Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by blown07 View Post
I know I asked this question before but I will ask again. If you had the front drive shaft off and you still had the shudder than why replace the transfer case motor? Your response was the rear drive shaft goes through the transfer case....true but the rear driveshaft has a direct connection to the transmission and has nothing to do with the transfer case motor when the front drive shaft is removed. The transfer case motor only determines how much torque is applied to the front wheels through a wet clutch. If the front driveshaft is removed then there is zero load on the transfer case front output shaft.....unless there is a serious bearing problem in the xfer case. The amount of torque is determined by the VTG module and must be reset when changing oil or motor actuator due to the Resistor class. The only software I know and have used to do this is the DIS software. I would say the problem is you have never reset the transfer case properly but you had the front drive shaft off so I'm not sure.

Did removing the front drive shaft reduce the shudder at all?
removing the front driveshaft had no impact on the shudder.

i unplugged the transfer case actuator motor and perceived a 80-90% reduction in shudder, so I thought the motor needed to be replaced.

I started another thread looking for assitance with the transfer case reset, which I still need to do for the new motor (http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1234873). "To access it in INPA, go to E90 -> Transmission -> Gearbox / DXC VGSG. You should be able to default code it with NCS-Expert and calibrate it with INPA. Hope that helps, good luck."

I am brand new to coding, so a bit weary. Not really sure how to "default code it with NCS-Expert" or "calibrate it with INPA"
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0