E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 335i did dealership kill my car?

04-02-2014, 10:28 PM   #1
335ispooling
Banned
Rep
Drives: White e90

335i did dealership kill my car?

last week i was driving and hit a hole on the ground. after everything went to hell. the car starting misfiring and apparentely killed the battery. so i had it towed to bmw they replaced the hpfp and upgraded the software. i brought the car home and it kept shuttering shaking misfiring you name it . i replaced injectors coils plugs and battery. now it only starts on cold starts after its warmed up it just cranks for a couple seconds. but when it does manage to fire up it still shakes and rpms still go from 500-1k. i try to drive it but theres no throttle response? i really need help its driving me crazy i had just dynoed the car the day before so i had added 3 bottles of nos octane booster on 7 gallons of 91 octane what can this be?? would really appreciate any thoughts
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 12:55 AM   #2
Hidden
Let's roll...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moped

Wow. Yep that sux. I don't know that anyone is going to be able to diagnose what's going on without actually seeing the car. Did you tell the dealer that it was not fixed when you picked it up before replacing everything?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:14 AM   #3
firemanjust1
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3/03 350z

what are the codes you are getting ?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 01:18 AM   #4
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Curious too, that's crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by firemanjust1 View Post
what are the codes you are getting ?
      04-03-2014, 05:04 AM   #5
Efthreeoh
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: The E90 + Z4 Coupe & Z3 R'ster

Cracked intake manifold. Just a guess.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:13 AM   #6
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

So you replaced the injectors, coils, and battery yourself after getting the car back from the dealership? I'm just curious why you didn't bring it back to them...

I think I heard that new injectors have to be coded. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong. Did you code them? Are the electrical connections on your coil packs securely seated? What codes are you throwing? The battery needs to be registered too, but doubt that would cause this.

I also think 3 bottles of octane booster on 7 gallons seems like a ton to me. I don't know if it would damage anything, but don't know what the ecu would do with fuel like that.

I kinda think you're quick to blame the dealer when you did quite a lot to the car yourself...

Good luck and report back.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 06:20 AM   #7
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep

FYI... The NOS website says to use one bottle on 16 gallons of fuel.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:18 AM   #8
Wycy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

I feel like this reads like a troll post that went over everyone's heads. I think the communal reaction was supposed to be "holy balls you added 6 times the recommended amount of octane for that volume of gas but you're blaming the dealership??"

Unless I'm missing something. That's just how it reads to me.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:29 AM   #9
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

We would need the codes to be able to begin to help you. Good luck.
      04-03-2014, 07:38 AM   #10
335BOY
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wycy View Post
I feel like this reads like a troll post that went over everyone's heads. I think the communal reaction was supposed to be "holy balls you added 6 times the recommended amount of octane for that volume of gas but you're blaming the dealership??"

Me too. More octane is pointless unless tuned for it as well.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep

LOL you're probably right. It's a tough call though... troll or stupid 18yo with a high performance car?

I think when I was that age I probably would have thought that if 1 is good, 4 is better!

Quote:

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:02 AM   #12
DUI Elite
///M at Heart
Rep
Drives: 06 SGM E90, 15 BSM E84

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
These 2.

/Thread.

Find a way to empty the steroidal gasoline, and run normal (91) gasoline especially after BMW just did a software update (Not sure if you had a flash or other performance software, but its useless to run octane booster without a tune.) and try again.

| 3-IM | AA Headers | Eurocharged Stage-3 | BMW PI |
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:03 AM   #13
geko29
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335BOY View Post
That's putting it mildly. Not only is it pointless, it's counter-productive. Likely the reason his car is running like shit when it's warmed up is because the entire purpose of octane is to PREVENT combustion.

Simple math (realizing nothing is ever simple) would say that 3 bottles of octane boost on 7 gallons of 91 octane would result in 132 octane. Obviously the actual results are somewhat below that, but I'm sure it's well over 100. It requires very specific conditions to get fuel this stable to ignite.

At cold start-up, preignition is almost impossible anyway, so the ECU is probably throwing all sorts of timing into the combustion process just to get it to fire (and with only marginal success, at best). But once it warms a bit, all that extra timing has to be pulled back out because anything even closely approximating pump gas would begin to detonate.

Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 08:16 AM   #14
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I def think that it is the octane booster, i once put like 2 bottle in with my tank, i know retarded. But ran out of gas there was an auto zone by there lol.. It made the bike misfire, smoke like crazy i honestly thought i blew it up... But i got someone to bring me 2 gals of new gas and had to cycle the octane booster out... Dont over use the stuff or it will mess up till you get it all out of the system.
      04-03-2014, 08:38 AM   #15
turo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Yes

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [8.40]
2024 BMW M2  [9.00]
2018 BMW 340i XDrive  [10.00]
Maybe syphon out the fuel in your tank, and fill it up with fresh 91-93?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:20 AM   #16
335ispooling
Banned
Rep

yea I'm 18 so what ? I've been making payments ont the car for 2 years what difference does that make. yea I added 3 bottles for a dyno yes it wad stupid did I do my research first ? no I didnt . but I posted here for help so if you can't help and just post for nothing then you are the only one trolling. and no its not letting me read codes
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:39 AM   #17
Hidden
Let's roll...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Moped

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexItSpooling View Post
yea I'm 18 so what ? I've been making payments ont the car for 2 years what difference does that make. yea I added 3 bottles for a dyno yes it wad stupid did I do my research first ? no I didnt . but I posted here for help so if you can't help and just post for nothing then you are the only one trolling. and no its not letting me read codes
These cars are designed with a lot of sensors that register a variety of codes when the car is in trouble like this. If your car is running like this and throwing no visible codes then I would suggest taking it to a BMW dealer or a reputable Indy shop that knows BMWs and have this looked at immediately before this causes any harm to the car or yourself. If it is still not throwing any codes you have much bigger issues that the items replaced. Good luck and hope it all works out.

By the way how are you checking for codes?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 09:40 AM   #18
curiouz_g
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i, 04 M3 Vortech'd

Quote:
last week i was driving and hit a hole on the ground. after everything went to hell. the car starting misfiring and apparentely killed the battery. so i had it towed to bmw they replaced the hpfp and upgraded the software. i brought the car home and it kept shuttering shaking misfiring you name it . i replaced injectors coils plugs and battery. now it only starts on cold starts after its warmed up it just cranks for a couple seconds. but when it does manage to fire up it still shakes and rpms still go from 500-1k. i try to drive it but theres no throttle response? i really need help its driving me crazy i had just dynoed the car the day before so i had added 3 bottles of nos octane booster on 7 gallons of 91 octane what can this be?? would really appreciate any thoughts
Quote:
Welcome to the internet and life kid. You called yourself out on being a massive idiot and now you're asking for help on a forum while trying to justify that you're an adult since you've been paying for your car for 2 years and are responsible enough to own a car. Clearly you aren't. Want some advice? Try using the search engine.
      04-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #19
fravel
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue '06 330i

Quote:
So we've helped you, there's no need to get sassy with us for pointing out that you did something incredibly stupid. The dealership didn't kill your car, you did. Figure out a way to flush the fuel from your car and fill it back up with fresh gasoline and no octane booster, then hope for the best.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:29 AM   #20
Wycy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i xDrive

Quote:
Haha, okay, I apologize for defaulting to the assumption that you were trolling. The wording in the original post seemed almost intentionally structured to sound like a subtle troll. Consider taking the same post structure to a more extreme example, and you might see where I got that impression:

“Guys, did the dealership kill my car? Last week I took the car to BMW to get my tires rotated and now it won’t start! I really need help its driving me crazy because I just finished replacing all my engine oil with gasoline to make it more fuel injected. What can this be??”

Just poking fun. Hope you’re able to drain/flush the fuel and get it running well again.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 11:30 AM   #21
SHEEDI
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Efthreeoh View Post
Cracked intake manifold. Just a guess.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #22
335ispooling
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by curiouz_g View Post
Welcome to the internet and life kid. You called yourself out on being a massive idiot and now you're asking for help on a forum while trying to justify that you're an adult since you've been paying for your car for 2 years and are responsible enough to own a car. Clearly you aren't. Want some advice? Try using the search engine.
sorry man not an idiot and yes it does justify I work my add of for my car. and yea it was irresponsible doing that without first looking for consequences. advice yea that would help and I tried search engine it didnt help which is why I posted here. so I mean you haven't contributes at all so why keep responding??
all my question was did the octanbooster cause this? no need for showing your lack of masculinity so thanks for no help. instead of wasting tine and posts you could've said that you didn't know what it was or not post anything so the only one coming off as an idiot is you.

as for codes I'm using my laptop hooked up to the jb4 everytime I try it just say read failed
Appreciate 0