Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

TireRack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Winter Tire Suggestion

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

Wheel offset calculator courtesy of BimmerPost.com. You may use this calculator to calculate what tire sizes you might need if you upgrade your tires, or what wheel sizes/offsets are compatible with your car.
    Current Wheel Width  inches             Current Wheel Offset  mm.
         New Wheel Width  inches                  New Wheel Offset  mm.

TIRE WIDTH
/
ASPECT RATIO
- WHEEL DIAMETER
ORIGINAL TIRES
/
NEW TIRES
/
Based on your stock wheel setup, your new wheel will have:
Original Tires Diameter (in.)
      New Tires Diameter (in.)
  Difference in diameter (in.)
           Percent Difference %

Speedo @60mph will read: mph
Collapse/Expand the BimmerPost Wheel and Tire calculator

12-05-2007, 06:50 PM   #1
jrob216
Registered

Drives: 2006 Black 330i

Winter Tire Suggestion

Greetings All,

OK, I drive a 2006 330i w/Sports Package that is currently parked down the street from my house because I had no traction to make it home in Maryland's first snowfall of the year.

Can anyone recommend a good all weather tire to replace my stock tires? I was looking to upgrade in the future, but today's weather may cause to move up my timeline. TIA...Jeff
      12-05-2007, 06:54 PM   #2
iatacs19
Major General

Drives: 335is

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99243

BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 01:35 PM   #3
Spacegray335i
BimmerPost Supporting Buyer

Drives: Me Nuts

haha..the mods came in and moved this?
      12-06-2007, 02:33 PM   #4
Grumpa72
Private First Class

Drives: 2007 328xi

If you go to Tirerack.com and click on their winter tire section, there will be a graph showing ratings of the various snow tires. A lot depends on whether you want the performance winter tire or the studless ice & snow tire. I would think that, for those who really live in a big snow area, the studless would be better.
      12-06-2007, 06:37 PM   #5
arbitrage
First Lieutenant

Drives: 07 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
I used Dunlop Winter Sport M3 two winters and I didn't really like them. They were crappy when it was warm out (expected) and they didn't get me to work when it snowed out (a disappointment).

If it snows, you really need to have a full tank of gas and some weight in the trunk or "you ain't going nowhere". What I failed to realize was that my old car, a 1992 Ford Crown Victoria, had an LSD paired with its rear wheel drive which is what got the car moving. I've never lost control in the 3, but I've had trouble getting momentum.

Bridgestone Blizzaks are the absolute best for days like today. But days like today happen 3 times a year max in Washington. And on those weeks in January where it's 60 degrees, you'll be kicking yourself.
I find your claims as to the Dunlops very different than my own experience. I use the M3s on my 335i which has oodles more torque to the rear wheels than your car and I get through every snow storm just fine. Also in the dry the tires perform very well for a winter tire. Best I've used in the dry and will blow the Blizzacks away in the dry every day of the week. In snow and slush the tires are amazing, I've driven easily through around 8's of snow or more without any problem, the car just plows through. On ice they suffer a little and my rear gets twitchy but DSC brings it into check immediately, or on solid ice I just use DTC to get some wheel spin to get going. I'm just surprised at your Dunlop comments as tons of members here use them and rave about them.
arbitrage is offline   Canada
      12-07-2007, 10:30 AM   #6
Bram335
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 335 AW

I live in Toronto and we've had 2 major storms so far. I have Dunlop SP Winter 3D and I've had no trouble what so ever. The performance is great and the car feels much better than the stock wheels. I got my entire set-up including the wheels from Tirerack. You can check out my winter set-up at the link below. Good luck with everything
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=98646
Bram335 is offline   Canada
      12-07-2007, 04:49 PM   #7
BK
Smiling politely

Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [4.50]
+1 on the positive review of the Dunlop M3 Winter Sport. I have the RFT version and I am a fan of them. If Blizzaks are better, they must be a damn fine tire, because I have been pleasantly surprised at how good the Dunlop M3s are. With a RWD 330i ZSP, it's not like I turn into a Jeep CJ5, but it gets me through the snow with reasonable confidence.

Last year, I had the Dunlop M3 on the car from late November until maybe April this year. I had them on the car so long because... well, it's a long story. Suffice it to say I had them on the car in snowy, slushy, cold, and wet and dry conditions, as well as during warm days in the wet and dry. I found them to be surprisingly good tires in all conditions. I don't know if my standards or expectations are lower than westwest888's, but I think they are really nice tires.

I just put them again on the day before yesterday, and once again, I have been surprised at how well they work. They get a big thumbs up from me.

330i | Black Sapphire | Beige + Burl | Sport | Premium | Cold | Nav | CA | Sat prep
BK is offline   United_States