04-25-2013, 04:54 PM   #11
makkan00
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F83 and F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
That device doesn't actually *DO* anything besides quiet the error, though. The iDevice won't charge any faster with it. And at worst it'll break track control.

There ARE power injectors, something like this device that may work. I couldn't tell you from experience, though. I will say I made myself something like that for my Y cable. From the MULF alone, the iPod can only draw about 1 watt at best. By splicing a cigarette lighter to USB supply into the Y cable USB power rails, the iDevice will draw 500mA, or 2.5W. Unfortunately, even though the spliced-in supply can source 5W, there's no way to tell the iDevice that it can draw 5W while still leaving the USB data lines connected to the MULF for track control. Still, it's better than the meter running backwards with the screen on
Alex,
There is no doubt about your intellectual abilities and the great work you have done.
However, old ipods / iphones were getting charged at 12V and new generation get charged at 5V.
So if you are using an old kit / HU which send 12V to ipod / iphone, then you get the error on iphone / ipod that this device (ipod kit) does not support charging. And that device run out of the battery.

In that case, you'd require 12V to 5V converter. And when it comes to the quality, then there is no doubt about cablejive's quality.

HTH.