E90Post

GT Haus

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > bsw speaker ohms data

05-10-2014, 03:23 AM   #1
coloradoe92m3
Banned

Drives: m3

bsw speaker ohms data

I bought set of bsw speakers for my M3 Dirac and they are amazing. Stock speakers simply were wayyy too high frequency piercing. I don't even think they are nearly as good quality as OEM Eton kevlar drivers with neodyme magnets BUT they fit this system wayyy better as it flattens all sounds out so highs don't outpace bass and kill ears. Its a shame they didn't do a better job utilizing the OEM speakers as they are way lighter and a work of art vs NSW is old tech magnets, heavy and basic fibreglass. Does the job well though.

Anyway in my search I talked to bSW and was told the speakers are all 3.1 ohms. They assured me our stock amp can handle it and think its why the sound probably sounds best in Dirac as not only do you start out with 75w per speaker but these drop ohms from 4 to 3 and thus get more power and quieter levels. This helps a lot because this keeps you from having to turn volume up as much to get the same loudness of sound but importantly the less you turn up the volume the less you are driving the woofers which distorted before but now they play at less power but way clearer yet I can get overall volume due to lower ohm speakers.
.now if you had logic 7 Id expect the opposite as your increasing resistance and need to turn volume higher for same loudness as OEM. Either way 1 ohm probably doesn't really matter but enough to tell a difference