coil or something else?

07-23-2016, 08:13 PM   #1
slowbutsure
Private
Rep
Drives: 07 AW E90 335i

fuel injector or spark plug/coil or something else?

Hello need your help.
When starting the engine in the morning, the engine starts but "stalls" and shakes like it's "misfiring" and says "engine malfunction" and starts the engine fan right away. I then just turn off the engine and restart it again and it's fine like nothing happened.

After I drive the car, when the engine is warm, the engine is ok after every time I start the car, so long as the engine is warm. No other symptoms when engine is warm.

However, the next morning again, the engine stalls again, then I turn it off. Then restart then it's fine. Sometimes it's harder to start. But when it's warm its fine.

No codes showing.

15k miles ago spark plugs and coils replaced.

Questions:
Would a coil/spark plug cause this? Would a coil get better when it's warmed up?

Is this a fuel injector problem? Would an injector throw a code if it's malfunctioning? Would it be fine again when it's warmed up?

Any other ideas it might be? I usually do my own services but If I have to bring it to shop so be it.

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2016, 11:01 PM   #2
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

This is by no means a scientific diagnosis but my car did exactly the same thing when the HPFP was starting to go out. After sitting for a while (particularly if the car was parked for a day or two, the HPFP would not start to build fuel pressure for several seconds after starting. Once it "primed" it was fine for the remainder of the day. The next morning the problem started all over again.

The good news is that it is easy to confirm if you car has the same problem. With my Cobb, I can set the handset to display the HPFP pressure before starting the car. Once you start the car watch the pressure, it should immediately spike up to over 1,000 psi if it is working properly. When the pump is failing, you will have less than 100 psi while the engine is running rough and the engine will be idle normal when it starts pumping. If you do not have a Cobb, I am sure that you can start a log before starting the engine and make sure that you select the HPFP pressure as an item to log.
Appreciate 2
      07-24-2016, 04:58 AM   #3
slowbutsure
Private
Rep

Thank you. Crap HPFP. I have jb4. I'm not yet sure if it can detect pump pressure. How much would a HPFP to replace cost? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 10:01 AM   #4
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

You should not do anything until you can verify that the pump is having problems. Then you should check if your car is covered by the HPFP extended warranty. Some years are covered for over 100,000 miles.

If you are not under the warranty, and the pump is bad, you need to do a little research. There are two part numbers for the pump, a rebuilt and a new pump. Most knowledgeable people recommend the new pump.

When I purchased mine, I paid just over $400 for the new pump and put it in myself. I have heard that the prices have risen significantly since then. It is not a "hard" job to do yourself, but it takes some time and patience to complete. I am sure that there are a few detailed write-ups here if you search for DIY HPFP.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 09:27 PM   #5
slowbutsure
Private
Rep

Velocity, how long did the problem last for you? Did u get your fuel pump replaced? How much did it cost? I guess im on with it with starting. Just concerned if it gets worst? Also how much did it cost U to get it fixed?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 09:50 PM   #6
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

I can't tell you how long it could have lasted because I replaced it before it completely failed. One weekend I went out of town in my truck, after sitting in the garage for 2.5 days, it took me several attempts to get the pump to "prime". It would start, run rough and stall. I would restart and it would repeat again. After the 3rd or 4th stall, it ran rough and then smoothed out when the pressure built up. Before that, the LPFP was supplying all the fuel and the injectors were operating on less than 80 PSI.

In addition to the rough start, the HPFP could not maintain pressure with high boost at high RPM. My logs would show that the fuel pressure was drooping over 1,000 PSI below the requested pressure and the STFT's were maxed out trying to compensate. I knew that I needed to fix that if I wanted to go full throttle.

I called the dealer and they had one in stock, so I installed it myself the following weekend. I know that they have gone up in price some, but I paid $400 plus core.
With the new fuel pump, the car started the second I pressed the start button and idled completely smooth instantly.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 11:59 PM   #7
slowbutsure
Private
Rep

Thank you Velocity! Time to DIY. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 03:00 AM   #8
7smurfs
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: e82 135i

Similar symptoms and fuel injectors were the cause.

Have you got any codes?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2016, 08:06 AM   #9
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep

To reiterate, do not replace the HPFP unless the pressure test indicates that it is failing. There is more than one component that can cause similar symptoms and replacing the wrong item will not solve your problem. Checking the HPFP is easy to do.

Also, confirm that your car is not eligible for the extended warranty period before replacing it yourself. If the dealer will replace it for FREE, why not let them do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:09 PM   #10
slowbutsure
Private
Rep

Sorry I was out of town on this.
Good point about pressure test!
I have jb4. How do you test for pressure? will the jb4 determine the pressure for me? do I have to have the shop do the pressure test.

There was a code-"misfiring" but that can be a lot of other things too huh?

Thanks man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Velocity26 View Post
To reiterate, do not replace the HPFP unless the pressure test indicates that it is failing. There is more than one component that can cause similar symptoms and replacing the wrong item will not solve your problem. Checking the HPFP is easy to do.

Also, confirm that your car is not eligible for the extended warranty period before replacing it yourself. If the dealer will replace it for FREE, why not let them do it?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:13 PM   #11
slowbutsure
Private
Rep

ok good point. had a code.... "misfiring" it didn't say anything else. the injectors where replaced 80k miles ago.

damn. annoying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7smurfs View Post
Similar symptoms and fuel injectors were the cause.

Have you got any codes?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2016, 12:17 PM   #12
2011z435is
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4 sdrive35is

any chance you have a "cold start noise reduction" option checked in the tune. not sure if jb4 has that or not. But that caused a whole bunch of cold start issues for me.
Appreciate 0