View Single Post
      07-19-2015, 04:32 PM   #426
dezibel
Registered
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW e87 130i 2006

Hi everyone,

i've been following this thread for a while now and did some direct chat with hass a while back.

I've done a very similar project to my 130i e87 which is pretty much the same engine like your e90's. I've cloned my MSV and have a second one to play with, which has a flat ethernet cable hardwired to the BDM port.

Some things i have figured out, some i haven't... yet ;-) But i want to share a little, may be somebody has some hints for my problems instead.

- I can confirm as hass said before, rewriting the MSV via BDM while installed is no problem at all, as long i connect the Galletto Interface before turning the ignition on. I use the emergency start port in the engine bay for 12v supply to my Galletto unit, so the voltage monitoring works within the software. On previous trys via OBD i had to pull the fuse for the fuel pump as it was rapidly draining my battery even as there was a 5 amp charger connected. Since BDM only takes 2 minutes i don't even bother hooking up a charger or disconnecting the pump.

- Error codes... i was struggling for a while with error code 2d58 & 2d59 which were triggered due to my chip tuning unfortunately the dealer who did the original tuning had no idea how to fix it, so i started digging myself. It seems to be a common issue within the 35i community which occurs after tuning. It causes the car to go into limp mode and all DSC & ABS lights light up like a xmas tree, once the ignition has been turned off and on again the error is gone, but logged in the DME. I finally changed the error value from 8800 to 0100 which fixed the issue for me. Starting from address 45B7A all 314 error codes are listed an can be edited if required. For cars with exhaust flap the error can be removed to if required.

- Chip tuning... I have installed the mod from hass in combination with a chip-tuning done by a german tuning company. They only changed the spark advance maps. Our german petrol is quite okay as the lowest rating you can buy is 95roz and 98+ is available almost anywhere, so there was lots of room for optimization. The torque, especially mid rpm is significantly more and top end i can feel the car reaching the factory speed limiter at 250kph with ease unlike before. The company claims without the car been for a dyno that the specs are around 285hp 345nm. They took the speed limiter off completely as they are running the mod on a race car but i've limited it to 7400 now. Normally i'm not exceeding the 7000 mark but i'm interested as well in getting rid of the soft limiter.

- Speed limiter... i did some playing and for my car address 45177 is the limiting value. Currently it is set to FF, original was FA which equals 250kph. Setting it to 0 only gives me 7kph ... I did lots of testing altering several time values and hysteresis values but somehow i'm stuck with having a limiter. What ever i did, nothing changed the behavior of the car when running into the speed limiter. The original FA setting gave me 254kph on GPS so i trust now it is around 259 kph on FF, but haven't tried it yet. It might be pretty much the top end anyways.

- Sport Mode... I'm very keen on trying the sport mode, unfortunately my car has an exhaust flap, so the pin is not available. I thought there must be a software solution to this. Looking at the e89 description file which is around the internet i found a value which is looking very interesting in my eyes, so i translated it to our current version. Address 49620 is the Sport switch calibration, 0 means off 1 means on. I'm not sure if it activates the sport mode as nothing obvious changes in my car. As well there is a value available which determines if the car is a exhaust flap or a sport button car. If anyone finds a software only solution of getting it on i'd be happy to hear from it. As well i'd be very interested to find out how to program the throttle curve.

Regards from Germany!

Sven
Appreciate 1