View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #49
luckyu
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i, 1998 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvc 22349a View Post
I didn't mean increasing the front spring rate x3; just tripling the rear rate from the front as BMW has w/the 135, 335, e9X M3.
I gotcha, it was just coincidence I chose those numbers.

Quote:
Examples of doubling the rear spring rate from the front instead of triplling it can include KW's street comfort c/o 286 lb F/573 lb R or HPA's c/o kits with 336 lb F/672 lb R.

In trying to make sense of what 'Orb' has written; if the rear spring rate isn't tripled from the front, will it further promote understeer and the car won't settle at the same time front to back when going over a bump?
Right. The settling behavior could be "fixed" with shocks, but my understanding is that would cause other problems.

Quote:
In the second example, wouldn't a 224 lb F/ 672 lb R spring set up be more congruent with the way the car was engineered?
Yes.

The 336/672 setup does two things: it messes up the nice flat ride you get with BMW's rates, and, it causes understeer (unless that's corrected somehow). The flat ride is not important for racing though.
2007 328i ZSP. M3 suspension: custom valved Bilstein shocks, Hyperco race springs, M3 lower control arms front and rear, M3 sway bars, and M3 subframe bushings. E46 front guide supports. Euro tail lights.
Appreciate 0