E90Post
 


Extreme Power House
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Exterior detailing suggestions?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-26-2014, 08:50 AM   #1
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Exterior detailing suggestions?

Just got an Alpine white 335i coupe which I am thinking about detailing it myself cause it will look good, save money, and protect the paint(noticed some swirls). I've done some searching and heard good things about the porter cable 7424XP and Menzerna polishes that both come in a package at detailed image. I have also read about the griots having more power and being better for corrections, so I m wondering which one you guys would suggest or opinions you have in these or other products?
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2014, 04:42 PM   #2
mdintx
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I went with the Griots polisher. The general consensus on the Porter Cable is that it imparts quite a bit of vibration. I'm happy with the choice. The Menzerna products are excellent. I went with the Meguiars kit to keep it simple. You'll get good results either way.
mdintx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-26-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Thanks for the info, now I'm leaning more towards griots
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-29-2014, 10:32 AM   #4
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 4,448
iTrader: (0)

Hello,

It's all up to your preference. A lot of people have favorites. I would recommend getting a Porter Cable 7424xp. As for polishes and wax/sealants, find one that fits your budget. We carry a full line of products to detail your interior and exterior. All of our products are safe and extremely easy to use. We can always customize a kit for you to suit your needs. Here is an example of what our products can do to BMWs

2013 M3

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks!

-Elliott
Elliott@DetailAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2014, 07:59 AM   #5
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott@DetailAddict View Post
Hello,

It's all up to your preference. A lot of people have favorites. I would recommend getting a Porter Cable 7424xp. As for polishes and wax/sealants, find one that fits your budget. We carry a full line of products to detail your interior and exterior. All of our products are safe and extremely easy to use. We can always customize a kit for you to suit your needs. Here is an example of what our products can do to BMWs

2013 M3

Let me know if you have any questions! Thanks!

-Elliott
Well I already ordered the Griots, lifetime warranty helped. I do have a question on what polishes and pads I should use on alpine white with a black roof. The swirls are not as bad as that M3, but getting there. I am leaning more toward Mernzerna's polishes because I heard they are easy to use and remove, and also look good. But I am open to any suggestions from you on other products since that M3 looks really good
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2014, 08:42 AM   #6
mdintx
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
From one beginner to another, I would recommend keeping it simple. Here's what I would do if I had to start over. I would order this kit:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams...it-_p_939.html

With extra pads of each type. You'll need a pad cleaner as well.

I would recommend Menzerna Powerlock as a sealant. I prefer applying by hand than by machine. If you want to use the machine, there are pads specific to applying sealant.

You'll need a boat load of microfiber towels. I have ~15 and between compounding, polishing, and IPA wipedowns, I washed them 3 times.
mdintx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2014, 10:54 AM   #7
Elliott@DetailAddict
Brigadier General
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Santa Clara, CA

Posts: 4,448
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
Well I already ordered the Griots, lifetime warranty helped. I do have a question on what polishes and pads I should use on alpine white with a black roof. The swirls are not as bad as that M3, but getting there. I am leaning more toward Mernzerna's polishes because I heard they are easy to use and remove, and also look good. But I am open to any suggestions from you on other products since that M3 looks really good
Very nice! Menzerna will get you great results. It is an oil-based product which requires more working time. We carry water-based products. It doesn't require as much working time as oil-based ones. The results are great and very easy for first-timers.

Depending on the condition of your paint, I would recommend starting with a finishing polish to see what the results look like. Once you're comfortable using the polish and polisher, you can try a heavier polish.

Let me know if you have any other questions! Thanks!

-Elliott
Elliott@DetailAddict is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-30-2014, 04:17 PM   #8
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Thanks for the info guys!
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2014, 07:23 AM   #9
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdintx View Post
From one beginner to another, I would recommend keeping it simple. Here's what I would do if I had to start over. I would order this kit:

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Adams...it-_p_939.html

With extra pads of each type. You'll need a pad cleaner as well.

I would recommend Menzerna Powerlock as a sealant. I prefer applying by hand than by machine. If you want to use the machine, there are pads specific to applying sealant.

You'll need a boat load of microfiber towels. I have ~15 and between compounding, polishing, and IPA wipedowns, I washed them 3 times.
sorry couple of last minute questions, how do you apply the sealant by hand?
and what brand of microfiber towels do you use?are Walmart ones out of the question?
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2014, 08:17 AM   #10
mdintx
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 335i Sedan
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 130
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I use these towels

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...uys+microfiber

And to apply sealant, a regular yellow foam pad like this

http://www.detailing.com/store/foam-...plicators.html
mdintx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-03-2014, 10:27 AM   #11
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdintx View Post
I use these towels

http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...uys+microfiber

And to apply sealant, a regular yellow foam pad like this

http://www.detailing.com/store/foam-...plicators.html
Thanks!
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-15-2014, 01:59 PM   #12
CWysong
tuned n dropped 335xi
 
Drives: '09 335i Xdrive e90
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dayton, Ohio

Posts: 291
iTrader: (2)

I have the PC, and at speed 5+ (paint correction speeds) the vibration is kind of bad, but if you keep it firmly on the car it is not terrible. Lower speeds are no issues!

I have also used both the Menzernas IP2000 and all 4 griotts polishes, and I seem to like the griotts better but neither have had the effect I wanted them to. I think on my black paint, I might need to upgrade from the orage pad to something harder. From what "they" say, the griotts breaks down with lower heat temperatures, which is what you have when you use an orbital polisher, so less work in time. Someone menioned oil vs water based, maybe thats the reason but I'm not sure.
__________________
335xi - BMS DCI - JB4 Tune - KW v1 - next planned mod... catless DP's
CWysong is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-16-2014, 07:23 AM   #13
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Thanks for the Info, I haven't decided on polishes yet, just have the Griots 6" polisher microfiber towels and Mernzerna powerlock with orange and blue pads etc. what effect did you want, I'm asking cause my car is white but roof and side mirrors were painted black.
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
 
Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 2,202
iTrader: (3)

I use Flex 3401VRG, Menzerna Cut/Polish, and carnuaba on most cars.
OR meguiars m105/205 with orange and black pads. Finish with white pad, and menzerna carnuaba.
Eat.Sleep.Race is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-03-2014, 07:54 AM   #15
Rob13567
Private First Class
 
Rob13567's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i xdrive alpine white
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Georgia

Posts: 128
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I use Flex 3401VRG, Menzerna Cut/Polish, and carnuaba on most cars.
OR meguiars m105/205 with orange and black pads. Finish with white pad, and menzerna carnuaba.
thanks for the info, but why did you use carnuaba over power lock?
Rob13567 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-04-2014, 08:20 PM   #16
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
 
Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 2,202
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob13567 View Post
thanks for the info, but why did you use carnuaba over power lock?
I use it because I wax on a monthly basis It's called "Color Lock Carnauba", and its super easy to apply/remove. I will give the power lock a try though!
Eat.Sleep.Race is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
alpine white, griots garage, menzerna, pc 7424xp

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:34 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST