06-17-2015, 04:36 PM   #27
old grey steve
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: MK 7.5 Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-modster View Post
Does anyone know roughly what sort of price it is to have it replaced my cars hit 93k with remap ect.. Would like to get it done hearing all this for peace of mind cheers
It will be real money look to replace the tensioner would be perhaps the simplest course of action. To go the whole ho is expensive though reassuring as I've said from the start until the other day I'd neverseen one of these let go consider the numbers sold v these sort of issues its a small minority and though sad I'd really not worry too much about it. All I'd say is preventions better than cure get the tensioner checked out/replace it for peace of mind do a regular service and enjoy your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mob17 View Post
+1 on a 335d
See above

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_ View Post
Not seen VAG engines snap but have seen stretch. The 3.2 as in the r32 can stretch quite badly, but you can measure the stretch with diagnostic software apparently to see if it's within tolerance.
Yep heard of R32's haven't seen one yet but they are costly/complex to do compared with BMW's

What I will again say is these are in my eyes low in numbers we know about the N47 issues, these M57 issues are or would seem to be rare consider how many years the engines been produced overall they are durable. We are seeing/discussing what I've seen plus there's another post on here re the exact same issue, for which I've posted with some advice. Overall its not a bad power plant re the chain.

All I'd say is its good info to read but please don't fall out of love with your car based on what I've posted. Overall they are a good unit re this area of the engine I thought though it would be worth posting to highlight/advise only

Last edited by old grey steve; 06-17-2015 at 04:49 PM..
Appreciate 0