E90Post
 


TNT Racewerks
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Jb4 map 2 without DP?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2014, 02:55 PM   #1
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Jb4 map 2 without DP?

Couldn't really find much on this, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Can you run map 2 without downpipes, on 93 octane? I know it's 'recommended' to have DP's, but I'm just curious. Tempted to try it, but if running map 2 will cause damage, I obviously won't do it.

Also, how did you guys with an e92 feed the USB cable from the jb4 into the cabin?
__________________
Chttp://blog.mainstreethost.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/Grumpy-Cat-Meme-300x100.png
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2014, 02:58 PM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

Posts: 850
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Couldn't really find much on this, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Can you run map 2 without downpipes, on 93 octane? I know it's 'recommended' to have DP's, but I'm just curious. Tempted to try it, but if running map 2 will cause damage, I obviously won't do it.

Also, how did you guys with an e92 feed the USB cable from the jb4 into the cabin?
Never tried running map 2 before I had dp's - so I cannot speak to that.

Running the USB is super easy. It'll take you 15 minutes max.
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Sidewinderpb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Where'd you run it through? I couldn't find an easy path from the ecu box
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2014, 03:36 PM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

Posts: 850
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Where'd you run it through? I couldn't find an easy path from the ecu box
There's a hole in the back of the ECU box, which leads right down under the glove compartment.

Check this DIY:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Sidewinderpb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-28-2014, 06:34 PM   #5
evo335xi
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ct

Posts: 347
iTrader: (0)

I guess you could as some have. Just have 93+ octane, maybe a booster. It works for some and feels sluggish to others.
evo335xi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
There's a hole in the back of the ECU box, which leads right down under the glove compartment.

Check this DIY:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
Sweet, thanks.
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 10:10 AM   #7
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo335xi View Post
I guess you could as some have. Just have 93+ octane, maybe a booster. It works for some and feels sluggish to others.
Nice, I'll give it a shot today.
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 10:13 AM   #8
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
 
Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (4)

I ran Map 2 a few times racing others, def pulls harder that map 1 with stock downpipes. Im on 93 octane with cat back exhaust, intakes, and CP/BOV
Eat.Sleep.Race is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 01:21 PM   #9
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Nice, that's what I wanted to hear! Did you happen to log while running 93?
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 01:33 PM   #10
mashimarho
BMW Genius
 
mashimarho's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Grand Rapids, michigan

Posts: 9,531
iTrader: (34)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I ran Map 2 a few times racing others, def pulls harder that map 1 with stock downpipes. Im on 93 octane with cat back exhaust, intakes, and CP/BOV
BOV...??? Are you an N54

Edit: just checked your threads, yes you're an N54.
__________________

Volk///ER///BMS///KW///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
mashimarho is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 01:35 PM   #11
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

....oh, damnit. Glad you caught that. I'm in my phone so I can't see sigs.
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-29-2014, 02:55 PM   #12
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
 
Drives: LCI 335i
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

Posts: 2,256
iTrader: (4)

i don't think it will be much different result on N55. But i could be wrong..
Eat.Sleep.Race is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 11:02 AM   #13
slowbmw
New Member
 
slowbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
slowbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 11:24 AM   #14
Jsoboti
Second Lieutenant
 
Jsoboti's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Texas

Posts: 270
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbmw View Post
Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
You're saying map 5 with stock DP will create more boost than Map 2 w/ catless DP??

Will map 5 with Catless DP make more boost than Map 2 with Catless DP?
__________________
-JB4 G5 ISO
-BMS Performance Intake
-BMS Wheel Spacers
-VRSF Catless DP
-CYBA Scoops
Jsoboti is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 11:35 AM   #15
JETmn
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Minneapolis

Posts: 500
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbmw View Post
Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
That doesn't make any sense. You say you can't run map 2 without DP's because it will make too much boost with the DP restriction (there is no DP's, this is an N55). Yet later on you say go ahead and run map 5 because it will make more boost? Creating more boost will create even more heat, Pv=nRT.
JETmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 11:55 AM   #16
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 11:56 AM   #17
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
 
Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

Posts: 850
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
Because disclaimer!
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Sidewinderpb is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 12:45 PM   #18
Johnny Boost
Captain
 
Johnny Boost's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TBD

Posts: 834
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman-
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
Is it really worth messing up your car? Why not just buy downpipes if you want to run map 2 that badly?
__________________
BMS Intake | BMS DP | Cobb AP V3 | E50 Pro Tune by PTF | VRSF CP | Alpina B3 TCU | Custom Coding

LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | M3 Lip Spoiler | 5% tint
Johnny Boost is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 12:49 PM   #19
Knobi
Captain
 
Knobi's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Weston, FL

Posts: 465
iTrader: (3)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman-
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
You can achieve more boost on Map 5 (up to 17psi). However, Map 5 auto tunes based on mods, weather, etc... The less mods you have and the hotter it is outside the less boost you will achieve. You WILL NOT get 17 psi if you don't have the mods to support it.
That been said, using Map 2 or Map 5 on stock DPs will only increase back pressure, which will reduce the engine's efficiency.
__________________
2011 BMW 335i (N55) | Jet Black | M-Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access
JB4 Stage ll FlexFuel | BMW PPK | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Race FMIC | AR DP | ER CP | BMS Intake
LUX V4 | CF M3 Trunk Spoiler | DEPO | HPB LED Kit | 3M 20% Tint | 10mm/12mm BMS Spacers | BMW Type 193 (Anthracite) | BMW Performance Shift Knob
Knobi is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 12:53 PM   #20
-Wingman-
Lieutenant
 
-Wingman-'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

Posts: 493
iTrader: (2)

It's not necessarily about me wanting to run map 2 'badly.' It's more about the convenience that map 2 has over map 5. With map 2, everything is preset and ready go as soon as you put 93 octane in your car. With map 5, you have to 'guess' what blend you're putting in to some extent, constantly datalog to make sure your car is fine, and run the car at least 3 times in order for the car to adapt. So the question here is, what makes map 5 safer than map 2 without a dp if map 5 ultimately allows your car to run more boost?
-Wingman- is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 01:50 PM   #21
slowbmw
New Member
 
slowbmw's Avatar
 
Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Posts: 21
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
That doesn't make any sense. You say you can't run map 2 without DP's because it will make too much boost with the DP restriction (there is no DP's, this is an N55). Yet later on you say go ahead and run map 5 because it will make more boost? Creating more boost will create even more heat, Pv=nRT.
Sorry, I stepped over myself in that message. I meant to say that map 5 will create more boost that map 1 and IMO creates a better feel of power.

Secondly, Map 5 will make less boost than Map 2, however in my trails (I did switch on Map 2 for a short period of time) and still felt like the car pulled harder on map 5. I cannot back up this statement with logs, however I can just state my opinion by feel of the car.
slowbmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      05-30-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
 
Briancanadiano's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 729
iTrader: (2)

I ran map 2 before I got downpipes for a while with 0 issues, did it pull harder then map 1? Hell ya!! Night and day.
Now I have intercooler downpipes dci and always run on map 5. There's no comparison on how much harder my car pulls on map 5, if I put it to map 2 just doesn't have that same kick.
I'm an n54 btw.
Briancanadiano is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:19 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST