E90Post
 


ECS BMW
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > No ECU mods for e90 325i



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      11-25-2007, 05:54 PM   #1
E36E46E90
Vice Admiral
United_States
3
Rep
56
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Chicago, IL

iTrader: (0)

No ECU mods for e90 325i

There is JB/JB2, procede, and xede...but no ECU chips/mods for 325i?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 06:23 PM   #2
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
11
Rep
1,044
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Dinan will have one out soon. $599 not sure on hp gains yet.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 06:25 PM   #3
magmd
Major General
magmd's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
5,272
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E36E46E90 View Post
There is JB/JB2, procede, and xede...but no ECU chips/mods for 325i?
None worth the cost.
__________________
2006 330i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Step Auto | Navi with iDr | Sports Pkg |OEM Rear Spoiler | 3M CS35 Tint | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows | Advan RS Racing Hypersilver: 19x9 et22 19x10 et20
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 06:56 PM   #4
325 Baller
Colonel
325 Baller's Avatar
United_States
52
Rep
2,579
Posts

 
Drives: X3 28i
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Boca Raton, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to 325 Baller
theyll give 15-25hp at the crank at most, its not worth it on a NA car
__________________
----------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:30 PM   #5
EHbavarian
Captain
EHbavarian's Avatar
14
Rep
961
Posts

 
Drives: e90
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: HAMPTONS

iTrader: (0)

im waiting for that kind of chip for my 325i.. i feel so slow comparing to the 335.. im about to swap it lol...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:34 PM   #6
wj4
Major General
United_States
120
Rep
7,723
Posts

 
Drives: E90 manual 335i
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Burbank, CA

iTrader: (8)

Send a message via AIM to wj4
Quote:
Originally Posted by magmd View Post
None worth the cost.
+1. N/A cars don't respond well to ECU enhancement. It will help out a little, but you won't see gains like that of a F/I'd car.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:37 PM   #7
E(90)nthusiast
New Member
0
Rep
8
Posts

 
Drives: 328xi
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: United States of America

iTrader: (0)

I have a 328 and a chip would be welcome. I don't understand why it should only be a small gain in HP. Correct me if I am wrong but the 328 is a detuned 3.0 engine from the previous 330, so it should be at least 25 hp gain.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2007, 09:55 PM   #8
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinderฎ surprise
canucklion's Avatar
Canada
110
Rep
10,454
Posts

 
Drives: circles around you
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Toronto, Canada

iTrader: (9)

search the forum, and you'll see it's not as easy as it seems
Quote:
Originally Posted by E(90)nthusiast View Post
I have a 328 and a chip would be welcome. I don't understand why it should only be a small gain in HP. Correct me if I am wrong but the 328 is a detuned 3.0 engine from the previous 330, so it should be at least 25 hp gain.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:16 AM   #9
magmd
Major General
magmd's Avatar
United_States
70
Rep
5,272
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Torrance, CA

iTrader: (13)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by E(90)nthusiast View Post
I have a 328 and a chip would be welcome. I don't understand why it should only be a small gain in HP. Correct me if I am wrong but the 328 is a detuned 3.0 engine from the previous 330, so it should be at least 25 hp gain.
Yes you are correct..theoretically, you can access those 25hp with the correct tune. But that is at the crank...you will lose a good portion and at the wheels...it will be considerably less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
search the forum, and you'll see it's not as easy as it seems
+10000 ...if you search, there have been some out there in the past, but results were very far from exciting. I really doubt anything that goes into development at this point, could change this. ($$$$ for very little whp)
__________________
2006 330i | Black Sapphire Metallic | Step Auto | Navi with iDr | Sports Pkg |OEM Rear Spoiler | 3M CS35 Tint | H&R Sport Springs | Koni Yellows | Advan RS Racing Hypersilver: 19x9 et22 19x10 et20
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 01:14 AM   #10
ages944
Captain
ages944's Avatar
Poland
41
Rep
990
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago 'burbs

iTrader: (0)

While the 325i / 328i are never going to get to 330i power levels w/o a different intake manifold, there should be some ability for decent gains, esp for the 325i.

325i should easily get at least the 15hp gain to 328i hp levels, as ECU map is the only difference b/w those cars. However, I wonder how much more power can be had beyond that. Regardless, logic would dictate that both cars should have the same max power potential.

The way Dinan charges though, I agree with the others in that I am not sure it'll be totally worth it.
__________________
BMW : Sine qua non

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 06:09 AM   #11
nyc3r
Colonel
nyc3r's Avatar
United_States
33
Rep
2,589
Posts

 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: USA

iTrader: (24)

plus i hear that the remap will be overwritten by factory update when you bring it back to the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 06:15 AM   #12
karliejai
Da Kid
karliejai's Avatar
Hong Kong
55
Rep
4,577
Posts

 
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Livingston, NJ

iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to karliejai
its not gona be worth it...

maybe wait for a SC a couple years down the line or something
__________________


MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:16 PM   #13
BeMyWife330i
DIMA ZMEY
BeMyWife330i's Avatar
United_States
6
Rep
496
Posts

 
Drives: B5 S4 avant
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Chicago, Illinois

iTrader: (7)

^+1 just wait , give it time
__________________
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #14
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
Jaws's Avatar
Canada
21
Rep
1,736
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 325i mt
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ages944 View Post
While the 325i / 328i are never going to get to 330i power levels w/o a different intake manifold, there should be some ability for decent gains, esp for the 325i.

325i should easily get at least the 15hp gain to 328i hp levels, as ECU map is the only difference b/w those cars. However, I wonder how much more power can be had beyond that. Regardless, logic would dictate that both cars should have the same max power potential.

The way Dinan charges though, I agree with the others in that I am not sure it'll be totally worth it.
The 325 and 328 engines are different beasts (from a different thread)

The 328i engine is called N52KP. This is a reversion of the original N52 engine first found in the 2004 630i. This N52KP has several improvements such as changes in the cylinder heads, software, water pumps and engine electronics. Further information can be found by searching for "N52KP".

Just like the 325i's N52, the 328i still uses a single stage intake.

In fact, the N52KP (full version; three stage intake manifold/software) is found in many last year's 330i in Europe. They also provided a slight improvement in power output compared to the original N52.

Extract from a previous thread:
• New engine management (MSV80)
• New HFM (digital)
• New throttle - EGAS8 with magnetoresistive position feedback
• Plastic valve cover with integrated crankcase vent valve and oil separation
• Stronger connecting rods
• Exhaust valve stem increased to 6mm
• New electric water pump (2nd generation)
• Lightweight camshafts (hydroformed)

(courtesy of E90Fleet)
__________________
2006 325i - Sparkling Graphite
2000 S2000 - New Formula Red
2007 Chev Silverado crew cab Z71
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:02 PM   #15
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
134
Rep
11,038
Posts

 
Drives: 2006 BS 330i
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: S. Bay Area, CA + Newark, NJ + ChiCity + True Blue

iTrader: (11)

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
lol dont think SC will come out for n52
__________________
looking for a PreLCI Black Sapphire e90 front bumper without license plate holes

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #16
calle_enell
Car keeps stalling out...5 times now.
calle_enell's Avatar
2
Rep
248
Posts

 
Drives: E90 328i
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Hm, I am not sure that its going to be worth it. BMW has invested billion dollars in R&D... and rest assured that the 325 and 328 is optimized out of the door. That is optimal balance between reliability, emissions, gas milage and performance. (And again, a 328 in not simpy a 330 with diffrent chip, other hardware components differ aswell)

Turbo engines are a diffrent ballgame, its easy to squeez out plenty extra, but this often changes engine charachter, emissions, reliability etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:02 PM   #17
SV Concepts III
Lieutenant General
262
Rep
17,021
Posts

 
Drives: BMW Duh
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Santa Clara

iTrader: (13)

Send a message via AIM to SV Concepts III
One option to consider is our Speed Innovation ECU Tuning. This is a complete ECU retune, not just a piggy back kit, that modifies stock timing, torque maps and settings, throttle response, rev limiters and top speed limiters. You should expect about a 15HP/12TQ gain on the 325 engine with 91 octane gas.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 10:30 PM   #18
Seth_Horwitz
Tired of feather footed //M drivers
6
Rep
387
Posts

 
Drives: 330ci, 911 Turbo X50
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: New York City

iTrader: (0)

All piggybacks (or "chips") that you read about for the 335 engines have two things in common. 1) They increase compressed air flow (turbo boost) into the engine and 2) increase fuel, allowing a more powerful combustion. All of the other niceties are done with various electronics, and vary by tuner. Your car has no turbocharger so you can't increase the air, and can't see anywhere near the gains. (That stupid Tornado intake device that they sell on TV for $30 tries to do just that, but it is a joke.) You can change the electronics to dump as much fuel into the cylinders as you want, but that will just result in a "rich" situation where you wind up blowing more gas through your exhaust than gets burnt in the engine, if you don't flood it first, that is. As far as other normally aspirated engines getting gains from chips, even if an engine is a "detuned" version of an earlier incarnate, the odds are pretty good that there is more than just a software difference. (Restricted intake, headers, ... you name it.) I'm not sure that I've ever seen a chip for a normally aspirated car that was worth it, but that's just me. I'd expect less than 10hp if you did a chip, intake, and exhaust. (You could save some weight with the exhaust swap which would add "butt dyno" horsepower.) Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 12:15 AM   #19
ages944
Captain
ages944's Avatar
Poland
41
Rep
990
Posts

 
Drives: E90 325i
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Chicago 'burbs

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaws View Post
The 325 and 328 engines are different beasts (from a different thread)

The 328i engine is called N52KP. This is a reversion of the original N52 engine first found in the 2004 630i. This N52KP has several improvements such as changes in the cylinder heads, software, water pumps and engine electronics. Further information can be found by searching for "N52KP".

Just like the 325i's N52, the 328i still uses a single stage intake.

In fact, the N52KP (full version; three stage intake manifold/software) is found in many last year's 330i in Europe. They also provided a slight improvement in power output compared to the original N52.

Extract from a previous thread:
• New engine management (MSV80)
• New HFM (digital)
• New throttle - EGAS8 with magnetoresistive position feedback
• Plastic valve cover with integrated crankcase vent valve and oil separation
• Stronger connecting rods
• Exhaust valve stem increased to 6mm
• New electric water pump (2nd generation)
• Lightweight camshafts (hydroformed)

(courtesy of E90Fleet)
I stand corrected.

However, who'd be willing to bet that the majority of the power increase comes from the engine management?
__________________
BMW : Sine qua non

Mods: Blacklines | Rear Seat Power Outlets | Rear Fog Lights | Ashtray Garage Door Opener
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 02:14 AM   #20
Not Ur Avg 3
Lieutenant Colonel
Not Ur Avg 3's Avatar
United_States
20
Rep
1,869
Posts

 
Drives: 06' 325i
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Dallas, TX

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Not Ur Avg 3
just wait
im working on the '330 conversion'... same thing that TMS offfers, in their stage 3 i think.
its ss headers + 3stage intake manifold, and then remapped for those better conditions, cept im remapping mines as a 330 ecu instead...
still talkn to my shop, some company can maybe do it cheaper, or i just might have TMS just reflash my ecu for 330... i already have ss headers and im looking for a much cheaper way for that 3 stage intake manifold, then i think ill be set. ill be getting hopefully like a tuned 330's power (275-280 hp??? i wish) this is all still in the works... there is a sticky thread with like 54353534 pages about the conversion. one member did it, Finnvette, and had dyno, cept it was in his auto e91 325... but he said it workd, n i beleive him.
well have to wait n see, but i hope to do it in the near future, n show the world the remarkable discovery lol
__________________
Perfection In The Making...
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:43 PM   #21
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
11
Rep
1,044
Posts

 
Drives: 06 E90
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Sacramento, CA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Not Ur Avg 3 View Post
just wait
im working on the '330 conversion'... same thing that TMS offfers, in their stage 3 i think.
its ss headers + 3stage intake manifold, and then remapped for those better conditions, cept im remapping mines as a 330 ecu instead...
still talkn to my shop, some company can maybe do it cheaper, or i just might have TMS just reflash my ecu for 330... i already have ss headers and im looking for a much cheaper way for that 3 stage intake manifold, then i think ill be set. ill be getting hopefully like a tuned 330's power (275-280 hp??? i wish) this is all still in the works... there is a sticky thread with like 54353534 pages about the conversion. one member did it, Finnvette, and had dyno, cept it was in his auto e91 325... but he said it workd, n i beleive him.
well have to wait n see, but i hope to do it in the near future, n show the world the remarkable discovery lol
What website can I find the 330 conversion?
Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #22
Chesmu
Brigadier General
Chesmu's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
3,013
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 X6
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Phoenix,AZ

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to Chesmu
not worth the $$$.
enjoy the performance you have, adn go with other stuff like an intake, exhaust.
__________________
"Teach the ignorant. Ignore the stupid."
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:58 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST