View Single Post
      08-22-2016, 12:23 PM   #1
Camman
What am I doing here?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i 6MT

Post Another BC Racing Coilover Review

Well, now that I have everything working properly and I've gotten the suspension broken in, I figured I would give a overall review on these coilovers.

I don't have a lot of experience with different suspension setups so I can't say how these coilovers ride compared to the other recommended setups in the same price range (megan, kw/st v1 etc). My previous car (97 Camry), I was on drop springs and tokico shocks, followed by ground control sleeves which did not ride well on those shocks. I was on the springs for a while before getting the sleeves. I went that route so I could have a better drop.

Now onto this car. Since I was not happy with drop springs, I told myself I would do coilovers on the next car, which was this one. I wanted dampening adjustability and I had read many good reviews on the BC's so I figured why not. I had read that they do ride pretty stiff but were not bone jarring. I don't mind a stiffer ride so I pulled the trigger on them. The install was pretty easy and went smoothly. Took about only 3-4 hours roughly.

After the install I took it out on the road and immediately I could tell the car had transformed. It was much stiffer than I imagined but I had also not adjusted the dampers at all so I think it was at 15f and 15r. One thing I noticed was the that the front seemed to have a LOT less travel than the rear. Going over speed bumps the front is not forgiving. The rear is actually very soft going over speed bumps, which confused me since the spring rates are 8kg front and 12kg rear. I guess I don't fully understand how springs and shocks work or the difference between coilovers and multi link systems.

Anyways, I finally got the height dialed in and have done some dampening adjustment. My current setting it 8 from full soft in the front and 12 from full soft in the back. What I've come to find out is that these coilovers are very comfortable if the road your traveling on is not completely torn up. If you travel on roads that are full of big bumps/dips, the coils will not be forgiving. It's not unstable but it is kinda a lot to handle. If the roads are average, it will drive just fine. On my highways, I think it's more comfortable than the old sport suspension. It handles potholes pretty well, too. The sharp impacts are soaked up very well. Better than my old suspension for sure.

I did put these to full stiff, and holy shit, this is waaay too stiff for the streets. Definitely do not recommend going full stiff for the streets lol

As far as handling goes, it has improved dramatically. It's awesome how flat the car stays when taking sharp turns. I'm very happy with how much more confidence it gives me when going into a turn.

Now onto noise, I had some issues with clunking but I found out a sway bar endlink had come loose. Other than that these coilovers are quiet. They don't make a single sound when turning full lock or on rough roads. Road noise hasn't really gotten any louder too. At least not enough for me to really notice.

Overall, I am happy with these coilovers. I can understand why some people will say coilovers are not meant for everyone. These are comfortable but probably too stiff for some people and circumstances. Next thing to see is how well they hold up over time.

I have new control arms and tension struts coming in this week so I'm sure the car will feel even better once those are installed.

Let me know if you have any questions.

P.S. the signature below is the current ride height. The front could go another 1/2inch lower and the back has plenty more room to go lower.

Last edited by Camman; 09-07-2016 at 08:54 AM..
Appreciate 2