Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Slow puncture - help please!

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

12-01-2007, 11:02 AM   #1
Gripster
Captain

Drives: F10 535 M-Sport

Garage List
Slow puncture - help please!

TPM keeps telling me I've got a flat. First time a month ago, second time a week ago, and again last night.

1) Is it advisable to repair RFTs?

2) Best to get dealer or any tire shop to do this?

I don't have Wheel and Tire warranty, so I have to do this out of pocket and I'd like to be cheap. Car is my wife's and we still get along, so safety first please!
      12-01-2007, 11:17 AM   #2
Grumpa72
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripster View Post
TPM keeps telling me I've got a flat. First time a month ago, second time a week ago, and again last night.

1) Is it advisable to repair RFTs?

Yes! No! Yes according to some folks and dealers provided the sidewall is not the issue (obviously not a problem in your case) or you haven't compromised the sidewall by driving on a flat tire. No, according the owner's manual. My vote is for the first repsonse, provided that the shop pulls the tire off of the rim, does a visual inspection of the interior and patches the leak with an internal patch and a plug

2) Best to get dealer or any tire shop to do this?
I have read some posts here where dealers AND tire shops won't touch a RFT with a leak. Others will.

I don't have Wheel and Tire warranty, so I have to do this out of pocket and I'd like to be cheap. Car is my wife's and we still get along, so safety first please!
If you check the archives, one of the first responses will be that folks will ask if you have checked your tire pressure yet. Have you? What is it telling you? Have you pulled the tire and visually inspected it? You have been driving with a tire pressure warning for more than a month and haven't done anything about it?
      12-01-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
Gripster
Captain

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpa72 View Post
If you check the archives, one of the first responses will be that folks will ask if you have checked your tire pressure yet. Have you? What is it telling you? Have you pulled the tire and visually inspected it? You have been driving with a tire pressure warning for more than a month and haven't done anything about it?
Sorry if my message was unclear, but also don't assume that I am a total idiot and ride around ignoring FTM alerts. Of course I checked the pressures. Isn't that what FTM is for? I didn't think I'd have to spell that out in a technical forum, but I guess there are a lot of idiots out there who would happily ignore FTM alerts...

Anyway.... first time the FTM alarm went off was about a month ago. I checked the pressures and they were low esp. the front left. I topped off the levels and all was fine until last week.

Last week the FTM went off again, but only the front left was low. I topped it off up to 32psi and it was fine for a week until yesterday. My diagnosis is a slow puncture in the front left tire. There are no visible signs of damage to the tire (sidewalls etc.)

My question is really whether should I attempt to the the RFT fixed or should I just replace it? Searches suggest they can be fixed, but I wonder if that's a good idea for RFT's.

Last edited by Gripster; 12-03-2007 at 06:24 AM.
Gripster is offline   United_States
      12-03-2007, 01:48 AM   #4
juanccgg
Private

Drives: 325i

I had three punctures on my run flats and two of them have been repaired. I had it done at Americas/Discount Tire (www.americastire.com). They seem to be familiar with run flats and had no problem repairing them. On my third puncture it was on the side of the tire and that one had to be replaced. Also the tire repair is free.
      12-03-2007, 02:23 AM   #5
Shazmonkee

Drives: BMW E92

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to Shazmonkee
I actually have that right now. I had a nail punctured on my front right tire recently, and I thought i patched it pretty well for that.. But then after several weeks, when enough pressure is lost, the error message comes up. I just put in air again and it doesn't come on for several weeks. Slow leak for sure, so I guess i'll check that website out. Thanks Gripster for posting this thread up! B)
Shazmonkee is offline   United_States
      12-08-2007, 09:46 PM   #6
Gripster
Captain

Garage List
Well, it turned out to be a sidewall bubble. I just didn't see it. Needed to be replaced.

Guy at the tire shop told me that they fix RFTs all the time though....
      12-09-2007, 09:13 PM   #7
ganderson
Registered

Drives: 2008 328i SG Sedan

I had a screw puncure on my run flats a couple of days ago. Dealer found the screw but wouldn't repair. I refused to shell out for a new tire on a car that's only two months old so I called around and found a place that repairs run flats. Cost $31 and took care of it no problem. I think most places just don't want to deal with any potential liability from fixing a tire where the sidewalls have been damaged so they just don't fix any.