E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Replaced Transfer Case Actuator today, 08 328xi e92 - (pics)

05-01-2014, 07:25 PM   #1
Vacek
Captain
Canada

Drives: 08 328xi E92 & 09 X3

Replaced Transfer Case Actuator today, 08 328xi e92 - (pics)

After a bout with my car throwing lights like a Christmas tree, an ugly grinding noise and much investigation .. I today finally had my Transfer Case Actuator replaced. I had a local transmission shop do it, as I'm out of warranty and BMW wanted a scandalous amount.

Immediately following, No more lights (and without a reset), no more grinding and the car works like new. I took the opportunity to replace the transfer case fluid at the same time.

Took me a while to diagnose it (and thanks to "BMWhat"). I had the car away for the winter, so just got to resolving this today. It started acting up last fall.

It is easy to see how mangled the gear inside the actuator can get ... I'm amazed after only 82,000kms...

Let me know if I can answer any questions.

V
08' E92 328xi: Jet Black|Saddle|Custom Window Trim|Custom Powder'd 197's|MT|Logic 7|Carbon Fiber Roundels|Clear Reflectors|M3 Spoiler|Pilot Sport PS2's Non RFT's|GP Thunder 8500k Angel Eyes/Fogs|USB Adapter|Black Carbon Fiber Trim|Black on Black Carbon Fiber Pedals|K&N Filter|Carbon Filter Delete|MFD Scoops|Sunglass Tray Mod|Rear Fog Mod|Riss Racing CDV Valve|
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
Dylanize
Captain Dutch Rudder

Drives: 07' E92

Damn!

| Platinum Bronze Metallic | AA | VMR | ACS | DJApex Eurobox |
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2014, 05:27 PM   #3
freon480
12:34

Drives: 06 E90 325xi

i still have mine saved in the hopes that someone ends up making new gears for these one day. i can dream cant i.... pretty easy swap an hour at best and again you are reminded of how great these cars handle.
      05-02-2014, 08:24 PM   #4
SDemetris
FSAE Dude

Drives: E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by freon480 View Post
i still have mine saved in the hopes that someone ends up making new gears for these one day. i can dream cant i.... pretty easy swap an hour at best and again you are reminded of how great these cars handle.
honestly, looking at the pictures in this thread, it looks doable... Maybe take it to a mechanical engineering consultant that does manufacturing. They look like they can just be whipped out on a water jet. I know a place near philly (not vac actually) that could make those from you in no time practically

1985 Gazelle Beige 325e: Nursing it back to health from PO negligence.. Soon to be track car.
Appreciate 0