View Single Post
      09-26-2016, 04:01 PM   #135
PhaseP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by alx. View Post
Hi Phase, the connector looks good, it doesn't look faulty and the old MAF throws no code, only when i plug in the new maf do i get 2D06. This points to a vacuum leak or perhaps a bad valve.
The connector will look good, you cannot judge by its looks. I had similar problem if not same symptoms like you, didn't suspect the connection tried lots of other things and eventually found for good that it was the electrical connection. It has been 3 weeks I replaced my Maf connector housing and cleaned the pins real good in the process and I have had no issues since.
There are four things going on I believe: the internal springs of the pins get looser as this connection is undone and done due to it being on the way for many jobs to work on the car. The second the connector housing also gets s little sloppy in there again for same reason. Third by time some corrosion, dirt, oil later builds up on the connections, you cannot visually see these. Fourth the MAF connection side pins look too thin to me from production to give good contact.
A good cleaning with a good purpose contact cleaner cleans them up. Opening the connector housing allows full access to the pins for cleaning.
My two cents, easy to test , and I believe many of those complaining about idle issues may be easily fixing them with this.
Vacuum leak will cause lean codes.
Appreciate 0