Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

  E90Post
 


TireRack

   PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Should I Roll or Shave the rear fenders?



Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      02-27-2014, 12:20 AM   #1
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Should I Roll or Shave the rear fenders?

Getting ready to put the summer set up on soon, right now its
Fronts
235/35/19 on a 19x9 wheel with a et35 and a 12mm spacer and

Rears
275/30/19 on a 19x10 et 38 with a 15mm spacer

I'm putting on H&R coilovers in a couple weeks so I'll be dropped. I want to run a nice beefy set up with the tires I have now and then mid summer run a 235/40 and a 275/35 for more beefy set up. I don't know if I should shave the fenders or if a roll will do or if I should run a more conservative offset... or drop to a 12mm spacer in the rear and go with a 10mm up front...I'm pre-lci e90.. Kind of stuck what do you guys think?

Last edited by scotty_miller; 02-27-2014 at 09:17 PM.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:16 PM   #2
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Anyone?
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:31 PM   #3
MissE90
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
30
Posts

 
Drives: Owner of a beautiful E90 ;)
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

roll the fenders! your offsets plus spacers are aggressive and if you shave them you might end up with the dreaded "bacon fenders"
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 09:52 PM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
Delusive's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,500
Posts

 
Drives: Static E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (6)

I shall give you words my friend told me after he shaved his rear fenders,

"I should of shaved my fenders from the beginning, rolling them was a waste of time".
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2014, 10:14 PM   #5
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Fender roll-1 Shave-1.Any other input?!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:55 AM   #6
NudeLobster
Second Lieutenant
NudeLobster's Avatar
6
Rep
224
Posts

 
Drives: 08 PBM 335i E90 w/ sports
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Downers Grove, IL or ATL, GA or Asheville, NC

iTrader: (0)

what is this bacon fender? there are many people on here with shaved fenders that never have any issue. It leads me to believe it depends on the location/amount of shaving. I need to shave my rears and despite asking many people on here for more info on the shave they did, I have come up empty handed. It's like it's some elite club hiding it's secret lol. One member was gonna email pics but I think he just forgot about it. Anyways, for those with the shave, can you post a picture detailing the shave?

Reason I ask is because the local fender roller guy (who rolls 3-4 cars a day, 6 days a week. IDK how there are that many needing rolls haha) said that he shaved an E90 once against his say because the customer strictly insisted to shave them despite his thoughts against it. he said the fender buckled just like he warned. I assume this may be the same bacon fender referred to above. Either way, I am pretty sure there is a wrong and right way to shave. I, personally, just need to see some pics detailing the right way to do it!

thanks,
Justin
__________________
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 01:59 AM   #7
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
5
Rep
430
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NOR CAL

iTrader: (6)

SHAVE. I "WAS" in the same situation as you in your pursuit of your offsets. Saves you the time, money, and trouble. I actually got mine shaved today and now I dont rub at all. In fact im about to add on a 15mm in the rear rather than keeping my 10mm now. So much more clearance and room. However make sure you take it to a good bodyshop that knows what they are doing. Obviously a good job on the cutting and sealing the exposed metal from future rusting.
GL boss
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:01 AM   #8
johnnyboi418
Lieutenant
5
Rep
430
Posts

 
Drives: e90 335i Sedan 09
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: NOR CAL

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
I shall give you words my friend told me after he shaved his rear fenders,

"I should of shaved my fenders from the beginning, rolling them was a waste of time".
Needed those words of wisdom :[
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 02:04 AM   #9
Route 16
I got lei'd
Route 16's Avatar
Philippines
60
Rep
4,701
Posts

 
Drives: '07 E90 328i
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: BayArea

iTrader: (31)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS-NA.E92 View Post
I shall give you words my friend told me after he shaved his rear fenders,

"I should of shaved my fenders from the beginning, rolling them was a waste of time".
Did I say that or Grant? I feel like I said the first few words.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:09 AM   #10
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboi418 View Post
SHAVE. I "WAS" in the same situation as you in your pursuit of your offsets. Saves you the time, money, and trouble. I actually got mine shaved today and now I dont rub at all. In fact im about to add on a 15mm in the rear rather than keeping my 10mm now. So much more clearance and room. However make sure you take it to a good bodyshop that knows what they are doing. Obviously a good job on the cutting and sealing the exposed metal from future rusting.
GL boss
haha thanks man. I told it to one body shop in our area that pretty reputable. And they said it my whole rear corners would need repainted and I tried to tell them it doesn't need repainted just under coated. I have a pretty steady hand I'm still debating whether or not to do it on my own or find another body shop. Closest shop that actually can shave fenders and that's VAC and they're 5 hours from me
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 09:18 AM   #11
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NudeLobster View Post
what is this bacon fender? there are many people on here with shaved fenders that never have any issue. It leads me to believe it depends on the location/amount of shaving. I need to shave my rears and despite asking many people on here for more info on the shave they did, I have come up empty handed. It's like it's some elite club hiding it's secret lol. One member was gonna email pics but I think he just forgot about it. Anyways, for those with the shave, can you post a picture detailing the shave?

Reason I ask is because the local fender roller guy (who rolls 3-4 cars a day, 6 days a week. IDK how there are that many needing rolls haha) said that he shaved an E90 once against his say because the customer strictly insisted to shave them despite his thoughts against it. he said the fender buckled just like he warned. I assume this may be the same bacon fender referred to above. Either way, I am pretty sure there is a wrong and right way to shave. I, personally, just need to see some pics detailing the right way to do it!

thanks,
Justin
I know I've searched so much and the fender shaving threads hasn't given me any good leads! haha I'm planning on leaving about 4mm on my lip. That's what I came up with for a safe shave so the fenders on bacon. That's the most I've gotten from the threads I've read. Then some guy said he shaved the lip down to 2mm and I think that's way to much and definitely would run into issues
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
VMRWheels's Avatar
261
Rep
16,043
Posts


 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Anaheim, CA

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
You will see a lot of people shaving the fenders, since it frees up the most clearance and it leaves the outside looking pristine. If the metal is not sealed properly though, you could experience rust over time. I would say that if you're getting minor rubbing, a fender roll might be better, but shaving will definitely give you the most room.
__________________

VMR | Wheels - Mitch A. | p. 714-442-7916 extension 107 | e. Mitch@velocitymotoring.com | ** VMR Holiday Special! **
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2014, 01:49 PM   #13
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
10,522
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
Shave.
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 12:07 AM   #14
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post
Shave.
I'm listening to the expert, thanks for chiming in man!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 07:51 AM   #15
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
191
Rep
10,522
Posts

 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

iTrader: (36)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty_miller View Post
I'm listening to the expert, thanks for chiming in man!

Just be sure to do enough. You don't need to go wild with those specs.
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 10:20 AM   #16
scotty_miller
Lieutenant
scotty_miller's Avatar
6
Rep
527
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 135i msport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Hollidaysburg, PA

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mashimarho View Post

Just be sure to do enough. You don't need to go wild with those specs.
How much would you say to go? I'm thinking of leaving 4-5mm of the lip on so its big enough that I won' run into any buckling or major separation of the inner part of the fender... Or do I even need to leave that much?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2014, 01:16 PM   #17
dtea604
Lieutenant
dtea604's Avatar
Canada
7
Rep
562
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90 325i
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Vancouver

iTrader: (0)

Get a max roll if possible cuz if you olannon dropping to one finger gap all around or even less you want the clearance to not rub against your fenders. You could shave but make sure both jobs are done by reputable shops even if you choose between the two.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2014, 12:40 AM   #18
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
Delusive's Avatar
United_States
27
Rep
1,500
Posts

 
Drives: Static E92
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Bay Area, CA

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyboi418 View Post
Needed those words of wisdom :[
Lol, it's better to shave your fenders if you plan on keeping the car. I plan on shaving my rear fenders since my fender roll isn't cutting it.

So shave them

Quote:
Originally Posted by Route 16 View Post
Did I say that or Grant? I feel like I said the first few words.
Yeah you said that Grant didn't shave his fenders yet.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:26 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST