E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > iDrive Location Sort alphabetically

12-19-2005, 09:24 PM   #1
Gantra
Enlisted Member

Drives: '06 330i

iDrive Location Sort alphabetically

The manual says search results for destinations such as banks/restaurants/etc based on location can be sorted based on distance OR alphbetically. However, the manual says nothing about how you change the sort preference. I always get results based on distance and i'd really rather have them alphabetically sorted with a certain distance cutoff. When i try and find a certain restaurant a friend is at, i have alot of trouble scrolling through the list based on distance.

Anyone have any ideas on this one? Or does the manual really mean the list is sorted based first on distance and secondarily alphabetically?

Thanks!
      12-19-2005, 10:02 PM   #2
Oz
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2006 330i, 2004 X5

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Oz Send a message via MSN to Oz
I haven't been able to figure it out but I just wish there was a search future to look for restaurants/establishments...
      12-20-2005, 06:54 AM   #3
syntax_check!

Drives: E90 330d

Its the same for me. The lists are in distance order. On E46's with satnav there was a Falk Travel Guide guide that gave you a search menu, the results were very good in that they gave descriptions and showed pictures of hotels, phone numbers for instance. I have the european version of the DVD 06-1 and I can't find this feature although on the DVD printed side there is mention of Falk
      12-20-2005, 10:52 AM   #4
jcoo085
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 320d

Garage List
2005 320d  [0.00]
If you do a search on Destination [town/city name], then it will show each entry alphabetically. If you do a search On Location, then it will have it organised by distance (but I think it's "as the crow flies", rather than actual driving distance). I can't remember how it works for the other two (Other Place and the last one I can't remember). I'm guessing Other Place will work the same as Destination.

EDIT: The town/city name will be the name of the town/city you last used or are currently using for navigation.

E90 320d - Black Ext/Fluid Grey Int | Steptronic | Business Navigation | PDC | Sunroof | Alarm
Exterior Pictures | Interior Pictures | Video
      12-20-2005, 09:48 PM   #5
ACELR8

Drives: 2005 330i

What about when you want to find a home improvent store or coffee place (insert *bucks here) I can't find a way to look something like that up alphabetically....... The alphabetical mode works for me only when I am searching for a town, county, or city. Anyone know how to find something else other than a location?
      12-21-2005, 08:58 AM   #6
Compos Mentis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: Arctic 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACELR8
What about when you want to find a home improvent store or coffee place (insert *bucks here) I can't find a way to look something like that up alphabetically....... The alphabetical mode works for me only when I am searching for a town, county, or city. Anyone know how to find something else other than a location?
FYI,
P. 130, Navigation>New Destination>Information>On Location>
Banking and Shopping >Specialty Foods (Don't go to Restaurants!)

Don't get too excited. There isn't much information to be had, compared to Toyota's mapping (and ease of selection).

So far, I can't sort alphabetically either, just by default distance.
18000 miles...

Last edited by Compos Mentis; 12-21-2005 at 09:29 AM.