E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Almost lit it on fire.

03-21-2014, 05:47 PM   #1
weareweird69
Private

Drives: 06 330XI

Almost lit it on fire.

Put new rear wheel bearings in the car today. Everything went pretty good. Bearings in and out etc.

Put it back together and then took it for a spin. "4x4!" Shows up on the dash. And the DSC light. Back in the shop it goes. Threw a datalog on it and neither rear speed sensor is showing speed when on the rack and moving.

We put the correct bearings in with the speed sensor side on the inside. For the speed sensor to read off of.

I ordered two new speed sensors for the rear of the car.

I checked codes. And the only visible ones are for the transfer case. Its pissed because it thinks the cars moving. But the speed sensor says it isn't.

How common is it for the speed sensor to die? I did some research and found it to be common. But just wanted to ask around.
      03-21-2014, 05:50 PM   #2
NormE91
Captain

Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

Neither speed sensor is reading anything? I'd double check that they're installed correctly. Are they new or did you reuse the old sensors?
NormE91 is offline   United_States
      03-21-2014, 05:52 PM   #3
weareweird69
Private

Reused the old sensors. But I did notice they were rubbing the old bearings. The old bearings were TOAST. Only one way to install them.
      03-21-2014, 05:54 PM   #4
weareweird69
Private

We also replaced both bearings too.

And just mad because no one stocks them except one dealer that's 85 miles each way. I need the car by Monday :/
      03-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Casca
Captain

Drives: E90 6MT

What bearing went on? F.A.G.? If so, are you sure you know which side was the magnetic side? Seems kinda unlikely that both sensors stopped working. You can try spraying both ends with contact cleaner and making sure the mounting area on the knuckle is clean.

I did my wheel bearings a while back with F.A.G. bearings. It has black on one side and orange on the other. My understanding was the black was the magnetic side, so I pressed it in black side first with the red being on the side with the wheel

Everything checked good.
      03-21-2014, 09:14 PM   #6
weareweird69
Private

Casca. Yeah black side in.

We tried cleaning the sensors to no avail as well.

The sensor mounting surface was also clean.

We checked resistance and got just under 5 ohms. Which is kind of high. So we ruled them as bad.

It was very strange that both quit. Unless we somehow got bad bearings.

I bought Timkens. But when I opened the packages they were branded F.A.G. which is what came out of the car.

The old bearings were rubbing the old sensors. So were wondering if they failed because of that.
      03-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #7
5tony
Private First Class

Drives: "11 Le Mans Blue 335i M-Sport

For what it's worth, my X5 showed that warning after being in the shop and I pointed it out to the SA. He told me it would go away after driving it a bit and it did.
      03-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #8
weareweird69
Private

I just took it on a 5 mile trip. Its pissed now.

After flashing the traction control lamp.

I got BRAKE, Traction Control, ABS, 4x4, Low Fuel, Airbag lights, lost speedo, and lost fuel gauge.

Cleared codes 3 times, and they keep coming back.

Getting.

5DEC
C998
5E3E
5E5E
5E40
5E3D
5E4B

All related to the rear sensors technically.

I Datalogged while driving, and got ZERO input from the rear speed sensors.

Two new Bearings, and two new rear abs sensors.

Got the ABS sensors directly from BMW this morning.

Im thinking the bearings are faulty. Havent tried to spec out and see if you can see them moving while checking the sensor.

I know the one code is for the SZL, and the turn signals cancel like they should, and the wheel locks and unlocks like it should.

Im out of ideas.

Last edited by weareweird69; 03-22-2014 at 11:55 AM.
      03-22-2014, 11:54 AM   #9
Bimmertech113
Private

Drives: None

If you don't take them out when you do the rear bearings on e90s you will crush them with the press tools. Or it will put a dent the the ring on the inside of the new bearing ring.
      03-22-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
weareweird69
Private

Well, naturally we removed them first.

Ive come to the conclusion that the bearings are defective. I will be replacing them with OEM BMW units.

Did some more research and found this on M3Post. It relates to an M3, but same general issue I was having.

Quote:
Hey, so I did the job myself and fixed all problems. I was unable to do a DIY, but I did learn and confirm quite a bit.

As a refresher, I drive an 2009 e92 M3, and a few months back, I had three warning lights come on the iDrive screen:

1. Braking/Chassis stablization malfunction!
2. DBC malfunction! Drive carefully
3. Start-off assistance inactive!

Additionally, the cruise control would not work and I was getting the yellow ABS, Brake and triangle with the arrow encircling it, and the ((ABS)) warning.

The car drove normally. I didn't notice any noise. I took it to Dinan, and after a relatively expensive diagnosis, they told me that I a left wheel bearing assembly was defective.

I first tried replacing the sensors, and cleaning out where the attach to the hub. It was a cheap and easy job--but it was not the problem.

So I ordered bearings from a site called partsgeek.com. They were about $90 per wheel, and new axle nuts (about $9). I also went to Harbor Freight Tools and purchased a bearing separator (about $20) and Front Wheel Bearing Adapter kit (about $100). And after a lot of trial and error (and maybe a little cussing), I replaced both bearings.

I got into the car, and took it for a test drive. Everything was great with the ride, but all of the same lights came on--and more. The word "Brake" turned red, and the Airbag light came on, and I had no speedometer.

I ended up purchasing a second set of bearings from BMW (about $140 each), and interestingly they looked identical to the Timkens I purchased previously. Turns out that the first set I purchased were boxed incorrectly (or??) because they did not have the magnetic sensors. I put in the BMW bearings, and drove the car--and everything is back to normal. All lights out, and speedo and cruise control work again.

So this is what my experience suggests.

1. If you get the three lights, you need to replace a rear wheel bearing.
2. If, in addition to the three lights, your speedo doesn't work--its your right rear wheel bearing that is bad.
3. If, in addition to the three lights, your cruise control doesn't work--is your left wheel bearing that is bad.
4. If, in addition to the three lights, you have no speedo, no cruise control and your Airbag lights come on, then both rear bearings need to be replaced.
5. Although special tools are needed to do this job, it is possible to do as a DIY. The special tools you will need cost $120, and are pretty readily available. It can be pretty physical, but it is not all that complicated.
6. Although replacing the sensors is easy, they are probably not the problem. And no, cleaning them out will not fix the problem.
7. The system will reset itself when it gets a consistent signal from both wheel sensors.

When I get a chance, I'll see if I can do a walk-through from memory.
      03-23-2014, 02:55 PM   #11
weareweird69
Private

Anyone else?
      03-24-2014, 06:43 PM   #12
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328 wagon

Can you confirm the bearings are bad with a test that does not involve replacing them?..

Did you test the new sensors to see if they are sending signal through the wiring?

Can the computer receive those signals through the wiring connections?

Sometimes its a physical issue, like a connection problem or corroded wiring...very simple...Does the wiring have continuity where it should and the right amount of resistance ?
Im afraid Im being a bit vague here, but I hate to see you rip the whole thing apart if its something else.
I have trouble believing that the bearings are bad...but you never know. Can these bearings be "demagnetized" by a security check scan by Homeland Security????

best of luck with it!

JP
      03-24-2014, 08:25 PM   #13
weareweird69
Private

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07lilredwagon View Post
Can you confirm the bearings are bad with a test that does not involve replacing them?..
Not really, unless by using a meter or oscilloscope to test, but that requires a known good ABS sensor.

Quote:
Did you test the new sensors to see if they are sending signal through the wiring?
They are BRAND NEW BMW equipment sensors.

Quote:
Can the computer receive those signals through the wiring connections?
The Computer shows No sign of any sensors. Old or New. When data logging the speed remains at "too low"

Quote:
Sometimes its a physical issue, like a connection problem or corroded wiring...very simple...Does the wiring have continuity where it should and the right amount of resistance ?
Agreed, all connections are secure. No idea what the correct resistance should be. Information is NOT out there.

Quote:
Im afraid Im being a bit vague here, but I hate to see you rip the whole thing apart if its something else.
I have trouble believing that the bearings are bad...but you never know. Can these bearings be "demagnetized" by a security check scan by Homeland Security????

best of luck with it!

JP
WHO knows. lol

All I know is, the car went into the shop working fine, but with bad bearings. The wheels were about to fall off. NO JOKE.

Changed bearings, and now neither rear speed sensor works. Replaced both Speed Sensors. and NO change. Ive seen it talked about where bearings were just BAD. I have a set of OEM BMW, which are branded SKF, bearings sitting here, and replacements from the auto store to replace the ones we purchased. We Purchased TIMKEN, which were branded *** on the bearing. The replacements from the store are Beck/Arnley, and I havent gotten my eyes on them yet. So we will see.
      03-24-2014, 09:18 PM   #14
NorthernCAE90
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 BMW 325I

Quote:
Originally Posted by weareweird69 View Post
Put new rear wheel bearings in the car today. Everything went pretty good. Bearings in and out etc.

Put it back together and then took it for a spin. "4x4!" Shows up on the dash. And the DSC light. Back in the shop it goes. Threw a datalog on it and neither rear speed sensor is showing speed when on the rack and moving.

We put the correct bearings in with the speed sensor side on the inside. For the speed sensor to read off of.

I ordered two new speed sensors for the rear of the car.

I checked codes. And the only visible ones are for the transfer case. Its pissed because it thinks the cars moving. But the speed sensor says it isn't.

How common is it for the speed sensor to die? I did some research and found it to be common. But just wanted to ask around.
theres no fire......
      03-25-2014, 06:33 AM   #15
MineF10
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 F10 M5

bearings

Well, I just might the answer to it.
IF I'm correct you have put aftermarket bearings into your car... right !?
Your speed sensor actually measures the amount of balls in the housing, yes that is right. So.... if you have ans aftermarket bearing with a different design ( more or less balls ) the gap between sensor and the balls is different than your OE bearing, you will be SOL, and you will have to replace them both.
I have had that exact issue with my EVO X before ( I almost lost it too ).
Now pressing bearing in and out, removing all of the hardware as you did, gives me an indication that you know how to work on your car, by saying that you are mechanically inclined .... Therefore if you did NOT have the any warning lights coming before the fix up, and now you do.... it is a simple case beware of parts that are cheaper ( there is a reason )

Hope that helps
MineF10 is offline   Canada
      03-25-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
weareweird69
Private

That's kind of what I was thinking lol

Wife wouldn't let me light it
      03-26-2014, 09:58 AM   #17
Casca
Captain

Drives: E90 6MT

Your brake fluid is fine right? Doubtful that is the problem, but when I removed my rear sub-frame, my brake fluid level was very low and I did get lights for DSC and 4x4...I think. I remember thinking I had to check my speed sensor cable, but it was just because of low fluid levels.

Also, you can get a magnetic card to inspect the wheel bearing

http://www.amazon.com/ATE-Ate-760130...AFFN8JSXJ3EZBF

http://acura.snapon.com/HondaAcura/I...temId=50721345
      03-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #18
smallseafishie
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: AW 07 e92 335i + AW 11 X5 35d

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
I came into this thread expecting a car doused in fuel with a lighter in hand...
      03-26-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
BMWKLR
Private First Class

Drives: white 335 cp blk w/gray pop

Why new bearings?
      03-26-2014, 08:55 PM   #20
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

check this out!

JP
      03-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #21
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

this one too...did you get the circlip in the right orientation?

03-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #22
weareweird69
Private

Casca. The brake fluid is good.

Smallsrafishie. Sorry to disappoint you. Kind of strange you want to see other peoples cars on fire.

BMWKLR. The bearings were bad. Mechanically. Lots of play.

07lilredwagon

I'm going to check that stuff tomorrow. Been at work all week and away from the car.

The circlip doesn't matter since the abs sensor goes in the back side of the hub and not the front side where the circlip is.