Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Powercoating Wheels?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

11-26-2007, 01:16 PM   #1
L~R~G nor cal
Perfection Is In The Details
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E90

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Powercoating Wheels?

Have any of u guys powercoated wheels for you car?
Here is the thing, I am buying a set of Beyern Mesh style wheels. My car is the Sparkling Graphite Metallic and I was thinking about getting the wheels powercoated the same color of the car. Not the lip just the spokes.
So if any of u guys have powercoated your wheels, how much will I be looking to spend per wheel if I get them done at a shop? Also im kind of worried about the paint chipping off after extened use, so if its done right will I have to worrie about that?

Thanks in advance!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 03:10 PM   #2
brandon @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

its about $70 per wheel, however im not sure if they can just do the spokes without re-polishing the lip
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 07:27 PM   #3
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
What do u mean bro? You just tape up all the parts of the wheels you dont want painted.
Am I missing something?
Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2007, 08:20 PM   #4
Bama335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 E82 135is '13 E88 135

yes, you can mask the areas you don't want coated. As powder is significantly thicker than paint (3+mils), the edge along a mask will need feathered to blend in with some fine grit sandpaper, otherwise, you'll have step down to the bare surface. The electro-static process should get good coverage on the sides of the spokes.

One last note: be sure your shop uses a UV stabilized powder - many powder paints aren't designed for long term exposure to the sun (appliances, lawn mower decks, etc)
      11-26-2007, 08:56 PM   #5
L~R~G nor cal
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama335 View Post
yes, you can mask the areas you don't want coated. As powder is significantly thicker than paint (3+mils), the edge along a mask will need feathered to blend in with some fine grit sandpaper, otherwise, you'll have step down to the bare surface. The electro-static process should get good coverage on the sides of the spokes.

One last note: be sure your shop uses a UV stabilized powder - many powder paints aren't designed for long term exposure to the sun (appliances, lawn mower decks, etc)
Ok guys, here is the thing. I had a broken ankel and was on vicoden and hit the side of my house. It wasnt that big of a deal, nothing was damaged that bad. So im just going to buy a new mtech bumper. My dads friend runs our local land rover dealership and I asked him what to do when you need just little spots painted. He said find a place thats painting a car with the same color of yours and it will be alot cheaper because they always have left over paint in the gun.
So im buying a new mtech bumper, rear oem spoiler lip, 20" wheels, and the grills in the front (the kidney grills and the two little ones on the hood). When I get the bumper painted im just going to have them paint the rest of the stuff becuase I think it will be alot cheaper due to already having the paint mixed up. Im sure they will charge me for painting the other stuff, but just not as much.

Sooo will the same paint for my car be good on the wheels?
Also do u guys think that I should go black with the wheels, or just keep it the same color of my car. I think by keeping the colors all the same it will look clean and flow nicely and not many people have it. I have seen the guys on unique auto do it on lambo's ect and I like the look.

Thanks sooo much for all the info! When I get my car back from Dinan I will get all the stuff painted and put on the car and I will post pics!
Appreciate 0