E90Post
 


European Auto Source
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Jb4 map 2 without DP?



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-28-2014, 03:55 PM   #1
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Jb4 map 2 without DP?

Couldn't really find much on this, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Can you run map 2 without downpipes, on 93 octane? I know it's 'recommended' to have DP's, but I'm just curious. Tempted to try it, but if running map 2 will cause damage, I obviously won't do it.

Also, how did you guys with an e92 feed the USB cable from the jb4 into the cabin?
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 03:58 PM   #2
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
228
Rep
1,576
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Couldn't really find much on this, so I decided to make a thread about it.

Can you run map 2 without downpipes, on 93 octane? I know it's 'recommended' to have DP's, but I'm just curious. Tempted to try it, but if running map 2 will cause damage, I obviously won't do it.

Also, how did you guys with an e92 feed the USB cable from the jb4 into the cabin?
Never tried running map 2 before I had dp's - so I cannot speak to that.

Running the USB is super easy. It'll take you 15 minutes max.
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:32 PM   #3
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Where'd you run it through? I couldn't find an easy path from the ecu box
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 04:36 PM   #4
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
228
Rep
1,576
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Where'd you run it through? I couldn't find an easy path from the ecu box
There's a hole in the back of the ECU box, which leads right down under the glove compartment.

Check this DIY:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
evo335xi
Lieutenant
10
Rep
416
Posts

Drives: 335
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Ct

iTrader: (1)

I guess you could as some have. Just have 93+ octane, maybe a booster. It works for some and feels sluggish to others.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #6
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidewinderpb View Post
There's a hole in the back of the ECU box, which leads right down under the glove compartment.

Check this DIY:
http://www.n54tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6557
Sweet, thanks.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by evo335xi View Post
I guess you could as some have. Just have 93+ octane, maybe a booster. It works for some and feels sluggish to others.
Nice, I'll give it a shot today.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 11:13 AM   #8
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
141
Rep
3,990
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (7)

I ran Map 2 a few times racing others, def pulls harder that map 1 with stock downpipes. Im on 93 octane with cat back exhaust, intakes, and CP/BOV
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:21 PM   #9
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Nice, that's what I wanted to hear! Did you happen to log while running 93?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
mashimarho
BMW Genius
mashimarho's Avatar
United_States
714
Rep
12,180
Posts

Drives: e92 LCI 335i xDrive™
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Mill Creek, WA

iTrader: (38)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I ran Map 2 a few times racing others, def pulls harder that map 1 with stock downpipes. Im on 93 octane with cat back exhaust, intakes, and CP/BOV
BOV...??? Are you an N54

Edit: just checked your threads, yes you're an N54.
__________________

My Progress: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=770326
BBS&Forgestar///ER///BMS///AirLift///VRSF///ARKYM///DD///CYBA///STOPTECH///BMW Performance ///
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

....oh, damnit. Glad you caught that. I'm in my phone so I can't see sigs.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2014, 03:55 PM   #12
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
141
Rep
3,990
Posts

Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Northern VA

iTrader: (7)

i don't think it will be much different result on N55. But i could be wrong..
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:02 PM   #13
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
slowbmw's Avatar
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:24 PM   #14
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Jsoboti's Avatar
13
Rep
584
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT
Join Date: May 2014
Location: Mississippi

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbmw View Post
Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
You're saying map 5 with stock DP will create more boost than Map 2 w/ catless DP??

Will map 5 with Catless DP make more boost than Map 2 with Catless DP?
__________________
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:35 PM   #15
JETmn
Major
United_States
42
Rep
1,052
Posts

Drives: 2011 335i xDrive Msport
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Orlando

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbmw View Post
Quick note on running map 2 with OEM DP's:

I would not recommend doing this. Map 2 explicitly states to be used with aftermarket DP's. The reason that map can run higher boost is because of the reduced flow coefficient of the aftermarket dp's. You will risk killing your OEM's and clogging them up. Also subjecting your turbine housing to a higher pressure is also more detrimental because the 1200deg exhaust gasses cannot be rapidly removed from the housing.

Go buy the aftermarkets for a few extra dollars and truly experience the map 2 potential. Until then...run on Map 5. It will definitely create higher boost.
That doesn't make any sense. You say you can't run map 2 without DP's because it will make too much boost with the DP restriction (there is no DP's, this is an N55). Yet later on you say go ahead and run map 5 because it will make more boost? Creating more boost will create even more heat, Pv=nRT.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:55 PM   #16
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 12:56 PM   #17
Sidewinderpb
Chef don't judge
228
Rep
1,576
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Norwalk, CT

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman- View Post
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
Because disclaimer!
__________________
2011 e92 335i xDrive 6MT
BSM | Coral Red
JB4 Stage 2 ISO 5.3 | BMS Catless Downpipe | BMS Intake | Vishnu Chargepipe | KW V3 | PE Mod
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:45 PM   #18
Johnny Boost
Lieutenant Colonel
130
Rep
1,800
Posts

Drives: '11 335i M-Sport
Join Date: May 2013
Location: TBD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman-
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
Is it really worth messing up your car? Why not just buy downpipes if you want to run map 2 that badly?
__________________
JB4 Stage 2 w/ FF | Performance Exhaust Mod | BMS DP | Vibrant 1790 | BMS Intake | VRSF CP | Alpina B3 TCU
Michelin PSS | M3 Control Arms
LUX v4 LEDs | Shadowline Grills | Lip Spoiler
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #19
Knobi
Captain
Knobi's Avatar
United_States
30
Rep
657
Posts

Drives: 2011 E90 335i
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Weston, FL

iTrader: (4)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Wingman-
Yeah, that why I don't get why it's 'unsafe' to run map 2 without dp if you can run map 5 with a stock dp and theoretically achieve higher boost.
You can achieve more boost on Map 5 (up to 17psi). However, Map 5 auto tunes based on mods, weather, etc... The less mods you have and the hotter it is outside the less boost you will achieve. You WILL NOT get 17 psi if you don't have the mods to support it.
That been said, using Map 2 or Map 5 on stock DPs will only increase back pressure, which will reduce the engine's efficiency.
__________________
2011 BMW 335i (N55) | Jet Black | M-Sport | Premium | Navigation | Comfort Access
JB4 Stage ll FlexFuel | BMW PPK | BMW Performance Exhaust | AA Race FMIC | AR DP | ER CP | BMS Intake
LUX V5 | Carbono CSL Trunk | M3 Control Arms | Forgestar F14 Wheels | KW V2 | BMW Performance Steering Wheel | BMW Performance Shift Knob
Instagram: @filmrevolt
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 01:53 PM   #20
-Wingman-
Banned
8
Rep
497
Posts

Drives: 2011 e92 M-Sport
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Kansas

iTrader: (2)

It's not necessarily about me wanting to run map 2 'badly.' It's more about the convenience that map 2 has over map 5. With map 2, everything is preset and ready go as soon as you put 93 octane in your car. With map 5, you have to 'guess' what blend you're putting in to some extent, constantly datalog to make sure your car is fine, and run the car at least 3 times in order for the car to adapt. So the question here is, what makes map 5 safer than map 2 without a dp if map 5 ultimately allows your car to run more boost?
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 02:50 PM   #21
slowbmw
Enlisted Member
slowbmw's Avatar
0
Rep
38
Posts

Drives: 2007 335i Cpe, 2011 335XI Sdn
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JETmn View Post
That doesn't make any sense. You say you can't run map 2 without DP's because it will make too much boost with the DP restriction (there is no DP's, this is an N55). Yet later on you say go ahead and run map 5 because it will make more boost? Creating more boost will create even more heat, Pv=nRT.
Sorry, I stepped over myself in that message. I meant to say that map 5 will create more boost that map 1 and IMO creates a better feel of power.

Secondly, Map 5 will make less boost than Map 2, however in my trails (I did switch on Map 2 for a short period of time) and still felt like the car pulled harder on map 5. I cannot back up this statement with logs, however I can just state my opinion by feel of the car.
Appreciate 0
      05-30-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
Briancanadiano
Brian335tt
Briancanadiano's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
1,207
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i premium package 19"ri
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (3)

I ran map 2 before I got downpipes for a while with 0 issues, did it pull harder then map 1? Hell ya!! Night and day.
Now I have intercooler downpipes dci and always run on map 5. There's no comparison on how much harder my car pulls on map 5, if I put it to map 2 just doesn't have that same kick.
I'm an n54 btw.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:17 AM.




e90post
e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST