View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 05:30 AM   #84
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

I've come to the conclusion that many drivers believe they drive hard when they really drive quite briskly, perhaps accelerating hard and keeping up quite high average speeds. So different than using all the performance, most of the time. As I've said of myself, I drive briskly, use the full range of performance, BUT most of the time I'm cruising on a very light throttle due to conditions and speed limits.

Look at it logically, you accelerate hard down the slip road (big grin or smile) and then join the flow and cruise. Feels good, but it isn't hard driving, and if you cruise a few miles the mpg average will soon look pretty respectable.

Another factor often overlooked is the amount of braking. The guys who wear out pads in 25k miles are using a lot of energy (fuel), a massive excess compared to the guys who drive/accelerate just as fast and hard, but cruise for miles without needing to brake, and get 60 - 70k miles from a set of pads. It is factors like the above that also swing the mpg figures.

Also remember some choose a car like the 335d not to drive it on the limits all the time, just enjoy the total package and the performance when they need it, such as in safe overtaking moves and the feel of the engine.

I didn't 'need' a 540i with a 4.4-litre V8 engine, but what a car to drive, even pottering around. It was the refinement, the instant pickup, the whole feel of the car, whether accelerating hard or cruising at sensible speeds.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0