12-09-2007, 04:20 PM   #1
DrewKo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i Montego Blue Saddle Brown

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
UR Catted Downpipes -- Videos/Review

Thanks to e90post members scalbert and A418t81 (and Michael, A418t81's brother), I had UR catted DPs installed. I have stock secondary cats and exhaust, along with Procede 1.47.

First impression: Acceleration is quicker--not by very much, but still is quicker than with the stock downpipes. Spool up is a tad bit faster. I don't want to over-exaggerate here, so the words that best come to mind are "slight" and "small." However, you do notice the difference and I would rather have this slight increase.

Also, the sound of the exhaust is slightly louder. Not obtrusively loud, but a decibel or two more pronounced in the drivers seat. The tone is fairly deep and is not raspy. It is better described as a lower tone growl. The tone is a just a little bit higher in pitch than the stock downpipes, but still has good, low-toned growl. These downpipes are least five pounds per pipe lighter in weight as well.

A418t81 performed the golf-tee mod on my 335i, and that mod allows for the good growl sound to begin early in the acceleration process, which i like very much. Now, i do not have to go WOT to hear a very nice exhaust tone.

The only problem thus far is fitment. UR's manufacturing of the catted DP is not foolproof based on the product I received. I am going to have to take the car into a muffler shop to weld/adjust the fitment (close the offset of the DP to the pipe leading from the turbo--see photo attached) or ask UR to send me another set with the manufacturing bug resolved. I have not contacted UR about that issue yet. The catted pipes are basically touching each other as well. There is no room down there, but I also hear no clanking or vibration from the pipes, so that is probably no issue.

Attached is a photo of the fitment problem. Also attached are some in car videos for anyone interested in hearing what the catted DPs sound like in a coupe with otherwise stock exhaust set up.

I will dyno the car soon, but expect about a 6 or 7 whp gain based on what I am feeling in acceleration/turbo spool. I also plan on deleting the secondary cats.

Tx again to scalbert and A418t81 (and Michael, A418t81's brother). They are very knowledgeable and made the install a very good time. Even with the fitment issues, Steve got the job done in about 3 hours and it would have been even quicker had the damn things been true plug and play bolt ons.

Attached Images

Last edited by DrewKo; 12-09-2007 at 07:09 PM.