View Single Post
      01-16-2016, 12:36 PM   #142
TDIwyse
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWR View Post
Choking has specific meaning in a turbomachine, in which air flow velocity is approaching local Mach of 1. The data you show doesn't indicate that is what is happening. Not trying to make a semantic arguement here, just trying to get the nomencature clear for discussion.

Also, what is commonly called "drive pressure" is an incomplete measurement to understand the work going into the turbine. Physically, it is the difference between EBP at the manifold and EBP after the turbine that creates the drive (I'm purposely not including impulse forces). This is exactly what was seen when the DOC/DPFs started coming off and turbo performance improved. The next layer of complication is turbine efficiency, which varies with flow, expansion ratio, and turbine speed. Any "linear" analysis of the dynamics can lead to false conclusions.
Thanks for a fantastic overview and description, and correcting my improper use of terms.

Since you showed those images, I should update that I had that according flex pipe spring a leak, and since went to a solid mandrel bend stainless pipe for the manifold to EWG connection.

Question for those who've done turbo swaps on this platform... if we didn't need the IWG any longer, does that open up any other possibilities for turbo upgrade options? Different hot side possibilities? Or is space so tight, and the integration into the R2S system such, that we are extremely limited on what can be done?