E90Post

PYSPEED

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > UED | AA Xede Processor Review

12-11-2007, 12:20 PM   #1
UniqueEDesign

Drives: Prototype E92

Send a message via AIM to UniqueEDesign
Thumbs up UED | AA Xede Processor Review

Hey everyone.

We have had our UED E92 335i project car for a few months now and are finally getting to work on it. The car stock is an awesome driving car that is very fun to drive and produces gobs of torque in any gear, at any speed. Our overall goal for this project is the same as it was for our Twin-Screw Supercharged E46 330i project car; to come up with a FUNCTIONAL, reliable, street-drivable car that will be tracked consistently and put up great numbers time after time while being able to be a funner car to drive on the street than stock!

When it came time to install engine software to "pep" up the acceleration of our E92 335i, we knew where we had to go: Active Autowerke. We rely on AA tuning for all of our cars (whether N/A of F/I) and knew that this car would not be any different. We set-up an appointment to take the car in last week and went in for the install.

As usual we were greeted with familiar, friendly faces and they got to work on the car as soon as it cooled down a bit. Barry and Lance went to work on the car and about half an hour later the install was done. Barry took the car out for a test drive just to make sure that everything was where he wanted it to be. After giving his approval, I was off!

Review: Off the bat the car instantly had more torque; and lots of it It was noticeable but VERY usable and very linear. From what I've gathered, the R7 map they installed does just this; make the car smoother while maintaining the same peak TQ as their previous maps. On the track, nothing is worse than having A LOT of torque in one spot (especially since you have to use the throttle to steer) and I love the fact that everything felt so linear. If I had to describe it I would say that the power band feels just like stock; only there is more HP and TQ pushing the car.

On the way home, I was able to do a few pulls in every gear. The car is WICKED fast in first gear, but the wheel spin is very manageable. 2nd gear is beastly, and so is 3rd gear. The best of all is cruising in 5th or 6th and just being able to get on some of the throttle and the car just takes off! Like others said, it feels like every gear is the gear below it. 6th now feels like the pull in 5th, 5th like 4th, and so on so forth.

I monitored the boost gauge installed in the car, and I must say that I am EXTREMELY happy with what it said. 15 lb of peak boost, all day, everyday. No spikes, no strange occurrences, no little demons under my hood playing with my boost solenoids, nothing. The car is rock solid. With some further testing and comparing to stock logs we had at the office, the car in stock form would go to 4-5 psi under partial throttle, when it now goes up to 9 or 10 (stock peak boost) this makes daily driving much more rewarding. At the same time, driving the car slow still retains its smoothness 110%.

Oh, and the valet switch is awesome! They put it in a spot where you would have to know what you are looking for in order to find it.

Overall impressions: The car runs great. No limp modes or anything of that nature, and it runs 15 lbs of boost without any hiccups and without any spikes. It's rock solid. I love the fact that the car is so linear! It is going to make a great car on the track. I also love the fact that I don't need to worry about some ungodly amount of torque stressing my transmission. Oh yeah..... AND IT'S FAST!!!!!!!

We are setting out to disprove those that say turbo cars are not very well mannered on the track (road course) and I think this software and its linearity is the best starting point for us. We will probably go dyno tune the car to get a more specific tune after a few laps around the track, but for now I am expecting some great results. We have many plans for the car, but next we are doing suspension upgrades, and cooling upgrades to make sure the car stays cool on the track. We are working on manufacturing an upgraded oil cooler and a few other cooling upgrades as we speak.

Thanks for reading, and have a happy (and safe) holidays!!

- Andy | Unique Euro Design

Last edited by UniqueEDesign; 12-11-2007 at 01:21 PM.
      12-11-2007, 01:08 PM   #2
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159

Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
I predict a 13.0 at the track if there are no other performance mods on your car. Congrats on the Xede! Hope you like it. I've had no issues with mine.