E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW AWD sytems are not performance oriented?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-01-2007, 02:46 AM   #1
beeemer
0
New Member
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

BMW AWD sytems are not performance oriented?

I keep hearing that the AWD systems of BMW's are not performance oriented the way Evos and STi's are. Does anyone know what the Nurburgring times are for the 335i vs the 335xi?
I live in SoCal where it hardly rains and never snows but I love the capabilities of good AWD cars on the track. Being able to get on the gas early in each turn is so much more fun to me.
A car like the Evo has 3 LSD's and BMW (non M) has 0? What is up with that? I am having a very hard time choosing between the 135i/335i and the Evo X. Looks do not matter to me because I think both are pretty ugly. I just want a car that will do well at the track and still get me through my 2 mile daily commute.
beeemer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 10:50 AM   #2
E nine T
2
Second Lieutenant
 
E nine T's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 231
iTrader: (0)

Every part of BMW drivetrain engineering is meant for performance, otherwise I wouldn't have paid so much for a car. The XI is awesome, infact, you can get faster launch times than that of a rear wheel car because it gains traction faster. XI is great and transfers power to wheels as needed. Although it is not as good as quattro, I believe it is better than that of asian brands and Benz.

Watch the vid on X Drive: http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/in...responsiveness
E nine T is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 10:54 AM   #3
Amir87
28
Gruppe Titan
 
Amir87's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E92 SG/Coral
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC

Posts: 2,839
iTrader: (37)

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [5.00]
Seems like you should get the evo.
Amir87 is offline   Pakistan
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 11:07 AM   #4
purplewidow
19
Lieutenant Colonel
 
purplewidow's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Chicago

Posts: 1,928
iTrader: (2)

ohh god i HATE AWD....sure for rally it is awesome...but a rwd car is so much more fun on the track...you want an lsd buy a quaife....the bmw is leaps and bounds better in looks on the outside...esp on the inside where the plastic is just too overwhelming in the evo....nevertheless...the evo is insane...a great achievement every generation for mitsubishi.... it is more of a race inspired car than the 335...esp with 3 lsds and all the yaw control and stability control features it has...doesn't it have like 3-4 systems? but that said you will have no luxuery..no nice leather...it won't be nearly as comfortable as the bmw...but it will cost 10k less optioned out...sounds like you want the evo....also sounds like the 335 ight be out of the $$ range...my buddy is an sti nut...he would take my 335 over his sti anyday anytime....he loves my 335 same with my buddy who has an evo MR but bro they are totally diff cars...your looking at a rally 4banger rocket with possibly the best AWD system availiable..and a euro luxury sports coupe'...they are totally different beasts....i am not a fan of AWD but i have a lot of respect for the new systems the new sti and evo are using...but such a waste in gas unless you are in a mountainous area with snow...or offroad rallying.... rwd is just so much more fun on a track!!!!!!! goodluck either way you'll be happy...get the evo then in a couple years when your sick of it get a bmw
________
marijuana vaporizers
________
CALIFORNIA DISPENSARY

Last edited by purplewidow; 09-11-2011 at 05:38 AM.
purplewidow is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 12:46 PM   #5
halB
23
Colonel
 
halB's Avatar
 
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Just north of Toronto

Posts: 2,384
iTrader: (0)

All the X-Drive ads I've seen so far talk about "getting there" in bad weather. Non Xi ads talk about driving the car. Does that tell you something?

Have you seen an M3 Xi, M5 Xi or Z4 Xi yet??

(BTW - I own and drive both types so I think I am allow to make such comment.)
__________________
07 E93 335i - Returned at lease end
09 W211 E350 4Matic Avant Garde - Blk/Blk, AMG pkg w/18". Sport Susp. F1 Asym. Debadged.
09 MkV GTI w/Leather & 18" Huffs. F1 Asym

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
halB is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 12:56 PM   #6
BKsBimmer
16
Lieutenant Colonel
 
BKsBimmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 330xi Titanium Silver
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: USA / Silver Spring, Maryland

Posts: 1,638
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330xi  [5.00]
2006 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
Have you seen an M3 Xi, M5 Xi or Z4 Xi yet??
The operative word is YET
__________________
_____________________________________
330xi/TiAg/Black/Alum/6sp/ZPP/ZSP/Nav/CA/CW/PDC/Sirius Satellite Radio/OEM Spoiler/Blacklines/19" Axis Hiro Hyper Silver/Toyo Proxes 4 Ultra High Performance all season F 235/35/19 R 265/30/19/10mm spacers F/15mm spacers R/M3 front bumber/M-tech rear bumper
BKsBimmer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-01-2007, 04:03 PM   #7
beeemer
0
New Member
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Does anyone have comparison times of a 335i and a 335xi on the same track? Preferably during the same weather conditions. Price is not really the main factor because they are not that far off. The only option I would get on the 335i sedan would be the sport pkg. I would also have to drive the 135i when it comes out.
beeemer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2007, 01:53 PM   #8
bimmin
1
Vagina Mold
 
Drives: Fuck You
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Anus

Posts: 143
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by halB View Post
All the X-Drive ads I've seen so far talk about "getting there" in bad weather. Non Xi ads talk about driving the car. Does that tell you something?

Have you seen an M3 Xi, M5 Xi or Z4 Xi yet??

(BTW - I own and drive both types so I think I am allow to make such comment.)
I have also owned both i and xi. I like the feel of i much better.


As for the post, bmw AWD system is more performance oriented than many other offerings. They allow more slippage and trust the driver.
bimmin is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #9
aspiring335
14
Major
 
aspiring335's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E91 6MT
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Toronto, Canada

Posts: 1,448
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemer View Post
I keep hearing that the AWD systems of BMW's are not performance oriented the way Evos and STi's are. Does anyone know what the Nurburgring times are for the 335i vs the 335xi?
I live in SoCal where it hardly rains and never snows but I love the capabilities of good AWD cars on the track. Being able to get on the gas early in each turn is so much more fun to me.
A car like the Evo has 3 LSD's and BMW (non M) has 0? What is up with that? I am having a very hard time choosing between the 135i/335i and the Evo X. Looks do not matter to me because I think both are pretty ugly. I just want a car that will do well at the track and still get me through my 2 mile daily commute.
If you're buying a car primarily for how it drives on the track then get a Lotus Elise. At a pinch you can drive it every day and it will simply annihilate most other vehicles, including ones that have far more power. Not sure why you think AWD is such a virtue on the track; light weight and agility are far more important.
__________________
2010 E91 328i xdrive. 6MT, Sports, Premium Sound, Navigation

2010 VW Touareg TDI, 2006 E90 330i, 2004 E46 325iT, 2003 MINI Cooper S (Retired)
aspiring335 is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2007, 10:40 PM   #10
montreal red
121
chris
 
montreal red's Avatar
 
Drives: White Boat
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Toronto

Posts: 12,127
iTrader: (31)

Send a message via MSN to montreal red
i have an xi... and i think if you want a track machine, go for an i... the main reason i have an xi is because i need to deal with the harsh winters here in montreal.
__________________

Current: 2013 F10 M5 & 2013 GLK350
997.1 GT3RS (gone)
2009 WRX STI (gone)
e92 M3 (gone)
montreal red is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-02-2007, 11:09 PM   #11
halB
23
Colonel
 
halB's Avatar
 
Drives: W211 E350 4M MkV GTI 987.2 S
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Just north of Toronto

Posts: 2,384
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmin View Post
I have also owned both i and xi. I like the feel of i much better.


As for the post, bmw AWD system is more performance oriented than many other offerings. They allow more slippage and trust the driver.

I agree with you. I had an Audi A6 Quattro before the 530Xi and 335i cab. The Audi hardly allow any slip at all and is more assuring in slippery road conditions. The Xi allows some slip but catches on and corrects it pretty quickly, and the handling is sportier than the Audi. The one with the sportiest handling is the i.
__________________
07 E93 335i - Returned at lease end
09 W211 E350 4Matic Avant Garde - Blk/Blk, AMG pkg w/18". Sport Susp. F1 Asym. Debadged.
09 MkV GTI w/Leather & 18" Huffs. F1 Asym

10 987.2 S w/Leather sport seat, Sport Chrono, 19" Carrera S II wheels
halB is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 01:04 AM   #12
mjovic
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL

Posts: 457
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
the bmw is leaps and bounds better in looks on the outside...esp on the inside where the plastic is just too overwhelming in the evo
Yeah, you're right, I could never live with this interior.

mjovic is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 01:23 AM   #13
beeemer
0
New Member
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjovic View Post
Yeah, you're right, I could never live with this interior.

But these seats are awesome. Much more bolstering than even the sport pkg BMW seats. Other than that, the BMW interior is way better.
beeemer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 10:09 AM   #14
Arustik1
28
HYEPWR
 
Arustik1's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 2,863
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amir87 View Post
Seems like you should get the evo.
lol
__________________
04 E46 ///M3 | OEM SSK | TCK | Enkei NT-03 | Star Spec - 275 |
Arustik1 is offline   Armenia
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 10:20 AM   #15
EDK99
9
Captain
 
Drives: 07 E85 M
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: FL

Posts: 935
iTrader: (0)

Sounds to me you should look at a Z4M Coupe if you want a good track car.
__________________
2007 e85
Imola Red | Black Leather | Carbon Leather Trim | Premium | Navigation | Heated Seats
EDK99 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 02:17 PM   #16
bulldog52
0
New Member
 
Drives: 08 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Boston

Posts: 27
iTrader: (0)

This is easy. If you live where it almost never rains or snows get the 335i coupe and not the 335xi. What you gain in AWD traction is more than taken away by not having the sport suspension. I have the 335xi and was happy to have it driving in snow this morning but the car is a compromise. It is not the best of both worlds. I would like very much to hear from someone who has driven both cars side by side on a demanding road or track but I am fairly certain of what they would say.
bulldog52 is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 04:43 PM   #17
mjovic
4
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Bolingbrook, IL

Posts: 457
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by beeemer View Post
Other than that, the BMW interior is way better.
In what way?

BUSY GROCERY-GETTING BMW INTERIOR:


CLEAN PERFORMANCE-ORIENTED MITSU INTERIOR:
mjovic is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 05:24 PM   #18
Crimson92
286
Smiling Politely
 
Crimson92's Avatar
 
Drives: Like a boss
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Whales Vagina

Posts: 28,643
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by E nine T View Post
Every part of BMW drivetrain engineering is meant for performance, otherwise I wouldn't have paid so much for a car. The XI is awesome, infact, you can get faster launch times than that of a rear wheel car because it gains traction faster. XI is great and transfers power to wheels as needed. Although it is not as good as quattro, I believe it is better than that of asian brands and Benz.

Watch the vid on X Drive: http://www.bmwusa.com/uniquelybmw/in...responsiveness

You sir are unbeleiveably mis-informed an evo ix awd system puts the xi system to shame, it terms of performance. And you are going to tell me that xi is better than a subaru's, a company whos whole existence is basically awd, a company whose entire lineup consists of awd. Read a book and learn something my friend.
__________________
Quote:
Some people are like slinkies...not really good for much but you can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs"
Crimson92 is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-03-2007, 11:12 PM   #19
beeemer
0
New Member
 
Drives: none
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: socal

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson92 View Post
You sir are unbeleiveably mis-informed an evo ix awd system puts the xi system to shame, it terms of performance. And you are going to tell me that xi is better than a subaru's, a company whos whole existence is basically awd, a company whose entire lineup consists of awd. Read a book and learn something my friend.
It looks like BMW's system applies brakes to the wheel that is losing traction. That could never be a good thing on the track. I would much prefer LSD's to split the amount of torque to each side.
beeemer is offline  
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-04-2007, 02:58 AM   #20
spacedogg
28
Colonel
 
spacedogg's Avatar
 
Drives: Debadged
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC

Posts: 2,819
iTrader: (0)

Yeah...from what I understand...BMW X-drive must first detect wheel slippage before it transfers power...a "superior" AWD system (like Quattro) detects torque and then transfers power. Because these systems rely on torque rather than slippage, they react faster than a BMW X-drive.

BMW X-drive is great for what it does...but I suspect as a track day car...better to take the slightly lighter 335i and get a LSD made for it...
spacedogg is offline   Canada
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-05-2007, 02:01 PM   #21
matthewk
1
Private First Class
 
matthewk's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: TX

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spacedogg View Post
Yeah...from what I understand...BMW X-drive must first detect wheel slippage before it transfers power...a "superior" AWD system (like Quattro) detects torque and then transfers power. Because these systems rely on torque rather than slippage, they react faster than a BMW X-drive.

BMW X-drive is great for what it does...but I suspect as a track day car...better to take the slightly lighter 335i and get a LSD made for it...
Incorrect.. Only the middle diff of the quattro is torsen.. The front and rear are open diffs and require audi's "EDL" to lock up the wheel that is slipping. Very much like the X-Drive.

An ideal system would use Haldex in all 3 locations and computer control it. You would have 100% control of where the power goes. The computer could send all of the power to a single wheel if the programming so needed to. If I recall Volvo planned on doing something like this with the s60r PCC concept.

There are limits of LSD, which I think Haldex is on the way to solving.
matthewk is offline   United_States
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2007, 02:01 AM   #22
seven_227
5
Lieutenant
 
seven_227's Avatar
 
Drives: AW e92 335i
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Dubai

Posts: 590
iTrader: (0)

Those whoe think that Audi's Quattro is superior, have you ever tracked your Quattros??? Audi's quattro is known for its understeer specially in tracking conditions, but it's fixed with the new R8 ,which transfers more power to the front wheels only after the back is loose, unlike the older version when the cars didnt allow oversteer.

EDIT: Lets put it this way, EVO X AWD system > BMW Xdrive > Audi Quattro .
__________________
seven_227 is offline   United Arab Emirates
Appreciate 0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:09 PM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST