View Single Post
      03-01-2016, 09:30 AM   #257
AlanAZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 325i sport manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanAZ View Post
I bought a Bosch Group 49 battery which is infamous for either going flat in 2 wks, or in one case that I read, exploding (from overcharging) without registering it as a new battery.

Beware of Bosch batteries, the first one I got at Pep boys had one cell's level below the plates, the second they gave me, the top was not sealed to the body correctly, and it leaked acid over my hands and the wiring when I was installing it. The third one is in and working, higher CCA does mean nice quick starts, but not worth the hassle.
A follow-up on how this battery did: It lasted 4.5 years, which is pretty good in the hot Phoenix area. It came with a prorated 96 month warranty, and after that was factored in, cost $96 w/tax to replace, a good deal.

However, yet again, problems with the batteries at the store. The first one , the vent hose connector was broken almost all the way through - possible shipping damage? The second one, that connector was malformed, and the elbow that goes to the car's hose didn't have an air tight connection. The third one was good, even the water/acid level in the cells was spot-on.

If you buy these Bosch batteries, check them carefully before you pay and leave with it.

I registered the new battery using the K+DCAN cable and free BMWLogger software from Bimmer Software vs. paying my indie again, and I can check for and clear codes with it.

Last edited by AlanAZ; 03-01-2016 at 09:42 AM..
Appreciate 0