View Single Post
      11-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #14
Avenged328i
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 14 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
That’s about as light as anything I’ve seen run on our motors. I bet it drives nicely when cold out though. Not a fan of how 5W-40 drives on really cold mornings; takes ages to get up to temp.You know when it’s cold out so you don’t want to get up in revs…but then the Alpina flash decides to hold 4th gear at 20mph at 900rpms, so it forces me to dial in all this load to go anywhere, which feels equally gross. OK I’m just ranting now

BMW OE is fine oil; it’s the length between oil changes that concerns me. N52s don’t run particularly hot so I wouldn’t be as concerned, but on the 54 there are serious shearing issues with people who track their cars or don’t have oil coolers.

I run Motul 5W-40 XCESS, have done so for the last 10K miles or so. Engine runs quieter, idles a bit smoother, and I know I’m putting a high quality oil in it. BITG reports have been good, and there aren’t any crazy additive packages in it that concern me. I should do a blackstone analysis on my next oil change, have never done one.
Nice I will look into M5W-40.
Appreciate 0