07-09-2016, 01:36 AM   #75
vtl
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 135i MT

Hey mate,

Heres my experience on the VRSF charge pipe:

- Uses non standard throttle body oring to stock (flange is out of spec and needs a thicker oring to seat and seal properly). Using a stock oring may or may not run the risk of boost leaks. One of my other friends asked for a replacment and received a selection of different thickness orings (you can tell they have confidence in their products)
- Rubs against power steering hose because the pipe is too thick and the bend doesnt get it out of the way
- Map sensor flange cuts map sensor orings easily, I've had to chamfer the map sensor oring flange on it with a drill bit to allow the oring to seat properly without cutting. After chamfering the edge the oring sealed properly and didn't leak anymore.
- HKS flange is prone to leaks. The c-clip is a nightmare and required a hammer and drift to seat it properly after many attempts. The c-clip can appear to seat but just wiggling the BOV back and forth with a little force will result the BOV in popping out of the flange.

I pressurized the hot side of the intercooler with an air compressor to test the leaks in the system. After fixing up the leaks the system held 30psi no problems. I suggest you hook your intake up to some sort of tool to pressure test it and diagnose where the leak is coming from.

Needless to say I am not impressed with aftermarket charge pipes and will stick to the OEM pre-2009 stock charge pipes which are not prone to cracking. Post 2009 build car's charge pipes are the ones that blow up.