E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Ground prong on OEM battery tender broke off - safe to use?

01-25-2014, 12:28 AM   #1
chatoyer
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Ground prong on OEM battery tender broke off - safe to use?

I know nothing about electrics. The ground prong on the cord for my battery tender (OEM) broke off. Is it safe to still plug it in?

I can probably fumble my way to DIYing a new plug end, but it's still damn cold and my garage isn't heated.
      01-25-2014, 12:40 AM   #2
TheeGovernor
Life is better with burnouts

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
I know nothing about electrics. The ground prong on the cord for my battery tender (OEM) broke off. Is it safe to still plug it in?

I can probably fumble my way to DIYing a new plug end, but it's still damn cold and my garage isn't heated.
You will be fine.
      01-25-2014, 02:11 AM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post

If it were me, I'd put a new one on, it's a $2 part at home depot and should be relatively easy, even more so if the cord is double-insulated like it ought to be, with a black jacket surrounding 3 insulated interior wires. If that's the case, green is ground, black is hot (thin prong on the outlet) and white is neutral (thick prong).

Believe it or not, the polarization and grounding actually DO make a difference and will reduce the risk of shocking yourself, especially in a garage setting where water on the well-grounded concrete is a real hazard and where the tender has a good chance of getting knocked around.

But if the price is risking your balls to the cold to get the job done, it's not a big deal. It's probably going to be fine for the near future, anyway, no rush to do it tonight.
      01-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #4
chatoyer
Private First Class

Drives: 2011 328i xDrive

Awesome. Thanks to you both. I'd like to try to do it myself at some point, but as I say: once this ridiculous weather shifts.
      01-25-2014, 07:28 AM   #5
John 070
Lieutenant General

Drives: 335i cpe

LOL reminds me of when I was an undergrad. I had this fancy Swedish made in China iron that was given to me, and the plug broke. A buddy who was getting his masters in EE said yeah, you have to buy a new iron. You don't want to use that one anymore, and I can't imagine it'd be more than $100 or $120.

Then, another roommate who was taking some ga* a** major like psychology goes, run over to the supermarket (it was walking distance) and buy a new plug and put it on yourself, it's a rip-off at the supermarket but probably around $5. Go and tell moneybags over there that I saved you $95.

It's kind of funny how someone who was a EE had no practical knowledge of how to fix a simple problem.
      01-25-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
mike3000fl
Eleven Bravo

Drives: 06 330i

Garage likely has gfci. No worries.