E90Post
 


GTB Performance
 
BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wash, Wax, Detailing and Cosmetic protection/repairs > Need advice on foam cannon



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2014, 09:24 AM   #1
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Need advice on foam cannon

So I am currently looking into getting a foam cannon setup to wash my cars, unfortunately I know very little about where to begin.

Does anyone have advice on which brands of foam cannon + power washer to get for cheap? I am okay with getting a used power washer, I heard Honda motors are pretty solid.

Also, any advice on recommended pressure and good quality soap?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:14 AM   #2
330iE90spt
Private
United_States
2
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i Tiag Sdn
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S. Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

This is the high pressure one.
MTM Hydro Professional Foam Lance Adjustable with 32 oz. Bottle
http://www.wayfair.com/MTM-Hydro-Pro...3-MHD1010.html
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F.../dp/B004GNZYY4

This is the NEW low pressure one.
MTM Hydro Professional 2600 PSI Adjustable Foamer
http://www.wayfair.com/MTM-Hydro-Pro...9-MHD1109.html
http://www.amazon.com/Professional-2.../dp/B00EDSLVQC




Chemical Guys EQP_300 - MTM Next Generation Professional Foam Cannon
http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...ys+foam+cannon
http://www.chemicalguys.com/Chemical..._p/eqp_300.htm

Chemical Guys EQP_310 TORQ Professional Foam Cannon
http://www.amazon.com/Chemical-Guys-...ys+foam+cannon

Good quality soap - Chemical guys Maxi-Suds II or Chemical guys Honeydew.

Gas power washers are going to be more expensive. A decent electric power washer will do the job.

Watch youtube videos!! Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:24 AM   #3
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
80
Rep
3,453
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

You are in Austin, where our cars get dusty. Not really dirty to the point where a foam cannon would be warranted. A regular pressure washer would be just fine.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:27 AM   #4
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

I just bought a Torq foam cannon and a Ryobi electric 1700psi pressure washer since I do detailing and sometimes have to be mobile. The pressure washer works great for me. Relatively cheap too. Here's a pic of it's results. I use honeydew
Attached Images
 
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:35 AM   #5
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
You are in Austin, where our cars get dusty. Not really dirty to the point where a foam cannon would be warranted. A regular pressure washer would be just fine.
I work and live by some construction sites and we have 4+ cars in the household so I thought it would be a nice way to do a quick wash once a week for all the cars at once.

But yes I do see how it could be overkill just for my 335, even though its AW and I feel like I am always washing it.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:43 AM   #6
P1et
Brigadier General
P1et's Avatar
80
Rep
3,453
Posts

 
Drives: '11 X5 | '11 135i
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
I work and live by some construction sites and we have 4+ cars in the household so I thought it would be a nice way to do a quick wash once a week for all the cars at once.

But yes I do see how it could be overkill just for my 335, even though its AW and I feel like I am always washing it.
I have two AWs and NEVER AGAIN. They are more of a pain than a black car. My next car will definitely be metallic of some sort.

The pollen in Austin are terrible also. Always riles me. My white cars look yellow after 15 minutes.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:45 AM   #7
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I have two AWs and NEVER AGAIN. They are more of a pain than a black car. My next car will definitely be metallic of some sort.

The pollen in Austin are terrible also. Always riles me. My white cars look yellow after 15 minutes.
Haha yep, it really is a great looking color but parking it under trees in the wrong season definitely will turn it yellow or green until the next wash.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
NickBlaine
Private First Class
NickBlaine's Avatar
10
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335XI
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

I picked up a AR Blue 383
http://www.amazon.com/AR-AR383-Elect...ressure+washer

Along with their foam cannon
http://www.amazon.com/AR-Blue-Clean-...ar+foam+cannon

Works great!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 12:34 PM   #9
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBlaine View Post
That is a great deal on the Pressure Washer but is that 1.5gpm enough flow?
Maybe if I use it with the MTM Low Pressure Foamer from above?

Have any pictures of your car foamed up using that washer?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
330iE90spt
Private
United_States
2
Rep
99
Posts

 
Drives: '06 330i Tiag Sdn
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: S. Westchester, NY

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_BMW View Post
I just bought a Torq foam cannon and a Ryobi electric 1700psi pressure washer since I do detailing and sometimes have to be mobile. The pressure washer works great for me. Relatively cheap too. Here's a pic of it's results. I use honeydew
Hey Hokie, what made you buy the Chemical Guys Torq foam cannon as opposed to the CG Next Generation, MTM Hydro foam lance or the MTM Hydro 2600???
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 03:47 PM   #11
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 330iE90spt
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokie_BMW View Post
I just bought a Torq foam cannon and a Ryobi electric 1700psi pressure washer since I do detailing and sometimes have to be mobile. The pressure washer works great for me. Relatively cheap too. Here's a pic of it's results. I use honeydew
Hey Hokie, what made you buy the Chemical Guys Torq foam cannon as opposed to the CG Next Generation, MTM Hydro foam lance or the MTM Hydro 2600???
Didn't research the different options honestly and it was packaged with a gallon of honeydew on CG's site so it was cheaper so I went for it.
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2014, 09:25 PM   #12
SHEEDI
Lieutenant Colonel
SHEEDI's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
1,707
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 335i - Sport PKG
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [4.67]
Best free pressure washer

__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #13
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHEEDI View Post
Best free pressure washer
This is the new plan, dirt bike + plastic pool in front of the driveway.

Might even wash off the house too
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 10:05 AM   #14
Hokie_BMW
Lieutenant
8
Rep
547
Posts

 
Drives: 2007 335i coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Chapel Hill, NC/Blacksburg, VA

iTrader: (0)

In case anyone was interested, this is the PW I use...http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ryobi-170...4122/203800590

Good little unit. 3 year manufacturer warranty (best one I've seen so far, most are 1 year), strong frame, and no plastic covering that may break or crack and look crappy.
__________________
2007 335i coupe
Jet Black on Saddle Brown | 3 Pedals
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 02:06 PM   #15
NickBlaine
Private First Class
NickBlaine's Avatar
10
Rep
172
Posts

 
Drives: '10 335XI
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335m View Post
That is a great deal on the Pressure Washer but is that 1.5gpm enough flow?
Maybe if I use it with the MTM Low Pressure Foamer from above?

Have any pictures of your car foamed up using that washer?
The flow has been just fine for me. That foam attachment is just like the MTM LP cannon, just rebranded (I've heard many just use the same one, and re-brand with whatever).

My car was just rear-ended Monday night, or else I would take a shot for you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #16
335m
Captain
9
Rep
717
Posts

 
Drives: AW e92 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Austin Texas

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBlaine View Post
The flow has been just fine for me. That foam attachment is just like the MTM LP cannon, just rebranded (I've heard many just use the same one, and re-brand with whatever).

My car was just rear-ended Monday night, or else I would take a shot for you.
Oh man sorry to hear that, hope everything gets fixed up like new.
Appreciate 0
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:46 AM.




e90post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST