Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Wagon

Garage List
2007 BMW 328xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by xthejuicex View Post
I would avoid those liftstands. If you ever have to do any suspension work, they will be useless since you need the tire attached to lift the car.
I have normal 2 ton jack stands for any items related to suspension, wheels, tires, brakes. I like the height that the liftstands would provide for all other jobs.

Quote:
I've pulled the trans and t-case out myself and I used the Harbor Freight 3 ton jack stands. They are a good deal taller than normal jack stands.
You trusted the jack stands at their highest setting? How tall are the 3 ton stands you have (I'd like to compare to my 2 ton)?

Quote:
Also you may want to get the Low Lift trans jack from there too. It has helped me a bunch (http://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-...ack-61232.html)
this looks very helpful, thanks.

Quote:
In regards to your jack not going high enough, use a block of wood on the jack or get a better floor jack.
the liftstands guy recommended this specific jack - http://www.harborfreight.com/2-ton-l...ump-60678.html

Quote:
Everything I've suggested is much cheaper than the LiftStands and much more versatile. Good Luck!
Yea, the liftstands are expensive at $686 shipped to me, and I would still need to buy the transmission jack you posted ($99.99), and the low-pro long reach floor jack ($139.99). Granted this would all probably cost less than the labor to have the shop do the job for me, but I would walk away with some pretty good tools. Obviously, it's much cheaper to just get 3 ton jack stands, the trans jack, and the floor jack.

Thanks for your input.
2007 328xi Wagon, Black Sapphire Metallic, Sports Package, Cold Weather Package, Rear PDC, Airlift kit with 3P mgmt, CF Akrym rep lip, LCI M-Tech front bumper, LUX Angel Eyes, Black Kidneys, LED Interior Lights, M3 Steering Wheel with Extended Billet DCT Paddles, 19" Staggered VMR 710's
Appreciate 0