E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Looking to buy 06 325xi, question

03-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #1
pinkertonpunk

Drives: '13 BMW 135is, '08 Honda S2000

Looking to buy 06 325xi, question

Hey everyone. In the market for a winter car/hauler to complement our 135is. I was provided service records from the current owner of the car I'm looking at (out of town unfortunately) and there is an invoice stating that the vehicle overheated, went right to the red. Shop found a faulty water pump and thermostat that was jammed open. This would be a red flag for me on a lot of cars but I don't know if this car actually overheated or if it was reading improperly. Can anyone shed some light on this possibly? I know the water pumps can be problematic on these cars...

Thanks in advance!
pinkertonpunk is online now   United_States
      03-26-2014, 10:40 AM   #2
BreathLess

Drives: 2008 Mini Cooper S

I would look at it as if the invoice indicates that the problem is fixed and if the water pump and thermostat has been changed. If so that's one less thing to worry about.

Also depends on how long ago this happened. If it was just a month ago then maybe it was a red flag for the owner and even they are trying to get rid of it before too late. If it was a year ago then at least you know the owner was happy with the fix and kept the car without any problems related to this.
BreathLess is offline   Canada
      03-26-2014, 10:44 AM   #3
hockeyplayer
Lieutenant

Drives: 2006 325i, 2006 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathLess View Post
I would look at it as if the invoice indicates that the problem is fixed and if the water pump and thermostat has been changed. If so that's one less thing to worry about.

Also depends on how long ago this happened. If it was just a month ago then maybe it was a red flag for the owner and even they are trying to get rid of it before too late. If it was a year ago then at least you know the owner was happy with the fix and kept the car without any problems related to this.
^^THIS

See if the invoice you mentioned has the mileage indicated when the repair was done & compare that with the current mileage of the vehicle.

current stable:
2006 325i, Sport Package
2006 325xi, Comfort Access, 6-speed MT
hockeyplayer is offline   United_States
      03-26-2014, 11:01 AM   #4
pinkertonpunk

Drives: '13 BMW 135is, '08 Honda S2000

It happened back in 2/10 with 66k miles on it. It has 111k on it now. So I assume it would be ok. This would be my first experience with an out of warranty BMW so I am a bit worried. Used to Japanese cars. The part number on the water pump was 11-51-7-586-925, is that an updated part or anything? Or did they never really fix the problem with them?

Thanks!
pinkertonpunk is online now   United_States
      03-26-2014, 08:26 PM   #5
07lilredwagon
Lieutenant

Drives: 07 328 wagon

The pumps do fail on these cars....If the car was driven at all after the light came on, the head may be warped...but, if the car has good compression and is not loosing coolant or oil, its probably okay....

have an independent mechanic give the car a thorough inspection including and compression test.

JP

PS: These cars are awesome...but check and or have the "lifetime fluids" changed/flushed, ect, give the brakes the once over, and anything else a 100,00 mile car might need....

whats the book value on the car/asking price?...right around 10,000 or so?
see if the dealer will throw in a few months warranty to sweeten the deal for your peace of mind...