E90Post

GTB Performance

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > E92 XI + springs?

12-05-2007, 10:25 PM   #1
ikbs
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 323i

E92 XI + springs?

Hello!

Just wondering if I put lowered springs to a XI model (328XI or 335XI) Will I wreck the XI all wheel system ? Since theres no optional ZSP suspension, will the spring eventually kill the stock shocks? (planning to go to eibach springs) they claim to be suitable with OEM shocks.

Thanks =)
      12-05-2007, 11:33 PM   #2
Dragonman4
Brigadier General

Drives: 996tt

Garage List
2008 335xi  [0.00]
I'm not too sure about the 328xi but I was under the impression that the 335xi's stock suspension was the same as the ZSP sport suspension for the 335i is it not?
Dragonman4 is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 09:38 AM   #3
Corsis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 98 ///M3

Im far from a suspension genius, but i think you should be ok with Eibach's on stock shocks. It may cut the shocks life short a bit, but overall i dont think you will do much damage if any to the actual xdrive system. Im probably going to go with KW-V3 coilovers on my 335xi or wait and see what BMW performance parts come out with.
Corsis is offline   United_States
      12-06-2007, 10:13 AM   #4
NSM
Modeldater

Drives: BSM M6 Vert & BSM 135i

You should be fine. The ride height has nothing to do with the x-drive which is completely transmission oriented. The reason for the higher ride height in the xi is BMW figured that the car would be driven if poorer conditions such as snow thus the need for the x drive option.

2006 Indianapolis Red E60 M5: 20x9, 20x11.5 HRE, SS exhaust coming soon
2006 Japan Rot E90 330xi: AFe CAI, Stygar SSK, ACS Body, H&R Sport
      12-06-2007, 12:17 PM   #5
ikbs
Enlisted Member

Drives: E90 323i

Thanks =)

I thought the suspension has something to do with the XI system... since no after market companies make suspensions for XIs except V3s or springs.
Its just a daily ride, no hardcore driving involve. Wonder if Eibach will keep the stock shocks healthy for couple of years.
      12-06-2007, 01:17 PM   #6
Ron@Modbargains

Drives: 996TT/ae86

Send a message via AIM to Ron@Modbargains
I've never heard of that claim of more oem compatible from Eibach over a competing brand. Lets not start rumors cause H&R, even Teins work just fine with the OEM shocks.

But they do wear them down quicker. Besides the KW V3xi - which would be best choice.

For a 328xi you can get the H&R Coilovers:http://www.**********s.com/product.a...ilovers_E90_PR

Ron@Modbargains is offline   United_States
      12-07-2007, 02:37 PM   #7
Scott B
Private First Class

Drives: 1M

Does anyone know if you can install the E92 335i sport (ZSP) springs onto the E92 335xi? Any downside to this?

I'm just looking for a little less squat in the rear when I accellerate, and a slightly lower profile. I won't consider anything but OEM parts at this point.
Scott B is offline   United_States
      12-07-2007, 03:02 PM   #8
Ron@Modbargains

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott B View Post
Does anyone know if you can install the E92 335i sport (ZSP) springs onto the E92 335xi? Any downside to this?

I'm just looking for a little less squat in the rear when I accellerate, and a slightly lower profile. I won't consider anything but OEM parts at this point.
Won't work, different parts.
      12-09-2007, 09:47 PM   #9
TheLegacy
Gangsta status

Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy
Eibach and H&R both are doing R&D on XI springs for the 335, I spoke to them. They weren't "sure" if there was a difference yet why they dont advertise it. but that was a month ago.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
TheLegacy is offline   United_States
      12-10-2007, 08:21 PM   #10
chris b.
Brigadier General

Drives: zmp e90

Garage List
2010 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron************ View Post
Won't work, different parts.
are the springs that much different? any comparison pics of a set for and "i" and "xi"? my friend wanted to do this,but i told him not to. he claims they cant be that different.

could i sell him my h&r sport springs?

Brentuning Cobb AP pro tune
2010 335i zmp fbo
465whp 513tq 50% E85
chris b. is online now   United_States
      12-10-2007, 11:02 PM   #11
Corsis
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 335xi coupe, 98 ///M3

I dont want to start another post, so im going to just ask here. I just got a 335xi coupe and want to lower it. Im not really interested in paying 2000 dollars for an adjustable Coilover kit as i dont plan to ever track this car. I am just looking for a very subtle drop, just to give it the look of a non xi coupe. Ive heard people say the H&R springs will work on a 335xi, but i believe they were talking about the sedan and not the coupe. Is this true or can i run H&R springs on a 335xi coupe.
Corsis is offline   United_States
      12-10-2007, 11:15 PM   #12
phozenstone
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue

arent you guys voiding the warranty by changing out the suspension?
E92 Xdrive / Montego Blue / M3 Black Novillo Leather / OEM 351M 19" Wheels / Mtech Rear w/ IS Diffuser / Aero Lip / LCI Tailights / M3 Steering Wheel w/Paddles / 40% Huper Optik / Lux V3 / 4300K HID Fogs / Dynavin N6 / 3 Stage Intake Manifold / Magnaflow Dual Exhaust Conversion 4" Tips / K&N Filter w/ charcoal delete / Active Autowerke Stage 2 Tune / KW V1 Coilovers / BMW Performance Strut Bar
      12-11-2007, 09:48 AM   #13
rohms3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 328i

Youre only vioding youre warranty on your shocks or springs that you are taking out of the car anyway. If something else breaks it has to be proven that the new suspension caused it
rohms3 is offline   United_States
      12-11-2007, 03:08 PM   #14
TheLegacy
Gangsta status

Drives: 2002 E39 M5, heavily modded

Send a message via AIM to TheLegacy Send a message via Skype™ to TheLegacy
Voiding suspension is no big deal pshhh but no i was told that the springs might be dif for xi and for coupe vs sedan... I might its from dif makers, called their offices but i dont always take their word for it.
"Ready for the Apocalypse"
TheLegacy is offline   United_States
      12-11-2007, 06:46 PM   #15
rohms3
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 328i

I think im going to try and see if non-xi h&r sports work. Im thinking the only difference between the two is the front xi springs are taller to keep the higher front rake that the car has stock, and maybe if the non-xi springs fit the car will sit level.

I still want to know if anyone has tried to use non-xi zsp shocks or springs on an xi, or even if theyll fit. I dont see how there could be such a huge difference, so i may just take one for the team and try it out once spring rolls around...

Im assuming that since certain coilovers arent "supposed" to fit xi's, there is a difference in the mouting of the shocks, or something different in the clearances in the shock body... im not really sure if anyone has tried to fit non-xi stuff to an xi though. I really hate the way the car sits, and dont want to drop 2g's on coils that arent necessary...
rohms3 is offline   United_States
      12-13-2007, 03:58 AM   #16
Ron@Modbargains

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris b. View Post
are the springs that much different? any comparison pics of a set for and "i" and "xi"? my friend wanted to do this,but i told him not to. he claims they cant be that different.

could i sell him my h&r sport springs?
Yes the two are very different unfortunately, the xi is a heavier car for example, there are different weight forces on the spring that have to be taken into consideration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phozenstone View Post
arent you guys voiding the warranty by changing out the suspension?
No, warranty is only voided on direct areas of work done on the part that can be shown to be the result from an outside job. So if you change your headlights, and your rear axle falls out - it means that no your not voiding your warranty.

Now if you put on say some aftermarket suspension - and the rear axle falls out - if the technicians find that the rear axle falling off was due to the suspension that you installed then the can void your warranty on that specific piece. Remember they have to show its related.