06-06-2014, 08:54 PM   #180
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrois View Post
Can someone please explain to me what LL01 and LL04 is?

I'm going Monday to get my oil done at a BMW shop in town. It's my first Beemer and don't know if they're recommending the right stuff.

He said my 06 E90 is a LL-04 and he's going to put total synthetic long life 5w30 that meets the approval or Fuchs 5w40 also same specs
The '01 and '04 stand for years 2001 and 2004. They're the years that BMW specified their latest standards.

LL-01 is the oil to use in all BMW gasoline/petrol engines in the USA/CA. LL-04 is the oil to use in all DIESEL engined BMWs in the USA/CA. It is a low-ash formula (don't ask). (It is also used in other countries - EU countries mostly - that have ultra-low-sulfur content in their gasoline. The USA/CA don't have that, and it isn't recommended to use LL-04 in gas/petrol engines here.)

Fuchs is a EU manufacturer of oils; good oil (often thought to be the factory fill for BMW, Porsche and other EU manufacturers.)

If they mechanics think that your E90 should be filled with LL-04, you should find other mechanics. It won't hurt your engine, but it won't last for the extended drain intervals that the car is designed for (15K miles/25K km.)
Appreciate 0