E90Post
 


Bimmer Retrofit
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Honda S2000 vs. M6



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-07-2007, 12:38 AM   #45
ik999
Lieutenant
 
ik999's Avatar
 
Drives: monacoblau e90 335i
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: markham, ontario

Posts: 499
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
you are entitled to your opinion but a great deal of what you said is simply not true. i'll address point by point...
1. the pricetag, retail price on the car is $34,600. not "over" $35,000. and at that, they can be had at any dealership for invoice all day long which is only $29,900. seconds, the car has 240 or 237 HP depending on model years. and when considering the weight, the power to weight ratio is actually better than that of a 335i. 11.6 lbs./hp for the S2000 and 12lbs./hp for the 335i. furthermore, regarding torque, look at any M car, the torque on those is an absolute joke compared to their HP/L. and at that, MOST track cars have far more HP than torque because torque is good for exiting turns, but too much torque at corner entry or through the apex diminishes stability. obviously, you have never driven one as an everyday driver based on your completely incorrect assumption that it would be hell... 80% of it's torque is available at 4000 RPM's which is very good for an engine of that redline/Compression ration.
2. maybe, maybe not, the fact of the matter is that the S2000 is the second most rigid convertible ever produced, next to a 996 Turbo S Vert, which actually has MORE torsional rigidity than the coupe version due to it's many body reinforcements and braces. if you knew about chassis design, you would see that the S2000 is the best designed roofless chassis ever, simply because it doesn't rely on any braces of cross members for its rigidity, the chassis is designed AS a convertible, it is not like convertible variants of coupes where they have to compensate for the lack of the roof, therefore your argument is moot.

3. you have obviously never REALLY driven an S2000....the thing absolutely hauls ass above 80MPH and it reaches 161MPH FAR faster than my buddies SC 330. the car is a purely high revving screaming at high RPM's and is hard to keep up with for many cars much more expensive. this car literally defies the top end displacement argument, how? i do not know. and you obviously have never driven one of a track because the only thing that BMW even currently makes that is at all remotely comparable in handling is the M Coupe.
this was a great response.
ik999 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 03:39 AM   #46
wyatth
Private First Class
 
Drives: E46 M3 Dinan S3
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: SF & Seattle

Posts: 184
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
If you had the same drivers no way in hell could the S2000 have caught up the M6. Maybe caught up from 20 car lengths to 18.
Okay... 20 to 18 is still catching up. Make the track longer and it'll get to 0 eventually (assuming the track is consistent).
S2000 will take the M in the curves but it gets STOMPED on in the straits. What'd you expect?
wyatth is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 09:51 AM   #47
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by K3N R3D View Post
To make comments like what you said its obvious you have never driven an S2000.

Ignorance is bliss.
it has nothing to do with having driven an S2000... first off i never claimed that i did. it's my opinion, nothing more than personal taste... i gave the car credit on the parts i like about it, but explained why i personally wouldn't have one. so that makes me ignorant?

to respond to imola...

1) okay, you got me on the price. i'm not sure why but i thought the S2000 is a very low volume seller, so i thought that dealers would mark them up over the 34k pricetag. i thought it would end up in high 30's with options and dealer markup. i had no idea that you could get one for 29k. that makes the car a great deal actually.

2) in my previous post i stated that the chassis was great. however, convertibles just aren't my thing. i live in the northeast, where it gets cold half the year. maybe if i lived in Florida or Cali a car like this would make more sense. also, let me restate that yes, the chassis is amazingly fun. especially for a convertible. but how much better would it be as a coupe? no one really knows. you have a point about the S2000 being designed as a convertible and not a coupe. but, i honestly don't see how not having a roof is gonna help the car feel more stable. that's not to say that the S2000 isn't stable. all i'm saying is that if Honda designed the car as a coupe, maybe it would be even better?

3) again, the power issue just a matter of personal preference. i flat out love torque monsters. i'm a conservative driver, and i dislike having to downshift constantly. for some people, that's their thing. not me.

yes, this type of car is faster/funner on the track (see high revving bmw M models like you said), but as a daily driver, i just don't want to have to downshift to get in the powerband. i want to stay in 5th gear at 2000 rpm, push the pedal, and have the torque take over. i dont want to have to downshift to 3rd or 4th to get to 4000rpm just to have some reasonable power. this is why, for me, a car like the 135i would make more sense.

however, feel free to call me "ignorant" for having my own opinions and tastes on cars. i appreciate that. thanks. (not you imola)

PS. you're right about BMW"s handling. it has gone down the shitter ever since they decided to implement electric steering on just about every single model.

Last edited by herbz; 12-07-2007 at 10:13 AM.
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 05:07 PM   #48
imolazhp_ci
Major
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orange county

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

see now that's all understandable, everything you just said is reasonable based on your personal feelings. it just seemed that previously you were blaming the car for things it lacked that were simply individually preferential.
imolazhp_ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 06:05 PM   #49
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,209
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
it has nothing to do with having driven an S2000... first off i never claimed that i did. it's my opinion, nothing more than personal taste... i gave the car credit on the parts i like about it, but explained why i personally wouldn't have one. so that makes me ignorant?
Yes it does make you ignorant and its based upon your opinion or the things you said. I wasn't trying to insult you. Ignorant doesn't mean stupid, I would not say that about you as I don't know you and I'm sure you're a very smart person.

Ignorant: "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact"

You are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is you never drove an S2000 so I was pointing out to you that your opinion shows your ignorance about this particular car.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 08:59 PM   #50
djdorifto
Looking for that special M Coupe
 
djdorifto's Avatar
 
Drives: Honda S2000
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Orlando, Fl (ex-southern californian)

Posts: 62
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to djdorifto
I've driven my car on the track... And it all depends on the track layout...Last track day I was at it was private for our car club... FD's, 700hp Viper, SC Mustang, 7 S2000's, the works...

The track was a balance of handling and power... At the end of the day first place time was a 240sx(57sec), FD 58(sec), S2000(1min), Mustang(1min), S20001(min), S2000(1min 2 seconds...my time.), viper (1:04)... So all this trash talking is stupid... be car enthusiasts and like everything, theres always going to be something faster around the corner, so its all get along lol
__________________
-Steven
Current - Honda S2000 (road racing warrior)
Future - BMW M3 Coupe
djdorifto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 09:15 PM   #51
herbz
hi
 
Drives: '86 325e
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: outside boston MA

Posts: 839
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by imolazhp_ci View Post
see now that's all understandable, everything you just said is reasonable based on your personal feelings. it just seemed that previously you were blaming the car for things it lacked that were simply individually preferential.
Yes, I should have posted my first post in more detail. It really is necessary to take time to write a very thorough post on the internet, or else people just will flat out misinterpret/not understand where you're coming from. But I thank you for keeping it mature with your points. I certainly agree with all of them.

Quote:
Yes it does make you ignorant and its based upon your opinion or the things you said. I wasn't trying to insult you. Ignorant doesn't mean stupid, I would not say that about you as I don't know you and I'm sure you're a very smart person.

Ignorant: "lacking knowledge or information as to a particular subject or fact"

You are entitled to your opinion, but the fact is you never drove an S2000 so I was pointing out to you that your opinion shows your ignorance about this particular car.
Well, you are right about that. I haven't driven it. That does make my opinion mean less than someone who has, probably.

Let me ask both ofyou guys: what do you think of the S2000's suspension as a daily driver? Would you consider it harsh over potholes etc?

Although I did list the things that I dont like about the car... the fact that imola said you can get one for under $30k has me intruiged about it again. Amazing how a little drop in price can make you not care about the things you don't like.

Thanks for keeping it professional guys
herbz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 09:47 PM   #52
imolazhp_ci
Major
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orange county

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

the S2000 is far more comfortable as a daily driver than my M Coupe is. my S2000 with 800lbs. springs on Aragosta dampers was about equal in comfort to my M Coupe stock.
imolazhp_ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 09:50 PM   #53
BoostedBMW
Moderator
 
BoostedBMW's Avatar
 
Drives: TiAg E92 335
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Raleigh, NC

Posts: 6,787
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
2003 S2000  [0.00]
Send a message via AIM to BoostedBMW
Add a GT30 or a GT35R into the mix and lets see how the M6 does on the straight away next time.

I use to have a turbo s2k, and it was such a fun car to drive, I feel the need to stick up for it.
__________________
-Michael.
Berlina Black S2000 CR is now in the garage

l 19" Rial Daytona Race l KW V2 l Eisenhaus Race Exhaust l
BoostedBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2007, 11:11 PM   #54
imolazhp_ci
Major
 
Drives: Z4 M Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: orange county

Posts: 1,002
iTrader: (0)

these are the cars i have owned or currently own: Prelude, E34 5 Series, 2002 BMW 540i, 2004 MKIV VW Jetta GLI, 2005 BMW ZHP, 2006 Honda S2000, 2006 BMW M5, 2007 BMW M Coupe.... and the S2000 is the only car I ever miss or could imagine REALLY missing... MAYBE the M Coupe.
imolazhp_ci is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2007, 12:21 PM   #55
Jaws
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Jaws's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i mt
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Edmonton

Posts: 1,736
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
hell, could the s2000 even beat a camry on the straight? i kind of doubt it.
This is where the ignorance showed. Other than that that, it's all good b/c you are entitled to your opinions.


As far as suspension harshness, it is quite acceptable. I found the E90 w/RFTs to be almost as harsh.
__________________
2006 325i - Sparkling Graphite
2000 S2000 - New Formula Red
2007 Chev Silverado crew cab Z71
Jaws is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2007, 01:54 PM   #56
Bennu
Colonel
 
Bennu's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW Coupe
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Palm Beach

Posts: 2,209
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2014 BMW/M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by herbz View Post
Yes, I should have posted my first post in more detail. It really is necessary to take time to write a very thorough post on the internet, or else people just will flat out misinterpret/not understand where you're coming from. But I thank you for keeping it mature with your points. I certainly agree with all of them.



Well, you are right about that. I haven't driven it. That does make my opinion mean less than someone who has, probably.

Let me ask both ofyou guys: what do you think of the S2000's suspension as a daily driver? Would you consider it harsh over potholes etc?

Although I did list the things that I dont like about the car... the fact that imola said you can get one for under $30k has me intruiged about it again. Amazing how a little drop in price can make you not care about the things you don't like.

Thanks for keeping it professional guys
I've driven the S2000 once, but I ride in it all the time with my cousin who owns one. As a daily driver it would be just fine from my point of view.

If you ever get the chance I'd highly suggest you take a test drive and see how well the car pulls. Not to mention how well balanced the suspension is setup. In my opinion, its really the only Honda I'd ever consider owning just for the fun factor.
__________________
------------------------------------------------
Lack of money is not the problem. It is merely a symptom of what's going on inside of you! - T Harv Eker

Bennu is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:53 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST