View Single Post
      11-24-2013, 12:02 PM   #20
dixy2k
Major
Rep
Drives: 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335dFan View Post
I guess we can probably agree that the "ideal" 335d would either not suffer this carbon build-up at all or would not suffer it until later in its service life, say, after we would normally plan to get rid of it. Since the design of this type of engine architecture seems to make no build-up a bit unrealistic, what would we forum wienies think the service life should be before we think BMW has screwed us? Or is this a dumb question? For me it would be 200-300k miles. I drove my '86 Jetta diesel for just under 300k miles before I sold it in 2006 before moving to Asia. I would still have it and be driving it instead of the D if I had not gone to Asia. The other thing I would think reasonable is that the carbon buildup cleaning process would not be so apparently ad hoc and not settled by BMW.

To answer your question, I would redirect to your own statement in a way.

How about other diesel car manufacturers?
How are other brands plagued by the same problem as ours are?

Arguably Mercedes sell a lot more diesel cars/SUV's in US than any other manufacturer. I don't include any American trucks here on purpose.

We have Audi, BMW, Mercedes, Porsche and Volkswagen selling diesel cars here in US.

How many of those, except BMW, have similar problems?

I think this would be a determining factor in BMW's liability. If they are singled out, than I don't know what can defend them.

The argument that BMW sells the most powerful diesel engine in US (small cars, not trucks) is irrelevant.
MB has equally powerful engines in EU. Same engines, different ECU power setting. Same as BMW 330d vs 335d. In fact they recently brought over the new 535d which is actually the same 530d in EU.
Appreciate 0